Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

In danger of flooding

In danger of flooding

Old Dec 28th 2007, 12:41 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy In danger of flooding

A few months ago they laid a slab on the plot next door which is about 4 feet higher than us.

Now the rains have started the slab is preventing drainage so all the water is running through the fence into my property.

It's washing the garden away and flooding the side of the house. Won't take much for it to get high enough to enter the back door of me garage.

Anyone know where I can find out who owns the plot and if they have to do anything to prevent it ?
Old Dec 28th 2007, 12:47 pm
Up Around the Bend

penky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In danger of flooding

Originally Posted by Bix
A few months ago they laid a slab on the plot next door which is about 4 feet higher than us.

Now the rains have started the slab is preventing drainage so all the water is running through the fence into my property.

It's washing the garden away and flooding the side of the house. Won't take much for it to get high enough to enter the back door of me garage.

Anyone know where I can find out who owns the plot and if they have to do anything to prevent it ?
Can't help you there, but I hope you find out soon so you don't get flooded out
Old Dec 28th 2007, 12:54 pm
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bix

Sorry to hear this Bix.

We had the same problem three years ago, and it's "buyer beware", I think. We were in danger of the whole of our house flooding because our house was lower lying than our neighbours. Apparently, it's not neighbour's problem if their run-off affects others.

We solved the problem by OH laying "french drains" along the flood plain in our backyard. We've had no problem since.

Sorry can't be of more help.

M

P.S. OH is now sorry that he didn't direct flood water to a tank for garden use etc., just plumbed it in to storm water drain. A job for the future methinks!

Last edited by Machiavelli; Dec 28th 2007 at 12:56 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 1:16 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Council, or conveyancer.. the deeds will have been lodged somewhere, and some prick will be contactable.

Albeit he probably lives in Sydney !
Old Dec 28th 2007, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Gawd, that's bad news Derek,

On a serious note, shall we bring a bucket with us?
Old Dec 28th 2007, 7:31 pm
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix

If you ring your local Council and ask to speak to the rates department they will tell you who owns the block next door. You should also check with the planning & development department and ask to speak to compliance (to make sure they have) some council's are closed until the new year though.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bix

Bix.
That is a bugger, especially withn the bitof rain we've had.

You need to contact Cairns City Council. Is there no builder's sign up? QBSA may be interested in that one.
I'm sure there is a requirement in the (old) QLD Building Act for surface water to be contained on a property.

You could always mention to council that the sediment control devices have failed...

Of course if the slab was laid a few months ago it could be an owner builder who has hit problems.

WW

Last edited by wanderingwombat; Dec 28th 2007 at 7:48 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 9:02 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix

I hear PaulnNic bought a tinny recently Seriously the local council will have an idea as to land ownership. Stay safe.

Ginny
Old Dec 28th 2007, 11:04 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks one and all.

The serious answers have given me good advice.

The humorous answers got me ROFLMAO
Old Dec 29th 2007, 1:05 am
Kingscliff NSW/QLD border

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all

Yes bix......we had the same problem,called the council ,they said because the next door neighbor had raised the original ground level by 1metre he had caused the problem , so he had to rectify it at his own cost.....extra land drainage.

all the best plumb....
Old Dec 29th 2007, 1:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Many thanks one and all.

The serious answers have given me good advice.

The humorous answers got me ROFLMAO
If Cairns council is anything like Redlands, they would have had to get planning permission from the council, who would take into account storm water flows etc. Our previous house was on a slope, and the hassle we had trying to get permission to build a granny flat, the council kept on saying it would divert the storm water flows to neighbouring properties.

I think the architect eventually submitted a plan where the granny flat was on stilts so it wouldn't effect the water flows.

And then we eventually gave up when (the) council rejected that plan as well.

So if you contact your council and ask for the planning permissions for that plot of land. It might even be possible to do it online. See if they really did get planning permission. I'd be surprised, we certainly couldn't have just laid a slab of concrete in our previous place.

If they didn't get permission, you could get them to dig it up again. You wouldn't be Mr Popular with the owners of course, but if they broke the planning codes and its threatening to flood your place....

JTL
Old Dec 29th 2007, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

I hope that you get it sorted soon Bix and don't get washed away.
Nicky
Old Dec 29th 2007, 3:12 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Never mind mate if the worst comes to the worst you could always do as the old Tight Fit bods suggest & [S]wimoweh

A wimoweh, a-wimoweh, a-wimoweh, a wimoweh
In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion sleeps tonight
In the jungle, the quiet jungle, the lion sleeps tonight
Old Dec 29th 2007, 4:39 am
In Cairns and loving it!!

The morris clan will become famous soon enough

Hi Bix

Hope you get it sorted soon.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 4:46 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Never mind mate if the worst comes to the worst you could always do as the old Tight Fit bods suggest & [S]wimoweh

In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion sleeps tonight
In the jungle, the quiet jungle, the lion sleeps tonight
FFS !!! you are warped !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.