British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Cyclone Yasi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/cyclone-yasi-703065/)

Turban Explorer Jan 31st 2011 6:27 am

Cyclone Yasi

The daddy of tropical cyclones is heading to Northern Queensland and I'm getting ready to evacuate up river in our yacht into the mangroves tomorrow morning. Looking forward with glee to the idea of climbing around the crocodiles with warp lines and anchors to sit out the might of this beast! Hopefully I will be back in a few days suffering nothing more than a bad hair day. If not, we will always have 'word association' ....

DeadVim Jan 31st 2011 6:32 am

Re: Cyclone Yasi

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer (Post 9140912)
The daddy of tropical cyclones is heading to Northern Queensland and I'm getting ready to evacuate up river in our yacht into the mangroves tomorrow morning. Looking forward with glee to the idea of climbing around the crocodiles with warp lines and anchors to sit out the might of this beast! Hopefully I will be back in a few days suffering nothing more than a bad hair day. If not, we will always have 'word association' ....

Stay safe :)

steve`o Jan 31st 2011 6:55 am

in thought the worst place to be in a storm would be mangrove swamps
if your grounded it`ll be a bitch getting you back in the wet stuff?

Turban Explorer Jan 31st 2011 7:13 am

Originally Posted by steve`o (Post 9140943)
in thought the worst place to be in a storm would be mangrove swamps
if your grounded it`ll be a bitch getting you back in the wet stuff?

The evacuation plan in Cairns is to place all the boats up the Trinity Inlet as the marina doesn't have enough protection. Grounding is pretty unlikely given an inevitable high tide from the storm surge..

HelenTD Jan 31st 2011 7:20 am

I have visions of a turban-clad Mongoose Grylls clambering through the mangrove roots:p. Take care - I'd rather shelter anywhere else other than mangroves (too creepy):fingerscrossed:.

The Bloke Jan 31st 2011 9:16 am

If you have Facebook go to the Qld Police page - very good updates. Let your friends know as well.:)

http://www.facebook.com/QueenslandPolice

Alfresco Jan 31st 2011 9:46 am

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=702907

carolinephillips Jan 31st 2011 7:53 pm

Batten down the hatches and stay safe.:fingerscrossed:

asprilla Jan 31st 2011 10:50 pm

I'm not sure that staying in your yacht and "sitting it out" is the best approach here? :confused:

Bix Feb 1st 2011 1:43 am

Originally Posted by asprilla (Post 9142518)
I'm not sure that staying in your yacht and "sitting it out" is the best approach here? :confused:

I agree.

Should be getting out into open sea and catching the breeze in his sails. :D

Amazulu Feb 1st 2011 2:04 am

Originally Posted by Bix (Post 9142817)
I agree.

Should be getting out into open sea and catching the breeze in his sails. :D

Just checked the policy - my house in Trinity Beach is covered!

SillyOldBag Feb 1st 2011 4:55 am

I'm not sure our house will be safe - do you think I should try camping at the beach?

SillyOldBag Feb 1st 2011 4:56 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 9142849)
Just checked the policy - my house in Trinity Beach is covered!

Glad to hear it - and fingers crossed you won't need your policy! :fingerscrossed:

Amazulu Feb 1st 2011 6:38 am

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag (Post 9143071)
Glad to hear it - and fingers crossed you won't need your policy! :fingerscrossed:

The latest update shows Yasi tracking just North of Cairns - almost directly over Trinty beach!

Bernieboy Feb 1st 2011 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 9143269)
The latest update shows Yasi tracking just North of Cairns - almost directly over Trinty beach!

I hope you emptied the beer fridge:blink: