Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Cyclone Season......Queensland - TC Ului

Cyclone Season......Queensland - TC Ului

Old Mar 17th 2010, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

rocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cyclone Season......Queensland - TC Ului

Townsville is now looking like a good bet for landfall atm, but like any cyclone this can vary loads. One thing for sure its going to make landfall around this area maybe even more north, this time tom we should have a better idea where its going to land, but looking at this forecast even Cooktown might even be a go for it.

http://www.4tfingers.biz/tides/tc_plot.php

please everyone in these area and even south of Townsville be prepared as we know the news is telling everyone it has decreased to force 3, but they are expecting it to increase to a very distructive force 4.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

rocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to behold

This is a great site for everyone to get to know more about cyclones and whats happening with Ului

http://forum.weatherzone.com.au/ubbt...44201&page=175

Polly any more thoughts?

Maybe open a new topic tom with cyclone preparation as this thing could be big.

Last edited by rocket01; Mar 17th 2010 at 11:55 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

All this info has probably been posted before by Polly

But here is another good site showing you the cyclone in movement and the sheer size of it.

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/sohemi/sohe...s/shirgms.html
Old Mar 18th 2010, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ65002.shtml

Warning/watch being issued for coastal communities now

Severe Tropical Cyclone Ului is expected to begin moving in a southwesterly direction tonight towards the Queensland coast.

On current predictions the most likely scenario is for the cyclone to cross the coast Sunday morning between Cardwell and Mackay. However, it is important to understand that some uncertainty remains in this outlook period.

DAMAGING winds should develop between Cardwell and Yeppoon during Saturday as the cyclone approaches the coast.

The windy conditions over much of the Queensland east coastal waters will continue due to the tight pressure gradient generated by a combination of a high pressure system situated in the Tasman Sea and Severe Tropical Cyclone Ului. Seas and swell are expected to increase along much of the Queensland east coast and produce dangerous surf conditions on the exposed coasts.

People between Cardwell and Yeppoon should consider what action they will need to take if the cyclone threat increases. If you are unsure about the actions to be taken, information is available from your local government or local State Emergency Service.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 1:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rocket01
This is a great site for everyone to get to know more about cyclones and whats happening with Ului

Polly any more thoughts?

Why a new thread? It's all here, including the weatherzone link
Old Mar 18th 2010, 1:20 am
BE Enthusiast

BigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Safin
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ65002.shtml

Warning/watch being issued for coastal communities now
Bugger....I better be off to the shops and stock up, and clean the yard up and tie everything down
Old Mar 18th 2010, 1:26 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rocket01

Polly any more thoughts?

I agree with Pen, I don't see the need for a new thread on here. There are several links in this one to useful sites, both for tracking and for info, and as this one is getting bumped constantly at present I'm inclined to think one is enough - much as I love my job I don't want it taking over the forum!

For cyclone preparation stuff - many links through google, but also have a look at these -
www.emergency.qld.gov.au/emq/css/beprepared.asp

www.disaster.qld.gov.au/

Anyone new to Qld who has not heard the Standard Emergency Warning Signal before, you might want to click on the link on this page -
http://www.disaster.qld.gov.au/disasters/warning.asp
If an impact is imminent - cyclone, tsunami, or similar, then the SEWS signal may be used on TV, radio etc in the local area.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 1:26 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigH68
Bugger....I better be off to the shops and stock up, and clean the yard up and tie everything down
Yep, sorry, think its heading your way.......
Old Mar 18th 2010, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

BigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Ive moved most of my patio stuff indoors already lol cant get movin, very windy here already today. Need to do a run to the tip...these warnings are great for making you clean up ur yard

Good idea to have a link for people to hear the Standard Emergency Warning Signal scared the shit out of me the first time I heard it.

Best to be prepared, I will keep people posted on anything happening in the Yeppoon area. Stay safe everybody.

Any idea if it will intensify before coming ashore
Old Mar 18th 2010, 1:44 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

seems more like coming towards Townsville from the last threat map we've brought in all the patio furniture and pot plants, stocked up the cyclone kit...I think we're prepared as we can be
Old Mar 18th 2010, 1:46 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by BigH68
Ive moved most of my patio stuff indoors already lol cant get movin, very windy here already today. Need to do a run to the tip...these warnings are great for making you clean up ur yard

Good idea to have a link for people to hear the Standard Emergency Warning Signal scared the shit out of me the first time I heard it.

Best to be prepared, I will keep people posted on anything happening in the Yeppoon area. Stay safe everybody.

Any idea if it will intensify before coming ashore
Well the latest track map (see below) from 11am has it staying as a Cat 3, and the TC Advice is the same at present. I haven't heard anything to the contrary ....... if I do I'll post it on here. I'm on nights throughout the whole weekend so I'll get any updates as fast as the BoM issue them.
The SEWS is freaky if you don't know what it is, isn't it. There was talk of using it during the tsunami alerta fw weeks back - that would have scared a lot of people cos down here its almost unheard of.

Stay safe....updates if/when I get them
Attached Thumbnails Cyclone Season......Queensland - TC Ului-10-56-18.03.10.gif  

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 18th 2010 at 1:53 am.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Well the latest track map (see below) from 11am has it staying as a Cat 3, and the TC Advice is the same at present. I haven't heard anything to the contrary ....... if I do I'll post it on here. I'm on nights throughout the whole weekend so I'll get any updates as fast as the BoM issue them.
The SEWS is freaky if you don't know what it is, isn't it. There was talk of using it during the tsunami alerta fw weeks back - that would have scared a lot of people cos down here its almost unheard of.

Stay safe....updates if/when I get them
thanks mate
Old Mar 18th 2010, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Least this cyclone should see my home food delievery service for woolworths, get really busy the next few days
Old Mar 18th 2010, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

I agree with Pen, I don't see the need for a new thread on here. There are several links in this one to useful sites, both for tracking and for info, and as this one is getting bumped constantly at present I'm inclined to think one is enough - much as I love my job I don't want it taking over the forum!

For cyclone preparation stuff - many links through google, but also have a look at these -
www.emergency.qld.gov.au/emq/css/beprepared.asp

www.disaster.qld.gov.au/

Anyone new to Qld who has not heard the Standard Emergency Warning Signal before, you might want to click on the link on this page -
http://www.disaster.qld.gov.au/disasters/warning.asp
If an impact is imminent - cyclone, tsunami, or similar, then the SEWS signal may be used on TV, radio etc in the local area.
Maybe just open a temporary locked page with this info in it, alot easier then scrolling through loads of info to find it.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 10:40 am
Home and Happy

TROPICAL CYCLONE ADVICE NUMBER 2;
5:04pm EST on Thursday the 18th of March 2010

A Cyclone WATCH has been declared for coastal areas from Cardwell to Yeppoon.

At 4:00 pm EST Severe Tropical Cyclone Ului, Category 3 was estimated to be
1100 kilometres northeast of Mackay and 1220 kilometres east northeast of Townsville and moving south southwest at 7 kilometres per hour. The cyclone is expected to remain about the same strength.
Severe Tropical Cyclone Ului is expected to begin moving in a southwesterly direction tonight towards the Queensland coast. On current predictions the most likely scenario is for the cyclone to cross the coast Sunday morning between Cardwell and Mackay. However, it is important to understand that some uncertainty remains in this outlook period.

DAMAGING winds should develop between Cardwell and Yeppoon during Saturday, and increasing further on Saturday night as the cyclone approaches the coast.

People between Cardwell and Yeppoon should consider what action they will need to take if the cyclone threat increases.
- Information is available from your local government
- For cyclone preparedness and safety advice, visit the Queensland's Disaster Management Services
website [www.disaster.qld.gov.au].
- For emergency assistance call the Queensland State Emergency Service [SES] on 132 500 [for assistance with storm damage, rising flood water, fallen trees on buildings or roof damage]

Please ensure that neighbours have heard and understood this message, particularly new arrivals or those who may not fully understand English.

This warning is also available through TV and Radio Broadcasts; the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 212.

http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDQP0005.txt

==================================================

If the cyclone does impact your area, and you call the SES (132500), please remember that they will be dealing with an awful lot of calls so you please need to be patient if you can't get through. Once the cyclone has passed there will be SES volunteers, and other members of the emergency services, working in the field as soon as it is safe to do so, and you may be able to contact them in person. Volunteers are on standby to be deployed from other regions so there will be plenty of help around
If the situation is life threatening then please call 000, not the SES.
Attached Thumbnails Cyclone Season......Queensland - TC Ului-1704-18.03.10.gif  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.