Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Day Great Britain Plc died for you ??

The Day Great Britain Plc died for you ??

Old Sep 15th 2006, 4:13 pm
careful what you wish 4

dougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud of
Default The Day Great Britain Plc died for you ??

being an uber Victor Meldrew with regards to the uk, despite being one of gods chosen people who still actually live here,
I would be interested in the views of people who are similiarly minded to this once great country`s future..

For me GB plc died with the death of (well almost, ) of
Equitable Life - this was a three hundred year old company that stood for everything the UK was, fair play, honesty and doing things for the long term, and was ruined over-night by suits who where / did none of these things...

I believe the good people of the UK owe one `Trillion` pounds collectivly on their credit cards and surely the day of reconing is fast approaching and hopefully I will be 8,000 miles away when it does..
Old Sep 15th 2006, 7:55 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Day Great Britain Plc died for you ??

Originally Posted by dougggy
being an uber Victor Meldrew with regards to the uk, despite being one of gods chosen people who still actually live here,
I would be interested in the views of people who are similiarly minded to this once great country`s future..

Equitable Life - this was a three hundred year old company that stood for everything the UK was, fair play, honesty and doing things for the long term, and was ruined over-night by suits who where / did none of these things...

I believe the good people of the UK owe one `Trillion` pounds collectivly on their credit cards and surely the day of reconing is fast approaching and hopefully I will be 8,000 miles away when it does..
Just avoid Oz then, the personnal debt and house price bubble that has plagued the UK has also been in full force in Oz. I agree the day of reckoning is approaching the UK and Gordon Browns debt fuelled fantasy economy, the same can also be said for Australia I am afraid.

The cracks are already starting to show in the Australian economy, only a matter of time before Blighty goes the same way.

http://www.moneyweek.com/file/18349/...ty-slump-.html

BTW Britain has not died, that is quite frankly a ridiculous statement. It is merely suffering the same fate as the rest of the Anglophone world, high debt and high house prices caused by interest rates that are far too low.

If you think Australia is any different to the UK regarding debt and people living beyond their means,then you are truly deluded.

Last edited by eatstatic; Sep 15th 2006 at 8:04 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

It's been a gradual drip drip for me.

From the lack of morals, lack of respect, lack of appropriate punishment for offenders, lack of decent public transport, lack of sensible immigration policy, lack of national identity, etc, etc.

The increasingly maddening and often ludicrous PC-ness that stifles everything it touches. The way our leaders and decision-makers ( national govt., local govt., leaders of companies and organistaions ) bow to the lobbyists and pressure groups at the expense of the great majority.

Foreign policy, in oh so many ways.

The unwillingness to deport those who openly wish to destroy our country and our way of life ( or perhaps it's the inability to do so, due to our legal system ).

The weather.

I could go on and on and on.

However, Britain still has many good things about it. But that wasn't the question.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Oh good another lets all slit our wrists and pop some vallium with our coffee thread

What is the point of these threads , people moving from a country because of problem XYZ to a country that also has problem XYZ.

Move but dont build up another westernised nation with the same problems and a greedy me me me population into something its not.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

GB died in 1997 when Tony Blair came to power.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 10:17 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Gin lane ( see attached) taken from an engraving after the passing of the Gin act in 1751, many people saw the cheap price and distribution of gin leading to the morale decay of Britain.
Press ganging in Nelson's time meant you could be innocently walking down the street and end up serving on a ship at sea for years during Britain's times of needs.
Then there was child labor in many of Britain's factories and coal mines, go back and look at some of the statistics of deaths in child labor before Lord Shaftesbury helped with many child labor laws in the mid 1800's.( see attached photo of some Manchester child factory workers).
Dickens wrote about the squalor and social conditions in Victorian England in the late 1800's.
Then there was the Great War.............................. etc. etc. etc.
Yeah the good old days.
Load of bollocks
Attached Thumbnails The Day Great Britain Plc died for you ??-gin-lane.jpg   The Day Great Britain Plc died for you ??-manchester-factory-children.jpg  

Last edited by Lord Lionheart; Sep 15th 2006 at 10:20 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 10:21 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Just be glad you're not in the US...

Enron?

Halliburton?

... can't be arsed to add to the list but you'll get the drift
Old Sep 15th 2006, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I think after I'd spent a while in Perth.

In my opinion, it knocked spots off anywhere in the UK.

And I liked the pies and bread from Brumby's bakers.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

johnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of lightjohnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of lightjohnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of lightjohnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of lightjohnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of lightjohnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of lightjohnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of lightjohnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of lightjohnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of lightjohnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of lightjohnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of light

Regrettably the people have voted in a labour government. If you stop and look at what they have done and stop Gordon Brown being classed as a good chancellor, you will find the root of Britain's problems. Its still better than Europe though.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

I was overjoyed when Blair was voted in for the first time. I think the country needed a change.

It does appear to have gone tits-up in many ways, though, and I think Brown will be a disaster.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 11:27 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

UK is a brilliant country. Not being run at it's best at the moment but no other country is either.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 11:56 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
UK is a brilliant country. Not being run at it's best at the moment but no other country is either.
I agree 100%

Rule Brittania.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 12:04 am
gsb
Cake or Death

gsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
GB died in 1997 when Tony Blair came to power.

Very much mistaken.....

The rot started with Maggie......She created the "me" society and sold back to the people what they already owned. Tony Bliar only managed to help its decline.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 12:05 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>Re: The Day Great Britain Plc died for you ??<<

The day the government backed down in humiliation over the poll tax.

A noisy and sometimes violent minority who had never paid a cent towards local upkeep, yet were able to vote into power those who maintained the status quo, and were determined that they never *would* pay were able to overturn logic. The fact that many on low incomes would have their rates halved - such as my grandmother - was trampled underfoot.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

UK is still a great country!
But depends on your outlook.
If you'd have been born in many many other countries around the world you'd give your left arm to be British born, have free education, access to the NHS, have freedom of speech and expression etc etc etc...
Some people take this all for granted and moan about what ails the UK. When they don't want to take notice of people being driven out of their homes, murdered etc etc for being the wrong religion/race/sexuality. People who are starving to death around the world simply due to being born in the wrong place at the wrong time, where warlords control who gets what and they have no voice or power in their own country!

Oh and if you think there's no problems with consumer spending in Aus then you're in for a big surprise! But as they don't earn as much and less than half UK's population then they wouldn't be in the same amount of debt.#

Really don't know why people have to knock UK simple as they're leaving it! UK is a great place to be as is Australia, both countries have many problems, but compared to many other countries they fall into insignificance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.