British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   The Cricket Thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/cricket-thread-848661/)

Beoz Dec 30th 2014 12:27 am

Re: The Cricket Thread

Shaun Marsh has done a Shane Warne.

scrubbedexpat098 Dec 30th 2014 12:34 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 11516054)
Shaun Marsh has done a Shane Warne.

Had a ludicrous amount of plastic surgery and shagged Liz Hurley??

scrubbedexpat098 Dec 30th 2014 1:28 am

not quite the start they needed

OzTennis Dec 30th 2014 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Grayling (Post 11515830)
Just shows how crazy it is to play Australian cricket in such big grounds....the Australian 'supporters' don't even bother to show up unless they they think they are going to win....the English grounds have more atmosphere because they are not simply full of fair weather supporters:lol:

The predictable came along. :rofl: Repeat, 70,000 there day 1 (5 day total in England usually). Been to the cricket, go to the A league, go to the beach, go to the sales, spend time with the family, spend time with friends, spend time in the garden ........... people have a much fuller life than supporting a losing cricket team. :rofl:

Grayling Dec 30th 2014 8:24 am

Originally Posted by OzTennis (Post 11516250)
........... people have a much fuller life than supporting a losing cricket team. :rofl:

So is that why they don't turn up unless they think they are going to win?

As I said....fair weather supporters:lol:

Beoz Dec 30th 2014 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Grayling (Post 11516282)

People only turn up in England because its on SkySports :)

Time to put the cricket on Foxtel ...........

Actually forget that suggestion :)

Gordon Barlow Dec 30th 2014 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 11515056)
England ..... but the passport says Great Britain :)

I've never seen a "Great Britain" passport, Oz. What does it actually say on the front?

OzTennis Dec 31st 2014 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 11517002)
I've never seen a "Great Britain" passport, Oz. What does it actually say on the front?

It says European Union at the top and below - United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. ;) Colloquially known as a British passport.

OzTennis Dec 31st 2014 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Grayling (Post 11516282)

As an aside; to me there's nothing sillier than a football crowd (team 3 nil down) singing 'we'll support you evermore, we'll support you evermore' ad infinitum. Sports psychologists would probably say the message to the team is that we'll accept any dross you serve up and still support you. The same mentality would be a supporters group singing the praises of the White Star Line as the Titanic goes down or the Barmy Army bragging about how much they sang as 5-0 was coming along in the last test.:rofl:

Grayling Dec 31st 2014 7:21 am

Originally Posted by OzTennis (Post 11517422)
As an aside; to me there's nothing sillier than a football crowd (team 3 nil down) singing 'we'll support you evermore, we'll support you evermore' ad infinitum. Sports psychologists would probably say the message to the team is that we'll accept any dross you serve up and still support you. The same mentality would be a supporters group singing the praises of the White Star Line as the Titanic goes down or the Barmy Army bragging about how much they sang as 5-0 was coming along in the last test.:rofl:

SO not turning up when their team is serving up dross is the Aussie way is it?

That's why the grounds have been so empty in the last few years.

Do the Socceroos get any supporters at all?:rofl:

Good job here are lots of East Europeans living in Australia or the tennis would have no support either:lol::rofl:

OzTennis Dec 31st 2014 12:37 pm

Graylings take bait; I don't. See you at the MCG in February - you will be supporting your team rain, hail or shine of course. :rofl:

Gordon Barlow Dec 31st 2014 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by OzTennis (Post 11517419)
It says European Union at the top and below - United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. ;) Colloquially known as a British passport.

Oh, OK. Here in the colonies it's usually called a UK passport, to distinguish it from "British Overseas Territories" (BOT) ones. I didn't know the UK one was ever called a Great Britain passport; that's why I asked.

OzTennis Dec 31st 2014 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 11517697)
Oh, OK. Here in the colonies it's usually called a UK passport, to distinguish it from "British Overseas Territories" (BOT) ones. I didn't know the UK one was ever called a Great Britain passport; that's why I asked.

You've learned something new mate. ;)

scrubbedexpat098 Jan 4th 2015 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by OzTennis (Post 11517422)

Forgive me for saying this, but the above shows more eloquently than I could ever put, what is wrong with Australian sporting culture. What you're saying is if you're not winning we'll stay away and you'll go broke..that's a very poor attitude indeed, and if that's what Beoz prefers to English sporting culture then he's welcome to it.

Beoz Jan 4th 2015 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 11521845)
Forgive me for saying this, but the above shows more eloquently than I could ever put, what is wrong with Australian sporting culture. What you're saying is if you're not winning we'll stay away and you'll go broke..that's a very poor attitude indeed, and if that's what Beoz prefers to English sporting culture then he's welcome to it.

Are you sure English supporters turn up to everything in mass numbers despite how their team is doing or who they are playing?

Granted the Barmy Army does but its more of a holiday and a p*** up than anything else. I've sat in the Barmy Army and there is little cricket watched, especially after lunch when the mid strength starts kicking in. Great fun through.

Its far easier to get a ticket for Samoa v England at Twickers than it is for AB's v England. Where are the supporters for the Samoan game?

Same in Oz. In fact its was a lot harder to get a ticket to the French v Wallabies game at the Football Stadium than it was Wallabies v All Blacks at the crap stadium. I mean who wants to travel out to Sydney's deepest darkest western suburbs on a Saturday night when you can pop down to Paddo on a Saturday afternoon.