Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

Old Dec 29th 2013, 8:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
you're simply wrong, one IS the home of cricket, one is not.
Any chance of highlighting in another colour? The light green blends in with the white background.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 8:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beoz
Any chance of highlighting in another colour? The light green blends in with the white background.
i was gonna do red, but didn't want to sound too angry, orange ok?
Old Dec 29th 2013, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

i was gonna do red, but didn't want to sound too angry, orange ok?
Don't know. Yet to see it. Very neutral through. Red might be more suited to your teams colors.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 8:17 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis

The penny might drop one day that most Aussies go to watch the sport
No....They only go to watch their team WIN at sport.

If the sport itself was important why did so few bother to turn up to watch the final day of the Brisbane test on the last tour when they would have seen a fine English sporting performance?

The stadium was virtually empty apart from the English supporters.

They turn up when they are winning.....it is hardly even mentioned on the news when they are not.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 8:35 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

....and retractable stadium roofs are not an Australian 'innovation'....they were in use in America many years before.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 9:57 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

I'm going to put on my 'blind optimism' hat:

1 test to go - and if England can pull themselves together (ok - its a rather big if!) - they can salvage a moral win!

- If *this* series goes 4-1 then the 12 month aggregate score will be 4-4... Using the age-old formula of 'away wins count for more' - that could be interpreted as a narrow England victory over the 12 month mega-series! lol

Old Dec 29th 2013, 11:22 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

Dobell says Flower has to go:

It is a simply a question of 'when' not 'if' now. England's defeat in Melbourne - and the manner of it - has rendered Andy Flower's position as coach all-but untenable.

...As his senior spinner wilted and his wicketkeeper flapped like a drowning seal, Cook looked a broken man on the fourth day.

...To have picked a side with an inadequate reserve wicketkeeper, a lack of reserve opening batsmen, three tall drinks waiters and a reserve spinner who came into the tour with serious doubts over his readiness to return to this level, has been proven to be folly.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 4:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DadAgain
I'm going to put on my 'blind optimism' hat:

1 test to go - and if England can pull themselves together (ok - its a rather big if!) - they can salvage a moral win!

- If *this* series goes 4-1 then the 12 month aggregate score will be 4-4... Using the age-old formula of 'away wins count for more' - that could be interpreted as a narrow England victory over the 12 month mega-series! lol

Away draws?
Old Dec 30th 2013, 7:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
....and retractable stadium roofs are not an Australian 'innovation'....they were in use in America many years before.
Retractable stadia at Grand Slam tennis events I said; Flushing Meadows roofless.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

No....They only go to watch their team WIN at sport.

If the sport itself was important why did so few bother to turn up to watch the final day of the Brisbane test on the last tour when they would have seen a fine English sporting performance?

The stadium was virtually empty apart from the English supporters.

They turn up when they are winning.....it is hardly even mentioned on the news when they are not.
Well over 35,000 on a day when half a day's play was in prospect, a Sunday with lots of other things to do and the series dead ain't bad. I don't see many watching the SA #1 ranked team currently. It's absolutely empty day 5 for sure.

Last edited by OzTennis; Dec 30th 2013 at 8:07 am.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 7:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

now you've posted some utter bollocks on here but this takes the biscuit.

this is the reason that Australian sport is only popular with Australians, it's not enough to beat a team, you have to thrash them, then start digging at their culture, their fans and prove yourself as bad winners as well as losers. What we've got is a group of fans that people want to be part of, and football culture or not, they don't cause trouble and you hate it, because it doesn't fit your view of a lagered up Englishman. The fact of the matter is that they're here til the end, and you mob can't even muster a decent attendance on the day that you go 3-0 up and win back the ashes.

We know how the stats line up, but if Cooky's 8000 is irrelevant then anymore than we won, you lost is irrelevant also.

I do hope your new found (or should I say resurrected) arrogance doesn't come back and bite you in the arse next year
Kettle, pot and black? Trash culture? You are the master of it with your convict etc jibes - read back. You just call it banter as though it excuses it.

I personally think it is irrelevant how many BA turn up and how witty they are and how well they can handle their drink and whatever, end of story.

When Australia have some success and turn around things all we get is how much England gave it away, how badly we handle success, how badly we'll do when we play a decent team, how boganish the crowd and captain and coach are, how lacking in atmosphere the grounds are, how much the grounds cost the taxpayer etc, etc.

I'm now going to think over that pearler 'Australian sport is only popular with Australians'.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by papilon
I guess irony is lost on you.

Please attend a test at the MCG you will be very impressed by how classy and well behaved your fellow australians are.

Banter.

On the 2nd day sat in the front row by fine leg.

Harris comes down after dropping a catch.
Shouts of butterfingers etc etc best sledge was probably " you wouldn't have dropped it if it was a pie"
England go Into bat and Pietersen comes down and recieves a constant barrage of abuse lots of F!@# and C!@# and that boorish moronic banter lasted all day. Ruined what was a decent days cricket. Please don't compare a football crowd wiyh a cricket crowd.
And embarrassment lost on the BA?

Was that an apology for the 'you don't live here anymore so what do you know' tone you adopted?

How witty that 'who ate all the pies' type jibe is and so superior to plain swearing.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 8:10 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Retractable stadia at Grand Slam tennis events I said; Flushing Meadows roofless.

Do they have them for tiddlywinks competitions?.......perhaps I could 'invent' that
Old Dec 30th 2013, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

you're simply wrong, one IS the home of cricket, one is not.
Test matches played 1st at one, home of cricket in each country, I'm happy with that, I didn't say the G was the home of cricket.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Do they have them for tiddlywinks competitions?.......perhaps I could invent that
Your point?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.