Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Covid testing when travelling internationally

Covid testing when travelling internationally

Old Oct 18th 2021, 5:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Covid testing when travelling internationally

I thought it would be worth passing on some info as our borders are opening up. This info is current as of today and changes all the time

It looks like there are testing requirements when leaving and returning to Australia.

When leaving a PCR test is required. This is not the free one you get with an SMS. A certificate is required. This can cost $150 per person. As an example:

https://www.qantas.com/au/en/travel-info/travel-updates/coronavirus/qantas-international-network-changes/south-pacific-network/covid-testing-requirements.html

Check the requirements when going somewhere too. For example, Fiji, requires a Rapid test after 48 hours and this costs too.

https://www.fiji.travel/covid-19/travelling-to-fiji

Returning to Australia also requires a pre departure PCR test. In somewhere like Fiji a PCR test can cost a few hundred dollars. I believe the UK charges too for a PCR test.

So if you are like me and trying to get some travel booked, aside from looking at all the Covid related cancellation policies don't forget to factor in the Covid testing costs along the way.
Old Oct 18th 2021, 12:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Covid testing when travelling internationally

Originally Posted by Beoz
I thought it would be worth passing on some info as our borders are opening up. This info is current as of today and changes all the time

It looks like there are testing requirements when leaving and returning to Australia.

When leaving a PCR test is required. This is not the free one you get with an SMS. A certificate is required. This can cost $150 per person. As an example:

https://www.qantas.com/au/en/travel-...uirements.html

Check the requirements when going somewhere too. For example, Fiji, requires a Rapid test after 48 hours and this costs too.

https://www.fiji.travel/covid-19/travelling-to-fiji

Returning to Australia also requires a pre departure PCR test. In somewhere like Fiji a PCR test can cost a few hundred dollars. I believe the UK charges too for a PCR test.

So if you are like me and trying to get some travel booked, aside from looking at all the Covid related cancellation policies don't forget to factor in the Covid testing costs along the way.
Useful, thanks!
Old Oct 18th 2021, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Useful, thanks!
It's worth noting, a PCR test that comes with a certificate which is the requirement when leaving Australia and returning to Australia isn't so easy to get here and abroad, as well as being costly. There is also the time factor. 3 days before departure - you would need to make sure you get the certificate back in the 3 days after your test, and if you are travelling to somewhere that's not a big city, getting a PCR test with an accompanying certificate may also be impossible, which will mean refused entry to the return flight.

This is not new to the rest of the world, they are also having these types of issues too.

We are opening up, but putting a lot of roadblocks in the way.
Old Oct 19th 2021, 12:48 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

What worries me is testing positive on my way back and missing the flight and needing somewhere to stay etc.
Old Oct 19th 2021, 1:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by themerlin
What worries me is testing positive on my way back and missing the flight and needing somewhere to stay etc.
Indeed. I did notice a hotel I was looking at actually offered that under their T&C's. If you go positive while you are at their hotel they will accommodate you for 10 days until you break through the quarrentine period free of charge. But without something like that you could be screwed.
Old Oct 19th 2021, 2:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Australia makes the traveller have have PCR test before the flight. There is no sign of changing that but fingers crossed they will as that is a nightmare finding and paying for one abroad.

The UK makes you have a PCR test upon returning to the UK. That is changing and the traveller can use the cheaper Rapid test very soon.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-58917231
Old Oct 19th 2021, 5:24 am

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed. I did notice a hotel I was looking at actually offered that under their T&C's. If you go positive while you are at their hotel they will accommodate you for 10 days until you break through the quarrentine period free of charge. But without something like that you could be screwed.
Not sure how the other guests would appreciate covid patients in the hotel.
Old Oct 19th 2021, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Not sure how the other guests would appreciate covid patients in the hotel.
It is a good question. What to do with someone who gets Covid on holiday? I am sure there has been precedence in Europe this summer. I guess Australia will be asking those same questions next year some time.
Old Oct 21st 2021, 12:21 am

I I am sure there has been precedence in Europe this summer.
My dad just flew back from Spain to the UK, they require you to book a PCR test before you can fly back, however some bloke in the pub gave him a reference code that seem to work, I don't think they are checking the uniqueness of the PCR booking reference codes.
Old Oct 21st 2021, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My dad just flew back from Spain to the UK, they require you to book a PCR test before you can fly back, however some bloke in the pub gave him a reference code that seem to work, I don't think they are checking the uniqueness of the PCR booking reference codes.
It says here only if he was unvaccinated or travelling from a red list country. Spain is not a red list country. Is he unvaccinated?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...ing-to-england

Old Oct 21st 2021, 5:13 am

It says here only if he was unvaccinated or travelling from a red list country. Spain is not a red list country. Is he unvaccinated?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...ing-to-england
Thats what I thought, but you need a day 2 test when you get to England, and you have to book and pay for that before you fly otherwise they won't accept you.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-t...virus-covid-19

Old Oct 21st 2021, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thats what I thought, but you need a day 2 test when you get to England, and you have to book and pay for that before you fly otherwise they won't accept you.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-t...virus-covid-19
Ah right. I thought you meant have the test in Spain. Yes that's right, however that is changing on the 24 Oct. You can use a Lateral Flow / Rapid Ant test from that date. The much cheaper ones. I am sure dodgy codes can be used for those too. I hear it's just an upload of the result.

They should be more worried about getting the secondary students vaxxed. 10% are off sick with Covid

Last edited by Beoz; Oct 21st 2021 at 7:14 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2021, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

Brisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond repute

I supposed that's one way around it .

Dont forget England will have different criteria to Scotland and Wales:

Who needs to take a test

You must take a COVID-19 test before you travel to England if you either:
  • do not qualify as fully vaccinated for travel to England
  • have been in a country or territory on the red list in the 10 days before you will arrive in England
You do not have to take a COVID-19 test before you travel to England if you qualify as fully vaccinated and you have not been in a red list country.

Check the Travel to England guidance to find out if you qualify as fully vaccinated.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...to-take-a-test

Old Oct 23rd 2021, 11:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

From today, bye bye expensive PCR test in England when returning.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-59025413

Australia needs to get this little roadblock sorted before they open the borders shortly.
Old Nov 8th 2021, 3:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

https://www.traveller.com.au/getting...ositive-h1zn7r

More of the repeat info here. One thing new that didn't occur to me was that you can test positive with PCR testing for up to 90 days from infection, so catching it abroad means a doctors certificate rather than a PCR test before returning to Australia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.