Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Day the Surveyors Came.........

The Day the Surveyors Came.........

Old Dec 13th 2005, 6:24 pm
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice
Default Re: The Day the Surveyors Came.........

Originally Posted by glittababe
the violins are a going! Both Mark and I were one of 5 kids and grew up with virtually nothing, both of us working by the age of 13 and it made us appreciate money etc We've never molly coddled them, plenty of hugs and kisses but we're teaching them responsibility from the start. A typical day for them consists of getting themselves up at 7am, getting their own school uniform sorted and making their own breakfast plus sandwiches! It sounds harsh, but they enjoy it. When we go shopping, they have a set amount and get what they'd like for their sarnies etc Pocket money has to be earnt, and if they're naughty, it gets taken away!

We still do all the normal things like going out on family trips, bike rides, family meals, but the boys have to make a lot of decisions for themselves. Mark being ex military, tends to do a lot of the survival stuff with them (he does it without thinking) and all of them have a good dose of common sense and are grounded.

I say that, until with get to Ollie our youngest!!! He needs help (well he's only 6) and we try and encourage him to do more. he's so lazy tho, he's clicked that as the youngest, the older boys will do whatever he wants! Little bugger!

So do you really think chavs are chavs because they've been molly coddled?

I think that has a lot to do with it, they assume that other people will always pick up the pieces and answer for their actions!

I can't say enough how much I agree with your methods in bringing up your children.......they look happy and healthy! My ol' man was a Navy career man, away all the time, mum liked her men (god rest her soul), and wasn't home a lot! My Bruv (twin) was battling with his sexuality from an early age and didn't want a lot to do with me (now a confirmed chutney burglar ) so, pretty much, we had to fend for ourselves! Dad, always said I'd be a nobody, so I became a Para and stuck that belief up his axxxx!

I really strongly believe that kids should be made to realise the consequences of their actions from an early age and that if they want something they have to earn it!

[My god, what a philisophical post that was]

Old Dec 13th 2005, 6:26 pm
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

the violins are a going! Both Mark and I were one of 5 kids and grew up with virtually nothing, both of us working by the age of 13 and it made us appreciate money etc We've never molly coddled them, plenty of hugs and kisses but we're teaching them responsibility from the start. A typical day for them consists of getting themselves up at 7am, getting their own school uniform sorted and making their own breakfast plus sandwiches! It sounds harsh, but they enjoy it. When we go shopping, they have a set amount and get what they'd like for their sarnies etc Pocket money has to be earnt, and if they're naughty, it gets taken away!

We still do all the normal things like going out on family trips, bike rides, family meals, but the boys have to make a lot of decisions for themselves. Mark being ex military, tends to do a lot of the survival stuff with them (he does it without thinking) and all of them have a good dose of common sense and are grounded.

I say that, until with get to Ollie our youngest!!! He needs help (well he's only 6) and we try and encourage him to do more. he's so lazy tho, he's clicked that as the youngest, the older boys will do whatever he wants! Little bugger!

So do you really think chavs are chavs because they've been molly coddled?
Good for you, so many kids are molly coddled and they end up as brats. My best mates little boy (whom I love dearly so dont get me wrong) is molly coddled, and for a while was a bugger. Tantrums galore. I felt like saying something to my mate, but didnt really have the right as I have never had a 3 year old, but I did think she was far to easy on him. He is a lovely kid now, but still has the occasional "moment" We are trying to teach Harry to fend for himself. At 20 months he is too young to do things for himself, but he will get the juice out of the cupboard when he is thirsty, and knows to put his toys away before dinner etc. Small steps.

Anyway, completely off the point. Glad your survey is OK. I am bricking it personally, I know any surveryor is going to take one look at my roof and put a big black mark on his form :scared: Got to get an offer first though, so no point worrying yet.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ
I think that has a lot to do with it, they assume that other people will always pick up the pieces and answer for their actions!

I can't say enough how much I agree with your methods in bringing up your children.......they look happy and healthy! My ol' man was a Navy career man, away all the time, mum liked her men (god rest her soul), and wasn't home a lot! My Bruv (twin) was battling with his sexuality from an early age and didn't want a lot to do with me (now a confirmed chutney burglar ) so, pretty much, we had to fend for ourselves! Dad, always said I'd be a nobody, so I became a Para and stuck that belief up his axxxx!

I really strongly believe that kids should be made to realise the consequences of their actions from an early age and that if they want something they have to earn it!

[My god, what a philisophical post that was]

Hurrah!!!! We're not that shallow after all! That was very deep and meaningful Rob, I'm impressed! My son's just looked over my shoulder and asked what a chutney burglar is!!! I've told him someone who steals preserves! well done on getting out of the rut, it takes guts. Mark and i were both told very similar things and when i got pregnant at 19, my whole family did the 'told you so' thing. They were gobsmacked when i carried on at uni, put Cameron in childcare, did my shifts and stayed awake writing essays until 2am! You don't realise how bad things were until you do a spot of reflection!

mark definately had it worst! his family are a bunch of GTB's (gypsy thieveing bastards). He grew up in a caravan etc etc Most of his brothers are either in prison, or have just got out. He was the only one that never felt the urge to nick anything! So he joined the army, and after that the police force. Also did landscaping for a while and was a HGV driver. So his options are open, altho he'll be transferring to Qld Police when we finally get there.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anastasia Beaverhausen
Good for you, so many kids are molly coddled and they end up as brats. My best mates little boy (whom I love dearly so dont get me wrong) is molly coddled, and for a while was a bugger. Tantrums galore. I felt like saying something to my mate, but didnt really have the right as I have never had a 3 year old, but I did think she was far to easy on him. He is a lovely kid now, but still has the occasional "moment" We are trying to teach Harry to fend for himself. At 20 months he is too young to do things for himself, but he will get the juice out of the cupboard when he is thirsty, and knows to put his toys away before dinner etc. Small steps.

Anyway, completely off the point. Glad your survey is OK. I am bricking it personally, I know any surveryor is going to take one look at my roof and put a big black mark on his form :scared: Got to get an offer first though, so no point worrying yet.
I was worried about our roof, but they mentioned a thing! When we first brought the house, the surveyor at the time said the roof would need replacing. That was 12 yrs ago. Well, due to finances, we didn't touch the roof and it just passed the inspection! Hurrah!
Old Dec 13th 2005, 7:09 pm
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Hurrah!!!! We're not that shallow after all! That was very deep and meaningful Rob, I'm impressed! My son's just looked over my shoulder and asked what a chutney burglar is!!! I've told him someone who steals preserves! well done on getting out of the rut, it takes guts. Mark and i were both told very similar things and when i got pregnant at 19, my whole family did the 'told you so' thing. They were gobsmacked when i carried on at uni, put Cameron in childcare, did my shifts and stayed awake writing essays until 2am! You don't realise how bad things were until you do a spot of reflection!

mark definately had it worst! his family are a bunch of GTB's (gypsy thieveing bastards). He grew up in a caravan etc etc Most of his brothers are either in prison, or have just got out. He was the only one that never felt the urge to nick anything! So he joined the army, and after that the police force. Also did landscaping for a while and was a HGV driver. So his options are open, altho he'll be transferring to Qld Police when we finally get there.

Looked into joining Perth police, but seems it's a bit of a mare for someone like me with no qual's!! Read something about degrees n'stuff

and, hey........I can do the whole ' nice guy thing' you know!! I'm not all bad!

Old Dec 13th 2005, 7:38 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

GB, Glad you survived..

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 13th 2005, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ
Looked into joining Perth police, but seems it's a bit of a mare for someone like me with no qual's!! Read something about degrees n'stuff

and, hey........I can do the whole ' nice guy thing' you know!! I'm not all bad!

ignore that about degrees, if you're over 30 something they go on life experience. Mark's is more of a simple process as its a transfer, altho he still has to apply and go through a shortened selection process, fitness test etc Right, I'm off to work, short staffed so have been called in for the night shift. After a day with the surveyors, all I want to do is go to bed!
Old Dec 13th 2005, 7:49 pm
Account Closed

ignore that about degrees, if you're over 30 something they go on life experience. Mark's is more of a simple process as its a transfer, altho he still has to apply and go through a shortened selection process, fitness test etc Right, I'm off to work, short staffed so have been called in for the night shift. After a day with the surveyors, all I want to do is go to bed!
Thanx for that GB, interesting bit of info (you never cease to amaze me)!!!

Might have to look into that further when we get there...another option!

Have a good night, deffo dont work too hard.........