Wikiposts

The curry report

Old May 30th 2011, 11:29 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The curry report

Originally Posted by rajj
Not too far from mentone then...I'll try it out this weekend then.
Say NO to Curry!

you KNOW it makes sense.
Old May 31st 2011, 1:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unfair dinkum
What is it about curry houses in aus? Why does it seem like the chefs couldn't be arsed to learn how to cook, but have no issues charging through the roof? The other day me and the wife had a home delivery curry, from what is regarded as geelong's best curry house. In short, it was rank: absolutely dripping with fat, just loads of chilli with no subtlety, the worst pilau rice I'd ever tasted, no free popadoms. $42 for two. Outrageous.
Lets hear your curry stories, good and bad.....

Fancy leaving Northcote and expecting food be up to standard elsewhere in Aus

Food and all its diversities is definitely the main thing this area has going for it.
Old May 31st 2011, 1:30 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

I guess the caveat should be that my curry taste comes from Britain. However the restaurant is run by Sri Lankans (I think) so some of the dishes seem to be southern Indian in origin.

I guess it's worth having a chat with them as they seem happy to do stuff that is not on their menu.
Old May 31st 2011, 10:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Where closest to the Holmesdale are you comparing these Currys to Rajj.... Good work BTW Which was your favourite around there.

Get together for the Celtic Game.... Scottish Margaret could be coming... and my mini crew

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 31st 2011 at 10:56 am.
Old May 31st 2011, 12:07 pm
your fair weather friend!

unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Fancy leaving Northcote and expecting food be up to standard elsewhere in Aus

Food and all its diversities is definitely the main thing this area has going for it.
yeah it's a toughy I know.
We lived in England for 7 years between Northcote and Geelong.
Went to Geelong, cos the wife is from there, and I had a job sorted etc, PLUS IMHO there are too many wankers in Melbourne
There are many arguments for and against Geelong vs Melbourne..........
Old May 31st 2011, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

What is it about curry houses in aus? Why does it seem like the chefs couldn't be arsed to learn how to cook, but have no issues charging through the roof? The other day me and the wife had a home delivery curry, from what is regarded as geelong's best curry house. In short, it was rank: absolutely dripping with fat, just loads of chilli with no subtlety, the worst pilau rice I'd ever tasted, no free popadoms. $42 for two. Outrageous.
Lets hear your curry stories, good and bad.....
I think you may be referring to the curry house that we use in Geelong. And they also do the mild, medium or hot thing too. All the sauces seem similar. Since when did tarka dall have kidney beans in it?!!!!

It is bearable when desperate but a bloody rip off! All the others are rank....

Was back in the UK for a couple of weeks recently and had 2 while there - OMG it was bliss!!
Old May 31st 2011, 4:34 pm

unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by itigo
I think you may be referring to the curry house that we use in Geelong. And they also do the mild, medium or hot thing too. All the sauces seem similar. Since when did tarka dall have kidney beans in it?!!!!

It is bearable when desperate but a bloody rip off! All the others are rank....

Was back in the UK for a couple of weeks recently and had 2 while there - OMG it was bliss!!
where are you in Geelong itigo?
Old May 31st 2011, 4:50 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

We used to visit the Indian Restaurants in Rusholme years ago, and have never found an Indian Restauarnt in Australia as good as most of the ones we visited down there. We always look out for Indian restaurants when visiting on our travels and try out as many as we can. In our local area there are a lot of Indian's but most are average at best.

However a few weeks ago we came accross an Indian called 'The Copper Pot" in Umina ( near Woy Woy ) and the food there was very good. They have the usual curry menu with Chef Specials like Balti and Karahi but every curry they sell can be ordered mild, medium, hot or very hot. So, yes you can have a bum-burning Butter Chicken if you like ! The naan breads are fresh, hot and yummy, the service is good, the owner is a friendly Indian bloke and it's BYO. ( Little Creatures Pale Ale is great with a good curry ! )

I'm told the same bloke has just opened an indian in Terrigal, so we will be heading that way next week.
Old May 31st 2011, 4:57 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

The best Indian restaurant I have ever been to is on Langkawi Island, Malaysia
The best Indian restaurant I have been to in Australia is 2 Fat Indians in Mt Lawley, Perth
The best Indian restaurant I went to in the UK is in Bradford, Yorkshire
Old May 31st 2011, 5:01 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon the curries were better in Birmingham than they were in Bradford.

Maybe I prefer balti.
Old May 31st 2011, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The best Indian restaurant I have ever been to is on Langkawi Island, Malaysia
The best Indian restaurant I have been to in Australia is 2 Fat Indians in Mt Lawley, Perth
The best Indian restaurant I went to in the UK is in Bradford, Yorkshire
the best curries I've had were in the Cameron Highlands, Malaysia and in Singapore
Old May 31st 2011, 5:06 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

the best curries I've had were in the Cameron Highlands, Malaysia and in Singapore
So the Malay peninsula and Islands are the places to get great curry
Old May 31st 2011, 5:06 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Rambi
I reckon the curries were better in Birmingham than they were in Bradford.

Maybe I prefer balti.
Never been to Birmingham
Old May 31st 2011, 5:09 pm

So the Malay peninsula and Islands are the places to get great curry
I've never been to India, but the thing about Malaysia and Singapore is the huge Tamil population. Couple that with a bit of extra western influence (aka food hygiene standards) and voila, fantastic authentic cuzza
Old May 31st 2011, 5:35 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Never been to Birmingham
Yer not missing much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.