Wikiposts

The curry report

Old May 29th 2011, 5:29 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The curry report

I've given up with buying curry here and just make my own. Get The Curry Secret by Kris Dhillon - definitely worth the effort.
Old May 29th 2011, 5:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
I've given up with buying curry here and just make my own. Get The Curry Secret by Kris Dhillon - definitely worth the effort.
Can't you just tell us what it is? . . . saves us having to get it.
Old May 29th 2011, 5:32 pm
your fair weather friend!

unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold

thanks GG
Old May 29th 2011, 5:35 pm

unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold

actually, thinking about it further, I can't be arsed with all those cardamom seeds and stuff. Can you make it for me?
Old May 29th 2011, 5:35 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

And there are some great Asian stores here to buy all the ingredients
Old May 29th 2011, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu
And there are some great Asian stores here to buy all the ingredients
I didn't know Angus and Robertson was Asian
Old May 29th 2011, 6:01 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to buy that. There is also her latest - The New Curry Secret.

Cheers
Old May 29th 2011, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
I'm going to buy that. There is also her latest - The New Curry Secret.

Cheers
what was wrong with the old curry secret?
Old May 29th 2011, 6:06 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unfair dinkum
Dunno really.
Old May 29th 2011, 6:57 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Some twat wrote a book so it wasn't a secret anymore
Old May 29th 2011, 7:26 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
In fairness that's how it should be done everywhere. The names are not an indication of heat, they are a style of dish. You can have a Jalfrezi hot or mild but as long as the dish is fried and the sauce is quite dry it's still a Jalfrezi. Presumably the Indians/Bangladeshi people in the UK used the names to denote heat because they thought the British too dumb to understand otherwise.
I disagree though only on the basis that a British Style curry/balti house would have a standard sort of menu with the name of each dish being indicative of how hot it was i.e:

Korma - mild, yellow in colour, with almond and coconut powder.

Dopiaza - medium curry, the word means "double onion" referring to the boiled and fried onions used as its primary ingredient.

Pasanda - a mild curry sauce made with cream, coconut milk, and almonds or cashews.

Roghan josh - medium, with tomatoes and paprika.

Bhuna - medium, thick sauce, some vegetables.

Dhansak - medium/hot, sweet and sour sauce with lentils. This dish often also contains pineapple.

Madras - fairly hot curry, red in colour and with heavy use of chili powder.

Pathia - hot, generally similar to a madras with lemon juice and tomato purée.

Jalfrezi - hot, onion, green chili and a thick sauce.

Sambar - medium heat, sour curry made with lentils and lemons.

Vindaloo - this is generally regarded as the classic "hot" restaurant curry.

Phaal - extremely hot dish using ground chilies, ginger and fennel.

Of course here in Australia, as I said earlier, things are done differently with customers able to order a mild Phaal or an extra hot Korma. It's not wrong, just different to how I'd normally order a curry. I do on occasion order a Jalfrezi "with an extra chilli"
Old May 29th 2011, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Can't
Originally Posted by cresta57
I disagree though only on the basis that a British Style curry/balti house would have a standard sort of menu with the name of each dish being indicative of how hot it was i.e:

Of course here in Australia, as I said earlier, things are done differently with customers able to order a mild Phaal or an extra hot Korma. It's not wrong, just different to how I'd normally order a curry. I do on occasion order a Jalfrezi "with an extra chilli"
That was educational - I've not been sure of what was in each dish..not sure whether what is on a UK menu is indicative of the type of dish and whether the heat rating has become de facto....MP might be right yet so I will keep an open mind.

I'm also nostalgic for the old style curry house with the velvety wall paper, the sitar background music, the low lighting, the fishtank, the groups of pissed up blokes and pissed up girls. ah, the days....
I think some Australian curry houses need the lights turned down and a few candles lit, really for max effect. I have had no disaster with local curries - they're not the muck I've heard about and always tasty and hot if you ask. I asked for a hot one once 10/10 and had the chef come out to congratulate me...

2 places served up good fare for me:

One of them is in Huntingdale north of the station, south of a Saab mechanic, more of a cafe than a restaurant - the other is in Hughesdale just shy and to the south of the level crossing..

The former served up a piping hot curry with naan - delicious it was too.

I get the impression that the places in multi-cultural suburbs are better than places out in new suburbia where they can take advantage of a captive audience.

Have to admit, Thai edges out Indian for me.
Old May 30th 2011, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

tiks10 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just arrived in Brisbane and realised that there is a gap in the market for a traditional British style curry house and good beer and the plan is to open one up in the near future as in honesty the curries should taste much better here as the ingredients are much fresher and tastier.

Watch this space and might test start in a market. Any recommendations for a good market stall/area?

Last edited by tiks10; May 30th 2011 at 4:04 pm.
Old May 30th 2011, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Delhi O Delhi in Newtown, and Flavour Of India in Edgecliffe are both excellent for curries
Old May 30th 2011, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

rajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi
You chose the wrong side of the bay. Frankston has quite a few good curry houses. I can highly recommend Kasturi on Beach St.
Not too far from mentone then...I'll try it out this weekend then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.