Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Damp / mouldy house, landlords responsibility

Wikiposts

Damp / mouldy house, landlords responsibility

Old Mar 3rd 2011, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Damp / mouldy house, landlords responsibility

Hi, my daughter rents a house and had complained numerous times about damp in one bedroom. The walls are actually mouldy and she is suffering from chest problems that are not, in her opinion, helped by the state of the room.

She has asked the landlord / agents to deal with it and they have had a guy out to give a quote which is now in the hands of the house owner.

How can i speed this up as nothing seems to be getting done and my daughter is struggling with her health living there.

Do i give them X amount of days to deal with it or seek a rent reduction for instance.

Thanks

PS the house is in the UK, i'm in Oz
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Damp / mouldy house, landlords responsibility

Well, not to be rude, but I assume your daughter is an adult if she is renting a place on her own in the UK while you are here...... in which case, let HER chase it up.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Well, not to be rude, but I assume your daughter is an adult if she is renting a place on her own in the UK while you are here...... in which case, let HER chase it up.
With all due respect, she can't speak this morning. So if you can't help why bother contributing?
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 10:45 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jazzys
With all due respect, she can't speak this morning. So if you can't help why bother contributing?
Can she get a medical opinion, maybe a letter from her GP to see that its affecting her health, might put some extra weight behind the request to deal with it fast?
A rent reduction would be handy, but doesn't solve the problem. I lived in a flat back home that was appalling damp, did untold damage to my health to the point of making me to sick for a while to even go about finding somewhere else to live. Make the priority either chasing them to get it fixed, or if its that bad and she can move to anywhere else, get her out.

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 3rd 2011 at 10:48 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 12:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, my daughter rents a house and had complained numerous times about damp in one bedroom. The walls are actually mouldy and she is suffering from chest problems that are not, in her opinion, helped by the state of the room.

She has asked the landlord / agents to deal with it and they have had a guy out to give a quote which is now in the hands of the house owner.

How can i speed this up as nothing seems to be getting done and my daughter is struggling with her health living there.

Do i give them X amount of days to deal with it or seek a rent reduction for instance.

Thanks

I rented out a flat in the UK that developed a mould problem in one room. I didn't reduce the rent (neither would I) but tackled the problem. I found out that the one of the tenants was in the house the whole day and had the heating on full blast (she was from Florida). The area in question was in an alcove and had no airflow (not helped by all the windows being tightly shut) I stripped the wall down, sealed it with a fungicide and repainted it. I put some air bricks in the walls to aid airflow. Problem went away.

Get your daughter to reduce the heating and open some windows. If the landlord is dealing with it then give him a chance as he sounds like he is being proactive.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 12:19 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

So if you can't help why bother contributing?
Why not? This is a forum, sometimes things are posted that we don't like, or that are not helpful. Shit happens.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Why not? This is a forum, sometimes things are posted that we don't like, or that are not helpful. Shit happens.
I'm just not sure why you'd bother typing that and giving me advice on parenting when i asked advice about a problem with a landlord.

I'm extremely capable of being a parent thank you, as my two children and anyone who knows me would testify.

My daughter is ill and can't actually speak very well at the moment due to chest and throat problems. Maybe you could give me some advice on how to deal with that.

Or maybe, just maybe you could give me the benefit of the doubt and believe that i asked the question on here for a reason other than just doing something my daughter in a healthier state would certainly have done for herself.

The landlord has had more than enough time to deal with the problem and has dragged his heels for far too long. Judging by your first post you appear to be slightly more pro-active. Congratulations!

But hey, in two posts you still didn't manage to answer the original question. Just ask yourself why you bothered.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 7:51 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

How does a rent reduction help your daughters health?

Tell her to put on a breathing mask, mix a dilute bleach solution and wash down the walls - this stops the immediate issue. She can then either ask the landlord to provide a dehumidifier whilst he sorts the source of the problem or she can look for somewhere else to live.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 9:00 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just not sure why you'd bother typing that and giving me advice on parenting when i asked advice about a problem with a landlord.

I'm extremely capable of being a parent thank you, as my two children and anyone who knows me would testify.

My daughter is ill and can't actually speak very well at the moment due to chest and throat problems. Maybe you could give me some advice on how to deal with that.

Or maybe, just maybe you could give me the benefit of the doubt and believe that i asked the question on here for a reason other than just doing something my daughter in a healthier state would certainly have done for herself.

The landlord has had more than enough time to deal with the problem and has dragged his heels for far too long. Judging by your first post you appear to be slightly more pro-active. Congratulations!

But hey, in two posts you still didn't manage to answer the original question. Just ask yourself why you bothered.
Can't solve the landlord thing but interm measure you may be able to do (after taking photos and documenting evidence to take to RTA)....can you clean up a bit for her. Bicard of soda dusted over area, spray vinegar over the affected area....With a pair of tights (just you're average ones) scrub the area. Then get some oil of clove and dilute a couple of drops in a spray bottle with water and spray the affected area and then leave overnight. The clove oil destroys the mould spores. Wipe the nxt day and should hopefully help. Got this from watching the Lush House program with Sharon Lush who writes the Spotless books.

Doesn't deal with the landlord but may help your daughter. But remember everything in writing and pics etc. The RTA here in qld will be able to help you.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Mar 4th 2011, 9:47 am
Just Joined

boggey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there our landlord is a t-t get her to ring her local councils envriomental health department ,we are still waiting for a visit from our department ,then go to see local mp in one of his drop in meetings ,hope this helps
Old Mar 4th 2011, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

My god-daughter, fiance and new born baby were renting a place which started to grow mould around winter time. They contacted the agent who did arrange to fix it but they actually got re-housed and ended up with a better flat. Maybe having a new born helped but if the condidtion is making your daughters health bad then get the doc onto it and the council if the agent/landlord isn't fixing it.

Mould is a serious issue for health and she needs to get it sorted pronto.

There is some stuff you can paint on the walls to fix the damp. The house I grew up in was old had some damp issues and I remember my Mum painting the walls to keep it at bay. If she can't move out then this might be a short term fix but she or you needs to badger the agent to badger the landlord. Start talking solicitors..usually gets the job done!

Hope she gets it fixed soon.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 1:22 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

A very good anti fungal is white vingegar. Dilute and spray on the mould and then wipe away. Far better than bleach and seems to keep it away. Otherwise good ventilation is a must, especially bathrooms.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow did not know there was a speak button please show me. I have some advise do not rise to the bait.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

paulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nice

Whoever she rented the house from agency/landlord ask them for a timescale for the repairs. If you don't get any joy ask your local council's enviromental health to inspect the property, they may then force the repairs if they consider it to be bad enough. If she is a student get her to ask the union for advise.

Good luck, you'll need it. Landlords are nearly always slow to sort this out in my experience.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 8:33 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

I had the same problem with a house I once rented in Queensland. There was mould growing up the walls and ceiling with condensation literally dripping down the walls. It wrecked a nice chest of drawers and a painting and I was told it was toxic to me and mine. Attempts were made to rectify but none worked. I had it cleaned with a chlorine mix but it still came back. In the end I wrote a letter to the agent suggesting I would seek compensation unless immediately released from the lease. It worked and I moved asap. It was the easiest, hassle free solution. Good luck with it all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.