The Cricket Thread

Old Aug 8th 2015, 1:43 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Originally Posted by Boiler
http://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/73d5b8...rmat&sharp=10&

Shame this will not post in thread awesome photo.
link comes up 'unauthorised'
Old Aug 8th 2015, 2:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
That's the last two Aussie captains we have forced to step down now.
That's actually incorrect. Ponting stepped down when he bowed out in the quarters of the World Cup. But its a good story none the less
Old Aug 8th 2015, 2:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I did not expect this, seriously, I thought it would be closer. The lack of Aussies batting application against the moving ball was shocking.

If England (and Wales and Ireland and SA) can build on this it could be the start of a new era.

I love cricket, so many factors to consider.
Yes, totally agree and well played England. At least you realise the hapless Australian batting had something to do with it at Cardiff, Edgbaston and Trent Bridge.

The future does look bright for England and they have managed to lower the average age of the team at the same time which augers well for the future but they still have a few issues to address - e.g. the lack of runs from Lyth and Buttler, Bell's mainly low scores (did they say he was out for 1 quite a number of times?)

Ponting and Clarke were both at the end of their careers so not solely down to England defeat (Clarke did lead us to a 5-0 last time and series wins following that). The Aussies will do better once they get back to conditions they are brought up on but lessons to be learned for next time for sure.
Old Aug 8th 2015, 9:11 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

He didn't captain another test after the Ashes against us and only stuck around for the WC because he couldn't bow out so close to such a massive tournament. Had he won the WC he still would have bowed out.
Old Aug 8th 2015, 9:18 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
If England (and Wales and Ireland and SA) can build on this it could be the start of a new era.
I think that is a big call. We have to remember that we have just beaten a sh!t team on our own turf. I believe India would have given us a bigger test had they come out this summer. For me there are plenty of positives, Stokes could be the next Flintoff, if not better, Moeen Ali has shown he is potentially a genuine allrounder and Jos Buttler is really settling in. However there are still a lot of concerns for me.
Our batting is just as frail as Aus' batting line up, the difference? Our batters are on their own turf and therefore they should be better than Aus. Bell has still shown he is not out of his slump, so has Cook. Lyth will be out before long and I'm still not convinced Finn is a permanent stay in this team. For me, that's a lot of "holes" in the team.
Old Aug 8th 2015, 11:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I think that is a big call. We have to remember that we have just beaten a sh!t team on our own turf. I believe India would have given us a bigger test had they come out this summer. For me there are plenty of positives, Stokes could be the next Flintoff, if not better, Moeen Ali has shown he is potentially a genuine allrounder and Jos Buttler is really settling in. However there are still a lot of concerns for me.
Our batting is just as frail as Aus' batting line up, the difference? Our batters are on their own turf and therefore they should be better than Aus. Bell has still shown he is not out of his slump, so has Cook. Lyth will be out before long and I'm still not convinced Finn is a permanent stay in this team. For me, that's a lot of "holes" in the team.
That's all correct. England's batters are frail and had Oz hit the spot as was demonstrated in tiny intervals, it was carnage. Even Root was exposed by certain deliveries. The difference again was the bowling. England just a lot better at bowling on conditions they know. Out of England ...... well ..... it aint looking hopeful.
Old Aug 8th 2015, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

He didn't captain another test after the Ashes against us and only stuck around for the WC because he couldn't bow out so close to such a massive tournament. Had he won the WC he still would have bowed out.
Rubbish. The WC killed him.

Shit captain anyway.

I feel a little bit for Clarke. He has been a good captain in the past, a good tactician on the pitch. Something in his head went terribly wrong in the Ashes. Just wasn't doing the right things in the field. Poor field placements and bowler selections. Batting obviously poor too. I think there's more to this that we are not being told. Perhaps he got a touch of the Trescothick's
Old Aug 9th 2015, 12:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

dug this one up, not seeing much point in over analysing the situation, the convicts were shite, and the poms weren't, deserved win, but I'm gutted it's all over now. Keep this playing and have a bit of 'lion sleeps tonight. brilliant
Old Aug 9th 2015, 1:29 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

We'll find out if England have improved overseas during the summer in SA. We will have just come back from a hard 4 test series in India and win, lose of draw it will have toughened us up. A 4-tester too - potentially between the world 1 & 2

Can't wait
Old Aug 9th 2015, 1:35 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Amazulu
We'll find out if England have improved overseas during the summer in SA. We will have just come back from a hard 4 test series in India and win, lose of draw it will have toughened us up. A 4-tester too - potentially between the world 1 & 2

Can't wait
unimportant, we've won the ashes back, that is all that matters.
Old Aug 9th 2015, 2:39 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
unimportant, we've won the ashes back, that is all that matters.
Enjoy the moment - your team deserves it

A sterner test awaits
Old Aug 9th 2015, 5:27 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

.........the convicts were shite, and the poms weren't
Hey, you! All those convicts sent to Australia WERE Poms!

Last edited by old.sparkles; Aug 9th 2015 at 1:02 pm. Reason: fix quote
Old Aug 9th 2015, 7:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Don't rise to the bait.

Last edited by old.sparkles; Aug 9th 2015 at 1:03 pm. Reason: fix quote
Old Aug 9th 2015, 8:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Enjoy the moment - your team deserves it

A sterner test awaits
no-one cares, we've won the ashes, we'll rule the world again

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
haha, I'm pretty upset it's not 2-2, that would've made for a proper series

Originally Posted by OzTennis
you know me it's all in jest, I support England, winning's a bit unusual haha

Last edited by old.sparkles; Aug 9th 2015 at 1:04 pm. Reason: fix quotes
Old Aug 9th 2015, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

no-one cares, we've won the ashes, we'll rule the world again

haha, I'm pretty upset it's not 2-2, that would've made for a proper series

you know me it's all in jest, I support England, winning's a bit unusual haha
I love it. If the Ashes was one sided it would be shit. Keep it rolling on.

Last edited by old.sparkles; Aug 9th 2015 at 1:05 pm. Reason: fix quotes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.