Wikiposts

The Dark Knight

Old Jul 20th 2008, 9:50 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up The Dark Knight

Went to see it at the weekend, seemed to be a bit disjointed but really enjoyed it excellent cast, Ledger was disturbingly brilliant. I just love Gary Oldman in anything he does and thankfully Katie Holmes didnt make a reappearence.. bonus

what do others think?
Old Jul 20th 2008, 10:48 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Dark Knight

We went to see it on Wednesday and really enjoyed it! even the wife gave it the thumbs up and she is usually not a fan of this type of film. As you say Ledger stole the show with a very good performance.

Originally Posted by Possums
Went to see it at the weekend, seemed to be a bit disjointed but really enjoyed it excellent cast, Ledger was disturbingly brilliant. I just love Gary Oldman in anything he does and thankfully Katie Holmes didnt make a reappearence.. bonus

what do others think?
Old Jul 20th 2008, 11:07 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

The latest series of Batman films are a blessing to anyone who followed the original comics, where the darkness of the villains came through with such clarity.

Ledger was simply extraordinary as the Joker. I know there have been a lot of conspiricy theories about his death and that the overdoes might not have been that accidental, that sources close to him said that he immersed himself into the role of the Joker so completely that he had struggled with sanity after filming ended. This was not helped by his next project, Gilliam's strange and the surreal Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, of which he completed about 10% before he died.

For the record TDK is not a "kids film", while Batman Begins was kind of dark it was still watchable for younger kids. Where as Dark Knight is very firmly not for the fient of heart. I don't know what moron decided to take a group of mentally handicapped adults to the first showing of the film last Wednesday, but their screams in the theatre only added to the tone of what was a very dark and disturbing, brilliantly acted, film.

Ledgers Joker was one of the most gripping portrails of Psychopathy with Aggressive Narcissism (as defined by Dr Robert Hayes PCL-R: Factor 1) that I have yet seen. Even better than Michael Rooker in Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer.

Gripping.

Last edited by bigAPE; Jul 20th 2008 at 11:09 am.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 2:42 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigAPE
The latest series of Batman films are a blessing to anyone who followed the original comics, where the darkness of the villains came through with such clarity.

Ledger was simply extraordinary as the Joker. I know there have been a lot of conspiricy theories about his death and that the overdoes might not have been that accidental, that sources close to him said that he immersed himself into the role of the Joker so completely that he had struggled with sanity after filming ended. This was not helped by his next project, Gilliam's strange and the surreal Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, of which he completed about 10% before he died.

For the record TDK is not a "kids film", while Batman Begins was kind of dark it was still watchable for younger kids. Where as Dark Knight is very firmly not for the fient of heart. I don't know what moron decided to take a group of mentally handicapped adults to the first showing of the film last Wednesday, but their screams in the theatre only added to the tone of what was a very dark and disturbing, brilliantly acted, film.

Ledgers Joker was one of the most gripping portrails of Psychopathy with Aggressive Narcissism (as defined by Dr Robert Hayes PCL-R: Factor 1) that I have yet seen. Even better than Michael Rooker in Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer.

Gripping.
Wow Barry Norman couldnt have said it better totally agree not one for kids.

btw my first word was Batman mutch to disgust of my parents hes always been my hero from the tv series to Michael Keaton who I thought was brill. Lost interest with kilmer, clooney but thank god for Christian Bale
Old Jul 20th 2008, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

jdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud of

We saw this at the drive-in last Thursday - I thought it was brilliant!!! I agree that Heath Ledger stole the show but I loved Gary Oldman as well. It was very dark but I didn't scream!!!
Old Jul 20th 2008, 4:37 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

In my book Gary Oldman's finest role ever was as the drug crazed Lt Stansfield in Luc Besson's classic Léon, closely followed by his role as the hysterical Zorg in the other Besson great The Fifth Element.

Yes, I am biased as I'm a huge fan of Luc Besson. For those that have not seen his latest work Taken, with Liam Neeson, I can highly recommend it. It will be out in September.

Al
Old Jul 20th 2008, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

btw my first word was Batman mutch to disgust of my parents hes always been my hero from the tv series to Michael Keaton who I thought was brill. Lost interest with kilmer, clooney but thank god for Christian Bale
When you say not for the kids, where would you draw the line? My 11 year-old lad is quite keen on seeing it?
Old Jul 20th 2008, 5:11 pm
No Clean Feed

Originally Posted by spartacus
When you say not for the kids, where would you draw the line? My 11 year-old lad is quite keen on seeing it?
I would say that's borderline but then my kids are used to watching slightly older films, however we know families who wouldn't show Transformers to an 8 year old, so it's all pretty subjective.

There was no swearing, nudity or sex in the film (that I remember) but it was very dark generally. There were some creative graphic makeup/cgi effects for Two-Face which might be unsettling. Moreover it's just got "adult themes" (hate that phrase but quite apt in this instance)... cold-blooded mindless sadistic murder, a vision of insanity which may not go down so well for the younger audience.

Does that help ?
Old Jul 20th 2008, 5:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

I would say that's borderline but then my kids are used to watching slightly older films, however we know families who wouldn't show Transformers to an 8 year old, so it's all pretty subjective.

There was no swearing, nudity or sex in the film (that I remember) but it was very dark generally. There were some creative graphic makeup/cgi effects for Two-Face which might be unsettling. Moreover it's just got "adult themes" (hate that phrase but quite apt in this instance)... cold-blooded mindless sadistic murder, a vision of insanity which may not go down so well for the younger audience.

Does that help ?
It does. Thanks.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 6:40 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: The Dark Knight

In my book Gary Oldman's finest role ever was as the drug crazed Lt Stansfield in Luc Besson's classic Léon, closely followed by his role as the hysterical Zorg in the other Besson great The Fifth Element.
/sign

The man is a genius.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 10:17 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

There was no swearing, nudity or sex in the film (that I remember) but it was very dark generally. There were some creative graphic makeup/cgi effects for Two-Face which might be unsettling. Moreover it's just got "adult themes" (hate that phrase but quite apt in this instance)... cold-blooded mindless sadistic murder, a vision of insanity which may not go down so well for the younger audience
Does that help ?
In the same light, the author and producers of the "Harry Potter" series, are still aiming towards the 8 to mid-teen market, even though the storyline gets darker and darker, with more terrifying content with every book/film.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 10:22 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. The Keaton/Burton partnership in the first two was vastly better than the 3rd and 4th installments, although the performances of Jim Carrey (Riddler) and Tommy Lee Jones (Harvey Dent/Two Face), of which I felt was excellent portrayal of insane criminals, was alot better than Val Kilmer's Batman. In addition, the storyline of the 4th was totally rediculous.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 10:50 pm
(^v^)

Originally Posted by The Bloke
I agree. The Keaton/Burton partnership in the first two was vastly better than the 3rd and 4th installments, although the performances of Jim Carrey (Riddler) and Tommy Lee Jones (Harvey Dent/Two Face), of which I felt was excellent portrayal of insane criminals, was alot better than Val Kilmer's Batman. In addition, the storyline of the 4th was totally rediculous.
yep, I love Tim Burton and you just dont see enough of Keaton dont know why?? Beeteljuice was brilliant and I thought he was fab in Pacific Heights though the film was stupid, I guess thats the answer you can have really good actors but they can only do so much with a crap story/script.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 10:54 pm
(^v^)

Yes, I am biased as I'm a huge fan of Luc Besson. For those that have not seen his latest work Taken, with Liam Neeson, I can highly recommend it. It will be out in September.

Al
ah Leon one of the best films ever yep genius

will look out for Taken.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 11:13 pm
No Clean Feed

In the same light, the author and producers of the "Harry Potter" series, are still aiming towards the 8 to mid-teen market, even though the storyline gets darker and darker, with more terrifying content with every book/film.
Agreed. JKR is trying hard to expose the younger readers to trauma and personal loss as the story progresses. To be honest I kind of glazed over at the previous book and haven't got around to reading the last but I assume Hairy Potter pops his cloggs to save his friends, etc. The ultimate sacrifice, etc.

Not "dark" in remotely same league as Heath Ledger's Joker IMHO though.

No, actually I thought a hulking neon clad almost effeminate Schwarzenegger just rocked Batman & Robyn, with such classics as "Ice to see you", etc

OK... I give up, it was shat

Al

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.