Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Daft Flight Question

Wikiposts

Daft Flight Question

Old Jun 4th 2007, 3:12 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daft Flight Question

I found the journey went in phases. For the first 4 hours (as that is what you have mostly be used to) you lap up how much better it is than a package holiday flight. The next 2 or 3 hours are the worst. You get restless, you have watched the best film and the others are only so-so, eyes itch etc. You can't get the thought out of your mind that you are still only half way. You watch an average film but don't get into it.

Then you doze for an hour (not proper sleep but it helps). You now realise you are over half way; an important psychological barrier. Things are looking up. You watch another film, a bit of tv and play games and before you know it you are only a 4 hour flight away and you have done that many times before. The last 4 you are edgy - so near, so far but at least you are nearly there. Can I squeeze in another film or will it be turned off with 5 minutes to go?

Then there is the annoying half hour while they taxi, bring up the skybridge and you queue to get off.

Now some of you will have decided to break the journey to get over jet lag, take a break from the flying and effectively have a short break without having to pay for flights.

Others either wanted to save money, "just get there" or whatever. For them there is about an hour to stretch your legs before you have to face a slightly shorter version all over it again.

No wonder I don't want to go back to the UK!
Old Jun 4th 2007, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
I found the journey went in phases. For the first 4 hours (as that is what you have mostly be used to) you lap up how much better it is than a package holiday flight. The next 2 or 3 hours are the worst. You get restless, you have watched the best film and the others are only so-so, eyes itch etc. You can't get the thought out of your mind that you are still only half way. You watch an average film but don't get into it.

Then you doze for an hour (not proper sleep but it helps). You now realise you are over half way; an important psychological barrier. Things are looking up. You watch another film, a bit of tv and play games and before you know it you are only a 4 hour flight away and you have done that many times before. The last 4 you are edgy - so near, so far but at least you are nearly there. Can I squeeze in another film or will it be turned off with 5 minutes to go?

Then there is the annoying half hour while they taxi, bring up the skybridge and you queue to get off.

Now some of you will have decided to break the journey to get over jet lag, take a break from the flying and effectively have a short break without having to pay for flights.

Others either wanted to save money, "just get there" or whatever. For them there is about an hour to stretch your legs before you have to face a slightly shorter version all over it again.

No wonder I don't want to go back to the UK!
You're quite right - the halfway mark is a psychological barrier except I find that only the first couple of hours are fine. It's a novelty, get drinks, get fed, check out the entertainment etc. It's about two hours in, when the meal trays are collected that you realise you've had enough, and you still have 11 HOURS TO GO - and even then you're only halfway there.

I usually spend my time watching the little aeroplane inch its way so S-L-O-W-L-Y across the map on the screen. Why does it take twice as long to fly over India as anywhere else? Long haul flights are total bloody purgatory and I loathe them. It's a bit like giving birth - you conveniently forget the pain until it's too late and you've dobbed yourself in to do it again.

Last edited by NickyC; Jun 4th 2007 at 4:55 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 5:01 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Before the days of DVT I found that a sleeping pill and a few glasses of wine made the trip easy

I find if you watch the little map that makes the flight really drag on.
It's helpfull if you get your long flight (13 hours) at night, if it takes off about 11pm then after you have finished the food you are tired and can get a good sleep.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 8:18 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

This site...

http://www.airlinequality.com/

gives great real life reviews of flights and airports. Also describes the best seats to get on which planes and which airlines give the best legroom.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 8:32 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by herrchook
This site...

http://www.airlinequality.com/

gives great real life reviews of flights and airports. Also describes the best seats to get on which planes and which airlines give the best legroom.
Thats a great site - another good one is
http://www.airlinemeals.net/
Old Jun 4th 2007, 9:01 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

The worst bit for me was watching the little plane reach Australia and then what seems hours and hours later, realising we were still nowhere near the East Coast. Jeez this country is HUGE

Walk about as much as you can. You end up striking up conversations with all sorts doing the same thing.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 9:47 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
Long haul flights - drink plenty of water, take moisturiser, possible a facial spray of some kind (even just a squirter with water in) because it will get DRY. Also make a point of moving around when you can, even if you just stand up to stretch. Go to the bathroom and wash your face a few times (then moisturise!) and take a toothbrush & toothpaste so you can freshen up a bit in between flights. Wear loose clothing. Pack a change of top/pants so you don't feel like a tramp when you get off at the end.
Activities for kids.

(If you're business/first class then they will give you all that stuff anyway so don't bother packing it!)
Careful!

Half a bottle of mineral water will class you as a terrorist, capable of blowing up half the planet. You'll probably be shot.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Gotcha - but you can fill up a bottle once through security, or buy one in the departure shops, or ask for water on the flight.

To be honest, I know some flights are a nightmare, but it is possible for them not to be a nightmare too! Personally I look forward to flights because I like traveling, it is always an adventure, and especially after the stress of leaving the UK to emigrate it was SOOOOO nice to just have to sit there and not be able to do anything! If you spend the month before you fly solidly dreading the whole experience then of course you will hate it. Why not consider the possibility that it will be enjoyable and a chance to just tune out and relax?
Old Jun 5th 2007, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

scotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to all
Thumbs up Re: Daft Flight Question

Ah - am halfway between everyone I think - looking forward to the adventure, but also feel slightly claustrophobic already. Am terrifically excited about free drinks etc. Although I was impressed that I could pay for some cheese and biscuits on an easyjet flight, so poss quite easily impressed

Think a late flight is a great idea - some grub, and then a good snooze for most the flight (I can sleep anywhere).

Great replies guys.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

RachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really nice

Originally Posted by scotlandtooz
Ah - am halfway between everyone I think - looking forward to the adventure, but also feel slightly claustrophobic already. Am terrifically excited about free drinks etc. Although I was impressed that I could pay for some cheese and biscuits on an easyjet flight, so poss quite easily impressed

Think a late flight is a great idea - some grub, and then a good snooze for most the flight (I can sleep anywhere).

Great replies guys.
Hey - you will love it.........seriously if you get a good hostie they will just keep on bringing the drinks and if you have kids and ask them for something like a banana or something for the kids they will help out. I had a great flight wth Emirates when my twins were 5 months old and the girl just kept bringing me bottles of white wine (small ones mind!) and chatting about her life in Dubai (she was an Aussie) and we had a great time.

Mind you my favourite flight memory is landing at Brisbane for my sister in laws wedding in 1999 ( pre kids) and OH being so drunk that he tripped over the trolley in the car park, the suitcases went flying everywhere and he was prostrate (or is it prostate?) on the ground with his arms and legs everywhere.........it was 6am local time.

Note how all my stories are booze based.........think I will fit in in Aus....?
Old Jun 5th 2007, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

scotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by RachelH
Hey - you will love it.........seriously if you get a good hostie they will just keep on bringing the drinks and if you have kids and ask them for something like a banana or something for the kids they will help out. I had a great flight wth Emirates when my twins were 5 months old and the girl just kept bringing me bottles of white wine (small ones mind!) and chatting about her life in Dubai (she was an Aussie) and we had a great time.

Mind you my favourite flight memory is landing at Brisbane for my sister in laws wedding in 1999 ( pre kids) and OH being so drunk that he tripped over the trolley in the car park, the suitcases went flying everywhere and he was prostrate (or is it prostate?) on the ground with his arms and legs everywhere.........it was 6am local time.

Note how all my stories are booze based.........think I will fit in in Aus....?

Sounds strangely familiar....