British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Davis Cup semi-final GB vs Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/davis-cup-semi-final-gb-vs-australia-865338/)

OzTennis Sep 17th 2015 4:29 pm

Davis Cup semi-final GB vs Australia

Tomorrow, in Glasgow it starts. GB are overwhelming favourites as Andy should win both his singles and will almost certainly play doubles with brother Jamie. Leon Smith, GB captain sprung a surprise today by naming Dan Evans (rather than James Ward) as the 2nd singles player but it will probably be irrelevant as even if Evans loses both his singles Andy should win 3 matches.

There's much happening with the RWC starting and Davis Cup over the weekend. Don't bother posting how much bigger the RWC is, who is Andy Murray etc. :rofl: The Davis Cup is an annual event involving, this year 126 nations, and GB and Australia are in the last 4. I give GB an excellent chance to win the semi and the final as the other semi is between Argentina and Belgium.

It will be difficult for me and I'll almost be a neutral; almost. ;)

Amazulu Sep 18th 2015 6:59 am

Re: Davis Cup semi-final GB vs Australia

Originally Posted by OzTennis (Post 11751264)
Tomorrow, in Glasgow it starts. GB are overwhelming favourites as Andy should win both his singles and will almost certainly play doubles with brother Jamie. Leon Smith, GB captain sprung a surprise today by naming Dan Evans (rather than James Ward) as the 2nd singles player but it will probably be irrelevant as even if Evans loses both his singles Andy should win 3 matches.

There's much happening with the RWC starting and Davis Cup over the weekend. Don't bother posting how much bigger the RWC is, who is Andy Murray etc. :rofl: The Davis Cup is an annual event involving, this year 126 nations, and GB and Australia are in the last 4. I give GB an excellent chance to win the semi and the final as the other semi is between Argentina and Belgium.

It will be difficult for me and I'll almost be a neutral; almost. ;)

Boring as bat shit

RWC is much bigger - and better

OzTennis Sep 18th 2015 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 11751733)
Boring as bat shit

RWC is much bigger - and better

The anticipated moronic response!

Amazulu Sep 18th 2015 8:31 am

Originally Posted by OzTennis (Post 11751749)
The anticipated moronic response!

I've seen more fun in a burns unit

OzTennis Sep 18th 2015 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 11751781)
I've seen more fun in a burns unit

Well just eff off and post in a rugby thread if that's what lights your fire.

Amazulu Sep 18th 2015 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by OzTennis (Post 11751912)
Well just eff off and post in a rugby thread if that's what lights your fire.

Don't worry, I will

Lighting fires might get me in the burns unit - heaps more fun than the davis cup

OzTennis Sep 18th 2015 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 11751975)
Don't worry, I will

Lighting fires might get me in the burns unit - heaps more fun than the davis cup

You have established that you don't like tennis now run along and annoy someone else. I'm swithering now because at first I thought your comments in the main are moronic, now I'm wondering imbecilic or cretinous or idiotic? Cilic is a tennis player so probably imbecilic will do. :rofl:

Meanwhile in Glasgow, Murray played exceptionally well to beat Kokkinakis easily and Tomic is 2 sets up on Evans so going the way it was expected. The doubles tomorrow will be crucial as Kokkinakis should beat Evans and Murray should beat Tomic.

Amazulu Sep 19th 2015 6:07 am

Originally Posted by OzTennis (Post 11752148)
You have established that you don't like tennis now run along and annoy someone else. I'm swithering now because at first I thought your comments in the main are moronic, now I'm wondering imbecilic or cretinous or idiotic? Cilic is a tennis player so probably imbecilic will do. :rofl:

Meanwhile in Glasgow, Murray played exceptionally well to beat Kokkinakis easily and Tomic is 2 sets up on Evans so going the way it was expected. The doubles tomorrow will be crucial as Kokkinakis should beat Evans and Murray should beat Tomic.

Relax turbo, just playing your little game (see post #1)

Yes, I don't particularly like tennis and rugby is a far better sport but none of this masks the fact that you basically have a f**k load of issues

OzTennis Sep 19th 2015 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 11752645)
Relax turbo, just playing your little game (see post #1)

Yes, I don't particularly like tennis and rugby is a far better sport but none of this masks the fact that you basically have a f**k load of issues

There's no 'little game'. I would have issues if I went into the rugby thread (a game I'm not particularly interested in) and posted idiotic comments on the pretext of playing some game.

OzTennis Sep 21st 2015 7:11 pm

As expected, Andy Murray 3 Australia 2 and now GB is in the Davis Cup final for the first time since 1978. The final will be against Belgium, in Belgium, on indoor clay at the end of November. It will harder on that surface and away from Glasgow but I predict (and hope for) Andy Murray 3 Belgium 2.

nic75 Sep 21st 2015 8:07 pm

I was fortunate enough to get tickets for Friday and Sunday. Amazing atmosphere, good banter from fans of both sides. Loved every minute.

OzTennis Sep 23rd 2015 6:47 am

Originally Posted by nic75 (Post 11754461)
I was fortunate enough to get tickets for Friday and Sunday. Amazing atmosphere, good banter from fans of both sides. Loved every minute.

Lucky you, the website melted down in 5 minutes when we tried to get tickets.

nic75 Sep 23rd 2015 12:57 pm

Same here but my sister tried days after they went on sale and "sold out" and was able to purchase 4 lower tier seats for Sunday. Maybe the result of "bounced" credit cards and tickets coming back on sale. We used to find that happened when trying for T in the Park tickets for the kids.

OzTennis Sep 23rd 2015 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by nic75 (Post 11755845)
Same here but my sister tried days after they went on sale and "sold out" and was able to purchase 4 lower tier seats for Sunday. Maybe the result of "bounced" credit cards and tickets coming back on sale. We used to find that happened when trying for T in the Park tickets for the kids.

Interesting to know for next time; we gave up after the meltdown. A friend of mine from childhood days who I see every year at the Australian Open was there for all 3 days. He is on the board of the Aussie Davis Cup Foundation so had prime tickets in the 2nd row, just behind Hewitt's parents and the team. He was lucky also to be at the official dinners and could talk with the players and coaching staff. He's also one of the world's most renowned collectors of tennis memorabilia and has rackets, clothing, programmes, books, ..... you name it and where possible most of it has been signed by the famous person involved.

A couple of years ago he was also able to tell the Lacoste family in France, in response to their request for information, the exact origin of the crocodile logo as he had personal letters from Rene Lacoste explaining how he came up with it*. The Lacoste family flew him and his wife to the French Open and provided them with centre court tickets and accommodation for the fortnight as a thank you! I'm amazed how many people he knows when I'm with him at Melbourne as they go past - hello John (McEnroe), hello Roger (Federer), hello Rod (Laver), hello Serena (Williams) and so on. At some point they have autographed things belonging or relating to them which are in his collection.

* Rather than sell the letters for a 5 or 6 figure sum he photocopied them and gave the originals to the Lacoste family!