Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Cyclone Season......Queensland - TC Ului

Cyclone Season......Queensland - TC Ului

Old Mar 17th 2010, 5:04 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cyclone Season......Queensland - TC Ului

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Slightly too committed for me I think, I'm more of a fair weather fan (!).

I was keen on a girl in the Met Office, I met her in Iceland. I was swiftly exposed to her cold front though.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 6:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Slightly too committed for me I think, I'm more of a fair weather fan (!).

I was keen on a girl in the Met Office, I met her in Iceland. I was swiftly exposed to her cold front though.
Did you have an argument over the last packet of 'Aunt Bessie's Yorkshire Puddings'?
Old Mar 17th 2010, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

ireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud of

Well I am due to fly from Townsville to Brisbane then onto UK on Wed 24th so hopefully Ului will have been and gone
Old Mar 17th 2010, 7:17 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Did you have an argument over the last packet of 'Aunt Bessie's Yorkshire Puddings'?
We didn't even get the arguing stage
Old Mar 17th 2010, 7:19 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland
Well I am due to fly from Townsville to Brisbane then onto UK on Wed 24th so hopefully Ului will have been and gone
As I'm due to leave from Brisbane on the 26th there is some serious magic being cast in that direction at present. TC Hamish nearly stopped me getting back in to Aus last year, thats wasn't a problem, quite happy to get stuck in the UK. Not quite so keen to get stuck here unable to leave though!
Old Mar 17th 2010, 7:23 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

...odds firming on Mackay.

Old Mar 17th 2010, 7:33 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by bcworld
Poor Framac.......
Old Mar 17th 2010, 7:35 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I read that a prominent BOM Bloke said a couple of days ago that nobody had to worry and it would blow itself out without reaching land.

I await their predictions on tomorrow's 3:30 at Eagle Farm with money firmly in my pocket.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 7:40 am
Mostly Harmless

Yesterday was so long ago ... http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...15/2846490.htm
Old Mar 17th 2010, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Welll........totally personal view here, yes he does have a touch of Michael Fish about him.
He is right in that we don't have any cyclone watches or warnings current, but bearing in mind the fact that it has been such a quiet season for cyclones in Qld a lot of people aren't prepared at all, even in cyclone-prone areas - no batteries for radios, no tarps, no ropes etc. I will admit to not having seen much media coverage over the last few days - off work so no TV -but a bit of advice to be prepared can't go wrong.

Be interesting to see if Mr Weatherman has to eat his words.......
I have listened to Peter Byrne's rant about the overly alarmist language being used by the media last weekend. At this stage the cyclone was well east of BOM's reporting area. The alarmist "super cyclone" that "will hit the coast by Wednesday (today)" was extremely optomistic given the cyclone was 1500km away and travelling at 10-15kph. The maths didnt hold up. He didnt do a Fish but said "There are no current cyclones warnings and it was well off the coast away from QLD" .

I'm not sure what words he has to eat. What he said was true at the time. He never said it was not going to hit Qld.

WW
Old Mar 17th 2010, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

BigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud of

o bugger we need to tie everything down again....what a pain i the ass
Old Mar 17th 2010, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland

Hey mate

Have a great time..you will love going back to visit. ..are you going to pop into your old work?? will be good to compare.
Take care and if you see any jammie dodgers... you know Jim is partial to them! haha safe journey to you all

Trish xx
Old Mar 17th 2010, 3:10 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by BigH68
o bugger we need to tie everything down again....what a pain i the ass
I am hoping it won't hit your bit of the coast (or any other come to that) but being realistic I am anticipating it coming onshore....
Old Mar 17th 2010, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I am hoping it won't hit your bit of the coast (or any other come to that) but being realistic I am anticipating it coming onshore....
What sort of weather can we expect on the sunny coast Polly? Plenty of rain and high winds I suspect. No chance of it making it this far south unless there is a HUGE change overnight.

Paddy
Old Mar 17th 2010, 3:15 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
I have listened to Peter Byrne's rant about the overly alarmist language being used by the media last weekend. At this stage the cyclone was well east of BOM's reporting area. The alarmist "super cyclone" that "will hit the coast by Wednesday (today)" was extremely optomistic given the cyclone was 1500km away and travelling at 10-15kph. The maths didnt hold up. He didnt do a Fish but said "There are no current cyclones warnings and it was well off the coast away from QLD" .

I'm not sure what words he has to eat. What he said was true at the time. He never said it was not going to hit Qld.

WW
As I said, I haven't seen any live TV coverage. If the media were saying it would hit last weekend, then thats very alarmist, and definitely out of order. My last shift was Sunday night, and it crossed into Qld's area of responsibility during my shift - appro 4.30 Moinday morning. The cyclone has since slowed and changed course. I agree with the rest of the report in that clip, that people should be prepared etc, but as I've already said there's a big difference between preparedness and panic.

(personal views, not those of my employer!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.