Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Damp / mouldy house, landlords responsibility

Damp / mouldy house, landlords responsibility

Old Mar 5th 2011, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Damp / mouldy house, landlords responsibility

I had that problem in a rental, and it wrecked several items of furniture and lots of clothes and bags. The landlord did fix the roof, but the mould was endemic, as it was in the walls and cupboards. I was glad to move out, but the spores travelled in some of our belongings and for about a year kept popping up in our things until we threw them out or sealed them in with varnish and anti fungal stuff.

However, mould seems to be a perennial problem due to condensation/humidity, especially in the bathrooms, where walls, ceilings, floors, loos and windows all go mouldy at the drop of a hat. I have used so much Selleys that I'm probably single handedly keeping the company in profit!

You may never solve the problem, but be vigilant and keep on top of it- clean clean clean. My nose is now ultra sensitive to the musty mould smell, and I track it down pronto before it spreads.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 9:04 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Jazzy i think Pollys advice is a goodun,sorry i cant add any more other than to wish you luck with it mate,i think you have had enough on yer plate of late to not have the hassle of trouble over here.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys, i knew the right people would reply eventually.

Shame about the numb nuts tho
Old Mar 6th 2011, 12:55 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stitch
Can't solve the landlord thing but interm measure you may be able to do (after taking photos and documenting evidence to take to RTA)....can you clean up a bit for her. Bicard of soda dusted over area, spray vinegar over the affected area....With a pair of tights (just you're average ones) scrub the area. Then get some oil of clove and dilute a couple of drops in a spray bottle with water and spray the affected area and then leave overnight. The clove oil destroys the mould spores. Wipe the nxt day and should hopefully help. Got this from watching the Lush House program with Sharon Lush who writes the Spotless books.

Doesn't deal with the landlord but may help your daughter. But remember everything in writing and pics etc. The RTA here in qld will be able to help you.

Cheers

Ginny

Have you turned into kim and aggie
Old Mar 6th 2011, 12:58 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, jazzys, but I think you're going a bit OTT about the responses you didn't like.

I know it's a Dad's job to look out for his daughter - christ knows, my Dad has gone OTT over the years to protect me. I also know you've had some major shit going on.

However suggesting your daughter, as an adult, would be better placed to sort it out locally than you trying to do it from this distance seemed perfectly reasonable to me.

I also agree with Polly that a rent reduction is not the answer. If she can't live there until the LL fixes it up, she needs to move out. If it's an old property, looking for blocked-up air bricks would be my first job.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 1:04 am
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Can she get a medical opinion, maybe a letter from her GP to see that its affecting her health, might put some extra weight behind the request to deal with it fast?
A rent reduction would be handy, but doesn't solve the problem. I lived in a flat back home that was appalling damp, did untold damage to my health to the point of making me to sick for a while to even go about finding somewhere else to live. Make the priority either chasing them to get it fixed, or if its that bad and she can move to anywhere else, get her out.
Knowledge is power along with building the evidence.

You have to expect that landlords, and especially their agents, are scumbags and treat them accordingly. You need to contact any rental authority in her area and get as much advice from them as to what her rights are. It helps a great deal when someone comes across as not being so ignorant when talking to landlords and rental agencies. You can bet they know the rules and will exploit you if they know you don't. They really love apathy.

If the doctor can determine respiratory problems began after moving in then this will have a lot of weight especially if attached to a letter sent by a lawyer. Tribunals don't make agents and they're owners fearful all that much but the threat of a lawsuit makes them take a lot of notice - especially if there is weight to it.

You and your daughter will need patience or simply she needs to move out - it's her choice. How much of a hassle she can tolerate and energy she has will dictate whether she takes a stand or retreats. I tend to take a stand - pissed off a few owners and agents... Pushed one to quit her job (I'm quite proud of that! the ****in bitch)

Last edited by furbacchione; Mar 6th 2011 at 1:07 am.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 1:07 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mic n mat
Knowledge is power along with building the evidence.

You have to expect that landlords, and especially their agents, are scumbags and treat them accordingly. You need to contact any rental authority in her area and get as much advice from them as to what her rights are. It helps a great deal when someone comes across as not being so ignorant when talking to landlords and rental agencies. You can bet they know the rules and will exploit you if they know you don't. They really love apathy.

If the doctor can determine respiratory problems began after moving in then this will have a lot of weight especially if attached to a letter sent by a lawyer. Tribunals don't make agents and they're owners fearful all that much but the threat of a lawsuit makes them take a lot of notice - especially if there is weight to it.

You and your daughter will need patience or simply she needs to move out - it's her choice. How much of a hassle she can tolerate and energy she has will dictate whether she takes a stand or retreats. I tend to take a stand - pissed off a few owners and agents... Pushed one to quit her job (I'm quite proud of that! the ****in bitch)
At least with a rented place its a little easier to move and find somewhere else to live. The flat I had actually had to be sold, which meant fixing it up, and getting the damp problem under control before I could go anywhere else, which in my state of health was far from easy, and I made a huge loss on it, but for the sake of my well-being it had to be done.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Sorry, jazzys, but I think you're going a bit OTT about the responses you didn't like.
The fact is the responses didn't help, so why bother posting them.

Is it too hard for someone to realise i was asking for help in solving the matter with the landlord?

As stated earlier, my daughter was not well and could not speak due to chest and throat problems. Would you expect me to sit back and say nothing, or use my initiative and post on a forum such as this and seek answers?

Maybe its just me but i didn't see the point in posting unhelpful comments.

But thanks a lot to the guys that have
Old Mar 8th 2011, 8:38 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
Have you turned into kim and aggie
Of course Missus x x x