Wikiposts

The curry report

Old May 29th 2011, 10:05 am
your fair weather friend!

unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold
Default The curry report

What is it about curry houses in aus? Why does it seem like the chefs couldn't be arsed to learn how to cook, but have no issues charging through the roof? The other day me and the wife had a home delivery curry, from what is regarded as geelong's best curry house. In short, it was rank: absolutely dripping with fat, just loads of chilli with no subtlety, the worst pilau rice I'd ever tasted, no free popadoms. $42 for two. Outrageous.
Lets hear your curry stories, good and bad.....
Old May 29th 2011, 10:43 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The curry report

Last week in East Dulwich we had four bottles (big) of kingfisher, 4 poppadums with all 4 traditional dips and raita, a prawn madras, vegetable thaali, sag paneer , pilau rice and 2 garlic naans for 40 quid. Even got a bowl of hoover bag contents whilst we waited. It was delicious and is still on the hips.

May be the pull of the Antartic means curry can't be made here? The worst one I've had was a crab dish of some description - the exact same, chilli but nowt else sauce as him indoors had in his prawn bhuna, but with an unshelled half crab thrown in. The only way to eat it was to scoop it out and splatter it over the walls and other diners. So I did.
Old May 29th 2011, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

For Friday lunch, I go to a place in Wynnum, Miss Punjab'. Lunch time special dine-in platter, one meat and two veg curries with pilau rice and a veg samosa $10.90 . . . beautiful.

The Indus in Chapel Hill is very good. Cheap Tuesday, buy one get one free.

Last edited by spartacus; May 29th 2011 at 11:08 am.
Old May 29th 2011, 11:01 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unfair dinkum
What is it about curry houses in aus? Why does it seem like the chefs couldn't be arsed to learn how to cook, but have no issues charging through the roof? The other day me and the wife had a home delivery curry, from what is regarded as geelong's best curry house. In short, it was rank: absolutely dripping with fat, just loads of chilli with no subtlety, the worst pilau rice I'd ever tasted, no free popadoms. $42 for two. Outrageous.
Lets hear your curry stories, good and bad.....
You chose the wrong side of the bay. Frankston has quite a few good curry houses. I can highly recommend Kasturi on Beach St.
Old May 29th 2011, 11:08 am

unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rambi
You chose the wrong side of the bay. Frankston has quite a few good curry houses. I can highly recommend Kasturi on Beach St.
to be fair, when we lived in Northcote (10 years ago mind) the Curry Cafe on the high street (not sure if it still exists) was great. Sure it was different from a UK style curry house curry (ie no Kingfisher-BYO, no popadoms unless you beg etc), if anything it was better, as the tastes were so fresh and complex. None of this "nah, fu@k all that herby shit, just bung in the whole packet of chilli powder" nonsense which I've encountered elsewhere in Aus, and not just in Geelong either. Brisbane and Cairns too
Old May 29th 2011, 11:23 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unfair dinkum
to be fair, when we lived in Northcote (10 years ago mind) the Curry Cafe on the high street (not sure if it still exists) was great. Sure it was different from a UK style curry house curry (ie no Kingfisher-BYO, no popadoms unless you beg etc), if anything it was better, as the tastes were so fresh and complex. None of this "nah, fu@k all that herby shit, just bung in the whole packet of chilli powder" nonsense which I've encountered elsewhere in Aus, and not just in Geelong either. Brisbane and Cairns too
I've been to the Curry Cafe once and it was very good.

It's worth a trip to the Holi festival in Sandown as well (usually sometime around March). Lots of good curry stalls there as well as dancing and paint throwing.
Old May 29th 2011, 11:25 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

I find chinese food to be worse, and usually consists of plain old gravy bases with veggies & no spice wotsoeva.

Only good Indian I've had so far is at Spice Ave in Birkdale.
Old May 29th 2011, 11:27 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
I find chinese food to be worse, and usually consists of plain old gravy bases with veggies no spice wotsoeva.

We don't have good Chinese around us. Thai seems to be more popular.
Old May 29th 2011, 11:31 am

I find chinese food to be worse, and usually consists of plain old gravy bases with veggies & no spice wotsoeva.

what? in the Club House?
Old May 29th 2011, 11:32 am

yeah, and they don't do chips
Old May 29th 2011, 11:36 am

I noticed in my latter years of living in Hertfordshire that ye olde Curry House as we know it was being rather arsed about with, with new fangled (stupid) names like 'Spice fusion' and 'chili raj'. WTF was wrong with 'a passage to India'? Yeah I know all the staff are Bangladeshi, but still..
Old May 29th 2011, 11:54 am
Rhino with a big horn!

The was a place in Bright (Vic) on Ireland St. I think it was called Get Spiced. They did Indian and Asian food but don't hold that against them. They did one of the best Jalfrezies I've had. Tasted very fresh.
Old May 29th 2011, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Rambi
The was a place in Bright (Vic) on Ireland St. I think it was called Get Spiced. They did Indian and Asian food but don't hold that against them. They did one of the best Jalfrezies I've had. Tasted very fresh.
no probs with it if the food tastes good, TBH. What I do have issues with is rebadging a curry house with a new wanky name for it only to churn awful bland food. there's one such in Geelong-poncy name-which the local rags keep banging on about as if it's something special (the owner must have shares in whatever media outlet it is) and the food is truly woeful
Old May 29th 2011, 12:30 pm

I'm also nostalgic for the old style curry house with the velvety wall paper, the sitar background music, the low lighting, the fishtank, the groups of pissed up blokes and pissed up girls. ah, the days....
Old May 29th 2011, 1:11 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

The Curry Cafe
73 High Street
Northcote VIC 3070
(03) 9489 9066

Still there according to google

I love a good curry, since the wife got pregnant she has gone right off them.

Its a disaster....

If she was still keen on them, tonight tea would be well sorted. Due to the above suggestion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.