Wikiposts

DAB radios

Old Sep 15th 2009, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

Helen Randle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DAB radios

Has anyone got a DAB radio and can listen to UK radio stations?
Am trying to decide on a decent purchase that I can also dock my ipod into. Variety is a lot smaller in Australia than UK so thinking of ordering online.
Otherwise would i be better with an internet radio? I use it on my computer but need a new alarm clock as I can't stand the crackle!!
All info gratefully received!
Helen
Old Sep 15th 2009, 10:55 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DAB radios

Originally Posted by Helen Randle
Am trying to decide on a decent purchase that I can also dock my ipod into. Variety is a lot smaller in Australia than UK so thinking of ordering online.
Otherwise would i be better with an internet radio? I use it on my computer but need a new alarm clock as I can't stand the crackle!!
Helen
Have a look on Whirlpool....http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...m/1031313.html

or http://www.gadgetguy.com.au/floorcar...dio--1104.html

From the lead into the gadgetguy site I saw that Australia uses DAB+, while the UK broadcasts in standard DAB. Don't really know about reception, as I don't own one (too expensive at the moment).
Old Sep 15th 2009, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Have a look on Whirlpool....http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...m/1031313.html

or http://www.gadgetguy.com.au/floorcar...dio--1104.html

From the lead into the gadgetguy site I saw that Australia uses DAB+, while the UK broadcasts in standard DAB. Don't really know about reception, as I don't own one (too expensive at the moment).
Thanks for that, I've had a good look and have seen wht's available, just really wanted info on any experiences or knowledge in the 2 types of radio....
Old Sep 15th 2009, 11:33 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, I've had a good look and have seen wht's available, just really wanted info on any experiences or knowledge in the 2 types of radio....
Digital radio has only been transmitted fully here for a few weeks, so it is a fairly new concept. Yes, I'm aware that Australia is years behind everyone else.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:28 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

No - you can't. Radio is still radio despite the fact is digital. And the UK is still a mighty long way away....
Old Sep 16th 2009, 9:26 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Centurion
No - you can't. Radio is still radio despite the fact is digital. And the UK is still a mighty long way away....
I was just thinking that? I thought perhaps it had some sort of internet connection melarky perhaps!?

Em x
Old Sep 16th 2009, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Helen
Basically, a DAB radio just allows digital broadcasts and not analogue. The only way you will be able to listen to UK radio stations is via the internet, and the arrival of DAB+ in Aus will not change that at all, I'm afraid...
Old Sep 16th 2009, 11:59 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking of getting one of these:
http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/kogan-w...cking-station/

DAB radio
Internet radio
FM radio
MP3
etc
Old Sep 16th 2009, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I'm thinking of getting one of these:
http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/kogan-w...cking-station/

DAB radio
Internet radio
FM radio
MP3
etc
Looks OK but given the price I suspect the sound quality will be pretty poor as it's trying to do a lot for a small amount and something has to give...

I'm a massive fan of Pure products and this is a similar thing that has the ability to do everything you need and will no doubt sound excellent. Has also won lots of awards...

http://www.pure.com/au/products/prod...oduct=VL-60896
Old Sep 16th 2009, 1:14 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slipshot
Looks OK but given the price I suspect the sound quality will be pretty poor as it's trying to do a lot for a small amount and something has to give...

I'm a massive fan of Pure products and this is a similar thing that has the ability to do everything you need and will no doubt sound excellent. Has also won lots of awards...

Yes, and if you order the UK version from Nevada Radio, it's only 124 Quid plus postage. Pure Flow @ Nevada Radio

Vastly different to the $600 odd that the local retailers here want for it...

And now couldn't be better time to order, with the exchange rate making £124 about $235...

S

Last edited by Swerv-o; Sep 16th 2009 at 2:10 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Yes, and if you order the UK version from Nevada Radio, it's only 124 Quid plus postage. Pure Flow @ Nevada Radio

Vastly different to the $600 odd that the local retailers here want for it...

And now couldn't be better time to order, with the exchange rate making £124 about $235...

S
Now that is sweet - and DAB+ ready too. Nice find fella..
Old Sep 16th 2009, 2:32 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Now that is sweet - and DAB+ ready too. Nice find fella..

Yes, when you first connect it to the net, it updates its firmware to DAB+

S
Old Sep 16th 2009, 2:40 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

The Evoke looks okay but The Avanti is the way to go IMO. It would be better if these devices had an Ethernet port as wireless is always going to be subject to signal drop-out.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Centurion
My friend in the UK can listen to any digital station across the world on hers, apparently it's the digital signal it picks up so distance shouldn't be a factor....

Thanks for the links to buying them!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

NigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond repute

Some media writers seem to think that Australia will have a much better range in about six months. I did read that one with a colour LCD panel could be useful but only mono ones seem to be available in Australia. I'm tempted to get a cheap and nasty now and a real good one in a couple of years when I've figured them out.

Incidentally I download lots of Podcasts from the BBC, heaps of stuff available for free and you don't get the Internet crackle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.