Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Cyclone Season......Queensland - TC Ului

Cyclone Season......Queensland - TC Ului

Old Mar 14th 2010, 9:41 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cyclone Season......Queensland - TC Ului

Originally Posted by Seasider
Thanks for the updates, Pol. We have offices in the Pacific Islands so I keep an eye on things; the Islanders are already suffering http://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=142263
Thats terrible. The islands get hit so hard because they are so low and the winds just sweep over them. Very sobering watching satellite maps changing overnight and knowing there are little communities underneath the cloud mass.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

rocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to behold

Still heading in a W N/W direction but is expected to head W S/W in the next day or two, but who knows.
Making preperations to move out it continues to keep this track. Better get contents insurance today

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/sohemi/sohe...s/shirgms.html
Old Mar 15th 2010, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

Steve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to all

Looks like GFS are prediciting a direct hit for Mackay!
Old Mar 15th 2010, 3:11 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thats terrible. The islands get hit so hard because they are so low and the winds just sweep over them. Very sobering watching satellite maps changing overnight and knowing there are little communities underneath the cloud mass.
Yeah, it's easy to forget about them but I know a lot of people have no links there so it's understandable. The sad thing is that these island nations are ill-equipped to cope and are already suffering from extreme climates and rising tides.

Our offices in Fiji and the Solomons are closed and there are curfews in place.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

rocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to behold

bom has it in the next 12 to 24hrs turning in a southerly direction, so fingers crossed it will track down the coast and not make landfall, but still to early to say.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 4:42 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rocket01
bom has it in the next 12 to 24hrs turning in a southerly direction, so fingers crossed it will track down the coast and not make landfall, but still to early to say.
The BOM were completely wrong with almost every prediction they made about Stiff Breeze Olga, so I wouldn't bank on them being right about this. Still, I'd be quite happy to see it stay at sea, we're opening with Habeas Corpus on Friday night, and the last thing we need is a cat 5 Cyclone in the ear.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Ignorant Q perhaps, but how far inland do these things generally go?

I understand that they form over warm water but disipate over land. Just wondering how far inland to have plan B should it head our way?

And yes I know there are lots of variables concerning if and when and direction etc just wondering...... I am due to fly Sun night and Mon am and am leaving OH & kids & visiting inlaws here so bit worried on more than one front.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Possibly worth keeping a good eye on this one in the next few days, as each forecast map is different, this on has it crossing close to cairns

http://www.4tfingers.biz/tides/tc_plot.php

Current forecast landfall location:

GFS – Shoalwater Bay
ECMWF – Koumala
NOGAPS – Mackay
JTWC – Clairview
CMC – Approaching the Whitsundays

Last edited by rocket01; Mar 16th 2010 at 10:33 am.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rocket01
Possibly worth keeping a good eye on this one in the next few days, as each forecast map is different, this on has it crossing close to cairns

http://www.4tfingers.biz/tides/tc_plot.php

Current forecast landfall location:

GFS – Shoalwater Bay
ECMWF – Koumala
NOGAPS – Mackay
JTWC – Clairview
CMC – Approaching the Whitsundays
Yep, looks like QLD then....
Old Mar 16th 2010, 11:42 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Safin

I understand that they form over warm water but disipate over land. Just wondering how far inland to have plan B should it head our way?

And yes I know there are lots of variables concerning if and when and direction etc just wondering...... I am due to fly Sun night and Mon am and am leaving OH & kids & visiting inlaws here so bit worried on more than one front.
They can basically go all the way into the centre of Australia...just depends on the weather. Take a look at the track map for the 1956 cyclone.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/c20thc/cyclone.shtml
Old Mar 16th 2010, 3:17 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Safin

Originally Posted by asprilla
They can basically go all the way into the centre of Australia...just depends on the weather. Take a look at the track map for the 1956 cyclone.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/c20thc/cyclone.shtml
The start of the recent floods through western Qld came as a result of TC Olga, followed by a tropical low coming down from Darwin across the interior. Also last years floods, which lasted for several months, were fueled by TC Charlotte and Ellie.

As for Ului, I wouldn't like to take a punt at the moment on where it will end up - still too many other factors involved, and all the models have different ideas still........
Old Mar 16th 2010, 3:23 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Burbage
The BOM were completely wrong with almost every prediction they made about Stiff Breeze Olga, so I wouldn't bank on them being right about this. Still, I'd be quite happy to see it stay at sea, we're opening with Habeas Corpus on Friday night, and the last thing we need is a cat 5 Cyclone in the ear.
I'm going to stick my neck out with a purely personal forecast just based on gut instinct and spooky memories (and definitely not official at all!) - I reckon we are looking at a coastal crossing in Mackay, 7.30am March 20th.

(that should ensure the safety of Mackay anyhow!)
Old Mar 16th 2010, 3:27 pm
Home and Happy

TROPICAL CYCLONE INFORMATION BULLETIN
Issued at 10:53pm EST on Tuesday the 16th of March 2010

At 10 pm EST Tuesday, Severe Tropical Cyclone Ului [Category 4] with central
pressure 938 hPa was located over the north-east Coral Sea near latitude 13.5 south longitude 157.8 east, which is about 1250 km northeast of Mackay and 1370 km east of Cooktown.

The cyclone is near stationary.

Severe Tropical Cyclone Ului poses no direct threat to the Queensland coast and is expected to remain well offshore over the eastern Coral Sea for at least the next few days.

It is expected to adopt a more south to southeasterly track during the next 24 hours, which it should maintain until later in the week. The most likely scenario then is for Severe Tropical Cyclone Ului to turn onto a more west to southwesterly track and move closer to the Queensland coast during Friday and Saturday.
Attached Thumbnails Cyclone Season......Queensland - TC Ului-2313-est-160310.gif   Cyclone Season......Queensland - TC Ului-jtwc10.gif   Cyclone Season......Queensland - TC Ului-cycloneuluiandtomas.gif  
Old Mar 16th 2010, 10:09 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

The guy leading the trip First Born is due to go on has decided to postpone the trip. He's done the trip for the last 4 years, one of which was post cyclone and just doesn't think it's worth going. Week two of Term two now so fingers crossed it's all good then.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 12:14 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'm going to stick my neck out with a purely personal forecast just based on gut instinct and spooky memories (and definitely not official at all!) - I reckon we are looking at a coastal crossing in Mackay, 7.30am March 20th.

(that should ensure the safety of Mackay anyhow!)
Dammit, predict a crossing at Gordonvale. I need this one to miss us!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.