Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

Old Jul 29th 2013, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

Originally Posted by Beoz
Wales 6th. Serously?
People forget that when Wales met England in the 6N decider that they has lost one themselves.

If England had won that match perhaps this whole Welsh thing for the Lions might have been different. They did not win the Grand Slam, they won a Championship on points. If they had not even met England in the final match of the series it would have been more of an obvious points victory. I am reminded of the 1999 result when Scotland held the title after all the rounds...it probably did not propel them up the rankings ....Sport is a funny one.

I have Welsh and English ancestry.

Wales do not beat Australia often - is it twice in 10 (perhaps 20!) years - at home?

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
IRB rankings have always been a joke
hmmm...there is some mathematical basis for them. Australia and South Africa win enough internationals (Australia against Wales for example) to keep them in the Top 3 if not 4.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 10:18 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Is everyone ready for the inevitable Australian onslaught on thursday night?

http://samhopwood.blogspot.co.uk/201...slaughter.html
Old Jul 29th 2013, 10:50 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
hmmm...there is some mathematical basis for them. Australia and South Africa win enough internationals (Australia against Wales for example) to keep them in the Top 3 if not 4.
What I am saying Badge is that the IRB rankings have always seemed to bias the Southern Hemisphere nations. They have always been a bone of contention in Union circles. Just google "IRB rankings joke" and see how many results you get.

The fact Wales are sixth should be evidence enough of how ridiculous they are
Old Jul 30th 2013, 3:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Is everyone ready for the inevitable Australian onslaught on thursday night?

http://samhopwood.blogspot.co.uk/201...slaughter.html
desperate times / desperate measures and all that, hope young Joe gets a nice bit of revenge
Old Jul 30th 2013, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
What I am saying Badge is that the IRB rankings have always seemed to bias the Southern Hemisphere nations. They have always been a bone of contention in Union circles. Just google "IRB rankings joke" and see how many results you get.

The fact Wales are sixth should be evidence enough of how ridiculous they are
Fair dos, the biggest problem I had was NZ not touring the British Isles enough...

But arguably, and take away SH bias, should Wales be further up, if you take into account form.
The 6 nations is wider open than in the days of France and England dominating.

EDIT - I see that up until the 6N, Wales had something like 7 consecutive defeats...and like I said, they were no better than
England in their win/loss acc in the Championship - (indeed England had defeated NZ perhaps this SH bias was working towards England then)...that is why they are 6th place in the IRB rankings...Prob'ly.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jul 30th 2013 at 4:43 am.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

As much as I love living in Melbourne and I really do sometimes the local media and certain media types yes Eddie Maguire I mean you, do make me cringe with embarrassment. This morning vwhilst driving and listening to the news the reporter made the statement that Melbournes reputation as the sporting capital of the world had been further enhanced after Melbourne had been awarded the final of the 2015 world cup in cricket. And that the final had a projected audience of 1.3 billion yes he actually said 1.3 billion and that would be bigger than
the tv audience for the opening ceremony of the London Olympics.

Well I know cricket has had its problems with match fixing but it would seem like someone
Has guaranteed India will be in the final and that every single person in India will be watching.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 7:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by papilon
As much as I love living in Melbourne and I really do sometimes the local media and certain media types yes Eddie Maguire I mean you, do make me cringe with embarrassment. This morning vwhilst driving and listening to the news the reporter made the statement that Melbournes reputation as the sporting capital of the world had been further enhanced after Melbourne had been awarded the final of the 2015 world cup in cricket. And that the final had a projected audience of 1.3 billion yes he actually said 1.3 billion and that would be bigger than
the tv audience for the opening ceremony of the London Olympics.

Well I know cricket has had its problems with match fixing but it would seem like someone
Has guaranteed India will be in the final and that every single person in India will be watching.
Lol, but why embarassment, why not just shout at your radio?
what station was it?

The way it's going, India has more of a chance than Australia....
Old Jul 30th 2013, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Lol, but why embarassment, why not just shout at your radio?
what station was it?

The way it's going, India has more of a chance than Australia....
Just the blowing your own trumpet thing is not usually a nice trait. Not very British or traditionaly an Australian one. I do feel large parts of the Melbourne media love to big up Melbourne at any opportunity. Be it over Sydney or against the rest of the world. Its childish and shows in my opinion a certain insecurity. The Australians I call friends don't talk this way. There is a certain section of the population that lap it up and you do meet people who will make claims about Melbourne, obviously garnered through listening to the media and you know they have never been further than Bali. Eddie Maguire would be top of my list of people in Melbourne I would most like to punch in the face ;-)
Old Jul 30th 2013, 8:43 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Just the blowing your own trumpet thing is not usually a nice trait. Not very British or traditionaly an Australian one. I do feel large parts of the Melbourne media love to big up Melbourne at any opportunity. Be it over Sydney or against the rest of the world. Its childish and shows in my opinion a certain insecurity. The Australians I call friends don't talk this way. There is a certain section of the population that lap it up and you do meet people who will make claims about Melbourne, obviously garnered through listening to the media and you know they have never been further than Bali. Eddie Maguire would be top of my list of people in Melbourne I would most like to punch in the face ;-)
Actually blowing your own trumpet is very much a traditional Australian thing. My FIL mentioned it the first time he visited us way back in the 80's. He commented on how they were full of their own self importance and it is one of the things that always made me cringe. The thing about making silly comments about being the sporting capital of the world is you have to look at the demographic they are appealing to, they swallow it hook line and sinker.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I agree that there is probably a section of population who might lap it up but - to be perfectly honest, media-tabloid speak is media-tabloid speak - and most people I know won't have a bar of it - or even complain - they just avoid full-stop. Stupid people might - but then I don't come across them much. 'Melbourne' is slightly smug - but in a curious kind of way, I can sort of see why - it is a nice place to live. One of the Channels does a curious badly filmed and lit sequence around Melbourne - a sort of family segment - but I just remind myself I am on a tabloid station.

To be perfectly honest, the likes of Maguire does not even feature in my list of things to worry about least of all cringe (which is why I ask). He is just a bloke on the box getting paid to be a tabloid presenter. He might even be as clever as anyone who is done well in this field.

Originally Posted by chris955
Actually blowing your own trumpet is very much a traditional Australian thing. My FIL mentioned it the first time he visited us way back in the 80's. He commented on how they were full of their own self importance and it is one of the things that always made me cringe. The thing about making silly comments about being the sporting capital of the world is you have to look at the demographic they are appealing to, they swallow it hook line and sinker.
Blowing your trumpet is not Australian - after all there used to be 'Tall Poppy' syndrome! I find it interesting that people want to see this curtailed in the Australian when it has been happening in the UK for centuries. I can think of elite regiments (social and otherwise) in the British Army who love to blow their own trumpet and are universally hated (and admired) for it, and it's amusing to see it from the point of view of the elite regiment. In fact, there is a healthy time and place to revel in good things, in my opinion..let it not be said that enjoying life can't be good...!

As for why anyone would even listen to it - or even believe it: (Remember Chris - you listen to it - you are perhaps not so far from the demographic they are targetting...!)

I'm not so sure many do believe it..you have to remember that all tabloid presenters create a sort of pop culture around these things -where the fiction becomes a sort of reality - even in the UK you used to get Chris Evans creating a sort of 'excitement' around events and things - and there was a sort of fad where people lapped it up, sort of sycophantly. Remember those broadcasts of the "Big Breakfast"? This was the first I came into contact with that sort of thing, in the 90s. I did not care much for it then: I seem to avoid it all now.

I suspect this sort of thing developed around the time the distinct tabloid format developed...and became mainstream. In the 70s the tabloid media (in the UK at least) was still sort of ostrachised but since the 90s it's almost became normal.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 10:03 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I listen to it ? I must definitely do not listen to it. The demographic I assume would be the bogans that Maguire appeals to, I certainly do not listen to his crap. You make some odd assumptions.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I listen to it ? I must definitely do not listen to it. The demographic I assume would be the bogans that Maguire appeals to, I certainly do not listen to his crap. You make some odd assumptions.
You don't have to be a Bogan to listen to his shows, Chris. I only watch an hour or so of tabloid television a week - there are many people who are not bogans who watch a great more - by choice (and why not?).

The way you complain, and cringe, about Australia leads me to suspect you were exposed to much of it, perhaps growing up, that is all. I said - 'not so far' - most of the population perhaps.

(I don't cringe, I don't need to!)
Old Jul 30th 2013, 10:16 am
Banned

No you dont have to be a bogan but it helps.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 10:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No you dont have to be a bogan but it helps.
Actually being a real bogan, when you are a bogan, is probably quite cool.

It's the people who are more insecure who worry - who knows! You know, I think the tabloid media are a bunch of cunning stunts.
And they make me 'laugh'. Do I wish they would vanish - are we better off without them, yes.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 10:21 am
Banned

I have no doubt bogans think they are cool, its a weird world.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.