Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Curry craving inspires 14,000km takeaway order

Curry craving inspires 14,000km takeaway order

Old Dec 9th 2006, 6:47 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Curry craving inspires 14,000km takeaway order

A group of English cricket fans watching their team play in Australia were so desperate for a curry from their favourite chef that they ordered one from Britain, and the restaurant's managers promised to deliver.

[...]

Mr Abdul and his business partner hope to fly to Perth on Monday (local time) to deliver the order of lamb tikka masala, lamb dansak, mushroom pilau, tarka dhal, sag aloo and pratha bread at a cost of 1,500 pounds ($A2,942) for food that would normally cost about 140 pounds ($A349).

[...]

"They said there aren't that many Indian restaurants there," Mr Abdul said.

The food will be chilled and put in cooler boxes inside their suitcases for the 14,480 kilometre journey.

He hopes Australian customs will not confiscate the food.
ABC.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 6:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Curry craving inspires 14,000km takeaway order

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

A group of English cricket fans watching their team play in Australia were so desperate for a curry from their favourite chef that they ordered one from Britain, and the restaurant's managers promised to deliver.

[...]

Mr Abdul and his business partner hope to fly to Perth on Monday (local time) to deliver the order of lamb tikka masala, lamb dansak, mushroom pilau, tarka dhal, sag aloo and pratha bread at a cost of 1,500 pounds ($A2,942) for food that would normally cost about 140 pounds ($A349).

[...]

"They said there aren't that many Indian restaurants there," Mr Abdul said.

The food will be chilled and put in cooler boxes inside their suitcases for the 14,480 kilometre journey.

He hopes Australian customs will not confiscate the food.
ABC.

More money than sense springs to mind
Old Dec 9th 2006, 6:57 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Curry craving inspires 14,000km takeaway order

Originally Posted by Wendy
More money than sense springs to mind
Exactly what I said to my wife.

I'm amazed they didn't ask for few jars of Hellmann's and a box of Bisto to go with it.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly what I said to my wife.

I'm amazed they didn't ask for few jars of Hellmann's and a box of Bisto to go with it.

Wonder if customs will let it in?, be quite funny if they confiscated it

These people should learn to cook
Old Dec 9th 2006, 7:11 am
Fighting my corner

Thumbs up Re: Curry craving inspires 14,000km takeaway order

Wonder if customs will let it in?, be quite funny if they confiscated it
That would make my day.

These people should learn to cook
Alternatively, they could learn to appreciate the Indian restaurants in Perth!
Old Dec 9th 2006, 7:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That would make my day.

Alternatively, they could learn to appreciate the Indian restaurants in Perth!

You're kidding. I thought there wasn't any
Old Dec 9th 2006, 7:27 am
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I was sure they were saying on the radio this morning that customs were NOT going to let it in?
Old Dec 9th 2006, 7:29 am
Fighting my corner

Cool Re: Curry craving inspires 14,000km takeaway order

Originally Posted by ElshaUK
I was sure they were saying on the radio this morning that customs were NOT going to let it in?
Were they?

Please keep us up to date!
Old Dec 9th 2006, 7:43 am
Trainee Domestic Goddess

baglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond repute

Were they?

Please keep us up to date!
Or could it be more beer than sense? Ridiculous isn't it? Though sadly, not surprising, typical bl**dy brits!

I'd be really surprised if they let the food through customs! What a shame eh...
Old Dec 9th 2006, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

I know exactly how they feel ! could kill for a decent curry I'm not a bad cook & have made some pretty good ones since Ive been here, but they just dont come close to the Fleet tandoori ! Think if i won the lotto tonight would have one flown in for Sunday dinner !
Think they must be a secret ingredient that make people crave them, besides alcohol that is

Nicky
Old Dec 9th 2006, 11:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
I know exactly how they feel ! could kill for a decent curry I'm not a bad cook & have made some pretty good ones since Ive been here, but they just dont come close to the Fleet tandoori ! Think if i won the lotto tonight would have one flown in for Sunday dinner !
Think they must be a secret ingredient that make people crave them, besides alcohol that is

Nicky

Well I could tell you about some of the "special" ingredients that went into some of the curries in Bradford, but you really don't want to know :scared:
Old Dec 9th 2006, 12:03 pm

Hels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond repute

Well I could tell you about some of the "special" ingredients that went into some of the curries in Bradford, but you really don't want to know :scared:

No longer a big ferral cat problem in Bradford these days then??
Old Dec 9th 2006, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

LOL! had some "secret" herbs a couple of times but just makes me crave chocolate !!!

Nicky
Old Dec 10th 2006, 5:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hels Bells
No longer a big ferral cat problem in Bradford these days then??

Or dogs

It's not them that I meant though, I'm thinking things that are more organic than that
Old Dec 10th 2006, 8:39 am
Chelmsford>Leeds>NSW!

lel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nice

I lived in Bradford for 4 years, ate plenty of curries and am still alive to tell the tale!

I've not had a curry anywhere near as nice as the curries i had back in the UK. My main gripe here is no spice, all gravy. (and it's not like I go for really spicy curries either...)
Still, i'd not consider trying to get a curry shipped over... crazies!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.