Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

DAYLIGHT SAVING QLD have your save

DAYLIGHT SAVING QLD have your save

Old Nov 4th 2007, 1:00 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DAYLIGHT SAVING QLD have your save

Originally Posted by comet555
You're on the right track now. Looks like you're getting closer!
pmsl... listen im an OLD FART !! takes me a little time.. but has shown the true colours of some rude ppl on British Expats.. so its a learning curve ty
Old Nov 4th 2007, 1:12 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
It's not just the French - it's the whole of western Europe.

Portugal has swung around in seemingly indecision since the early 90s.
Mainly France and Spain. Although in Spain (France to a lesser extent) the work day tends to start "late" so in practice Spain is not far off Western Europe time anyway.

Portugal has experimented twice with Central European Time, in 1966-76 and 1992-96. In neither case it worked (makes no sense to have the Sun-time and clock time so far apart).
Old Nov 4th 2007, 1:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
(makes no sense to have the Sun-time and clock time so far apart).
You can arbitarily change the clocks but you have to make it realistic and workable.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 3:54 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
pmsl... listen im an OLD FART !! takes me a little time.. but has shown the true colours of some rude ppl on British Expats.. so its a learning curve ty

Yes, there are always good and bad responses on this board.

But at least you've made an effort to try and understand it better. That's a lot more than a lot of other QLD people seem to do.

I don't have a problem with people being anti daylight savings, as long as they understand how it actually works. But to be against it and not understand or even make an effort to figure it out annoys me. It's like people saying "electricity is bad....don't know why, but it's bad."

I can respect someone that says no to daylight savings if they can explain why they don't like it (as long as their reasons are valid).
Old Nov 4th 2007, 7:44 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555

Yes, there are always good and bad responses on this board.

But at least you've made an effort to try and understand it better. That's a lot more than a lot of other QLD people seem to do.

I don't have a problem with people being anti daylight savings, as long as they understand how it actually works. But to be against it and not understand or even make an effort to figure it out annoys me. It's like people saying "electricity is bad....don't know why, but it's bad."

I can respect someone that says no to daylight savings if they can explain why they don't like it (as long as their reasons are valid).
think thats where I was at fault, for which i apologise to all.. i understood it to be clocks goin back...

However if they go fwd at this hotter time of year , thats only a good thing.. thankyou for your explanations
Old Nov 4th 2007, 9:57 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Just market it as an extra hour's fishing after work, and you'd get a large qld vote or it.. why not make it two hours !!!
Old Nov 4th 2007, 11:09 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

think thats where I was at fault, for which i apologise to all.. i understood it to be clocks goin back...

However if they go fwd at this hotter time of year , thats only a good thing.. thankyou for your explanations
No problem....can you tell I'm totally for daylight savings?

I've just never been a morning person, no matter how hard I try. So it drives me crazy when the sun sets at 5 or 6pm. My husband only gets home at 5 so it doesn't leave much time for us to go out and do anything as a family.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 11:11 am
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by datamile
Just market it as an extra hour's fishing after work, and you'd get a large qld vote or it.. why not make it two hours !!!
Two hours would be great for me!

The town we moved from in Canada would have sun for a long time in the summer. I remember weeding my garden at 11 o'clock at night because it was still so bright out! Unfortunately the winters were pretty bleak and it was only light out while you were at work.

Even with daylight savings it was still out of whack because we were so far north. It would have been a lot worse without it though.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Dennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to all

I'm a tradie also and cannot start work on site before 7am (residential areas) so its bloody annoying it being light at 5am and not being able to work. Getting home and its dark at 6.30pm so little time to to take a walk down the beach with the dogs or relax by the pool with a cold one. But now its great daylight an hour later so more time to get out in the evenings and wind down from a good day or bad day at work.
I am all for it, here in Perth there are many against DLS but i have not heard one reasonable reason for not having it. The people who are against it here are making all the noise and voting against it and want the 3 year trial stopped without even giving it a chance and want a referendum now, whilst the ones who are for it are enjoying it and getting out in the evenings, the anti ones are moaning about the extra hour every day. To some they think we now have a 25hr day despite hypothetically the day they went forward there was only 23hrs in that day and there will be 25 hrs in the day they go back. Some people just don't like a change in their routine and will not listen to the advantages of DLS
Old Nov 4th 2007, 11:30 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Dennis The Menace
I'm a tradie also and cannot start work on site before 7am (residential areas) so its bloody annoying it being light at 5am and not being able to work. Getting home and its dark at 6.30pm so little time to to take a walk down the beach with the dogs or relax by the pool with a cold one. But now its great daylight an hour later so more time to get out in the evenings and wind down from a good day or bad day at work.
I am all for it, here in Perth there are many against DLS but i have not heard one reasonable reason for not having it. The people who are against it here are making all the noise and voting against it and want the 3 year trial stopped without even giving it a chance and want a referendum now, whilst the ones who are for it are enjoying it and getting out in the evenings, the anti ones are moaning about the extra hour every day. To some they think we now have a 25hr day despite hypothetically the day they went forward there was only 23hrs in that day and there will be 25 hrs in the day they go back. Some people just don't like a change in their routine and will not listen to the advantages of DLS

I am also in same boat, but on site.. can start at 6am..which is or was my concern with DST
Old Nov 4th 2007, 11:44 am
Canuck/Aussie

I am also in same boat, but on site.. can start at 6am..which is or was my concern with DST
It is now your mission to convert all the other tradies. Maybe someday it'll happen!

Old Nov 4th 2007, 11:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if nothing else this thread has given me a good laugh - sorry Timber. At the end of the day it's all totally irrelevant. Captain Bligh has made her mind up and that's that. I don't think she would care if she received letters from every person in QLD asking for it. She still wouldn't do it.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 8:56 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Well, if nothing else this thread has given me a good laugh - sorry Timber. At the end of the day it's all totally irrelevant. Captain Bligh has made her mind up and that's that. I don't think she would care if she received letters from every person in QLD asking for it. She still wouldn't do it.
If enough people in Brisbane and SE Queensland feel strongly enough about it there could be a different Premier after the next election.

From the outside, having a separate timezone for the SE of the states makes sense. Quite a few U.S. states and Canadian provinces are split by timezone, as is NSW (Broken Hill area) and it doesn't cause the world to stop functioning.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 10:00 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
If enough people in Brisbane and SE Queensland feel strongly enough about it there could be a different Premier after the next election.

From the outside, having a separate timezone for the SE of the states makes sense. Quite a few U.S. states and Canadian provinces are split by timezone, as is NSW (Broken Hill area) and it doesn't cause the world to stop functioning.
Getting rid of her won't necessarily help. Before she took over, Beattie finally agreed to another referendum for the SE and she agreed. Put her in the chair and she changes her mind. I have noticed that what a Politian says in the lead up to an election doesn't necessarily get put into action after
Old Nov 4th 2007, 10:18 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

I'm all for it too. I've even converted the girlfriend from regional QLD (where I can honestly say DST wouldn't make total sense).

They need a trial in SEQ. They had a statewide one, which failed. Lets try a SEQ trial, and see if that works.

I for one have real trouble finding time to do work in the yard after I get home from work (and I'm rarely in a position to waste my weekends doing it.) Great, I can do it in the 4 hours before I go to work in the morning. Erm, no. I can't. The council noise regulations tell me I can't. And, I cycle to work every day. Do you know how hot it is at 8am compared to 7am!!

I am lucky. My work hasn't said anything about the fact that I am living my own DST (I've put all my clocks forward.)

I have the e-petition link on the bottom of *every* email I send also.

Come on Queensland, do the right thing for SEQ.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.