The cost of things

Old Feb 15th 2010, 2:01 am
Banned

creepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud of
Default Re: The cost of things

Originally Posted by chrissystevo
I have made a few comments in the past, and read a number of posts, regarding the general living costs in Australia being so high, rent, food, internet etc. however I was shocked at the weekend when I took my son to look at signing up for our local Under 10's rugby union. $225 sign up fee and $75 for a training top. Added to this will be the costs for boots, protective equipment, transport costs etc. The local soccer club wasn't much better at $200 for the season, plus the obligatory family membership to join the club. Back in the UK we never had to pay more that 40 pounds for a season and soccer was generally pay 3 or 4 pounds per week. How on earth can they justify these costs? I have also been looking at getting my daughter in dance schools but the costs of these are also prohibitive.

Another moan over.
Lots of stuff is very expensive in Australia - just quietly.

It's almost like a dirty secret in Australia that people try to hush-up, lest it might damage Australia's golden reputation for cheapness.

Try to avoid the mistake of thinking that EVERYTHING is more expensive in the UK. Because it actually isn't.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 2:05 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by creepycrawley
Lots of stuff is very expensive in Australia - just quietly.

It's almost like a dirty secret in Australia that people try to hush-up, lest it might damage Australia's golden reputation for cheapness.

Try to avoid the mistake of thinking that EVERYTHING is more expensive in the UK. Because it actually isn't.
Correct but this has been done to death on here dude.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 2:07 am
Banned

creepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Correct but this has been done to death on here dude.
I didn't start the thread.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 3:46 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't start the thread.
I never said you did, I was just replying to your post which was about a topic that has been done to death on here.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

Weird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really nice

Football is $160 for one kid or $280 for 2

I pay $14 for swimming lessons. I think parents are more willing to pay more for these if the teacher is good and class sizes are small. There is nothing more irritating that paying and having a different teacher each week. Private lessons are $35 up and there are plenty of parents willing to pay that amount.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 5:28 am
ABCDiamond

As this is a "The cost of things" thread, can I add in the cost of the watermelon I just bought ? It weighs 9.3kg.

Old Feb 15th 2010, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

kendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nice

My god! Thank god my girl grew up in the UK - fraction of the cost!!
Everything seems such a rip off here, glad it's not just us that thinks that!!
We migrated 15 years too late, used to be cheap as chips, not any more!!!
Would be tons better off if we still lived in the UK!!!!!
Old Feb 15th 2010, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
Just wondering, what are people paying for swimming lessons for their kids ? here in Aus, and in the UK?

just enrolled the little one at a swim school which has a very good reputation, great facilities and very well qualified, friendly staff. Cost is $60 per month.

Other places do it cheaper.... cheapest I have seen is $12 per session.
My kids did swimming lessons as part of the curriculum during school time.I know it was very cheap but that was quite a long time ago.My daughter takes her little daughter to the local pool(UK)and pays £4 per lesson.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 5:44 am
Banned

Originally Posted by kendalanita
My god! Thank god my girl grew up in the UK - fraction of the cost!!
Everything seems such a rip off here, glad it's not just us that thinks that!!
We migrated 15 years too late, used to be cheap as chips, not any more!!!
Would be tons better off if we still lived in the UK!!!!!
Yes - you are right to say that it used to be very cheap here in many respects and people kind of haven't fully woken up to the idea that times have changed in Australia as far as price is concerned.

There are lots of areas where I spend more than I would do in the UK here.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 5:46 am
ABCDiamond

Yes - you are right to say that it used to be very cheap here in many respects and people kind of haven't fully woken up to the idea that times have changed in Australia as far as price is concerned.
But remember wages have gone up as well. Maybe people don't really notice, as it is swings and roundabouts ?

Old Feb 15th 2010, 5:47 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chrissystevo
I have made a few comments in the past, and read a number of posts, regarding the general living costs in Australia being so high, rent, food, internet etc. however I was shocked at the weekend when I took my son to look at signing up for our local Under 10's rugby union. $225 sign up fee and $75 for a training top. Added to this will be the costs for boots, protective equipment, transport costs etc. The local soccer club wasn't much better at $200 for the season, plus the obligatory family membership to join the club. Back in the UK we never had to pay more that 40 pounds for a season and soccer was generally pay 3 or 4 pounds per week. How on earth can they justify these costs? I have also been looking at getting my daughter in dance schools but the costs of these are also prohibitive.

Another moan over.

know how you feel, both my girls done gymnastics in scotland (my now 18 year old had been in gymnastics since she was 3 or 4), anyway we couldnt afford it here, so when she came here at age 15, we tried it for a while, but the cost was just too much between her and her sister, however through getting to know some gymnastic peeps, she is going to do her first coaching certificate this year and will get paid to coach the little'uns
Old Feb 15th 2010, 5:48 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

spot on young man! or woman!, especially regarding sport!

Last edited by Margaret3; Feb 15th 2010 at 5:52 am.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 5:57 am
Banned

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
But remember wages have gone up as well. Maybe people don't really notice, as it is swings and roundabouts ?
Most sensible older Australians agree that Australia is vastly less affordable than it once was. Housing used to be dirt cheap compared to the UK. Not really all that easy for first time home buyers here anymore.

People who came here having sold a property in the UK 10 or 15 years ago are in no position to judge because, financially, they got it easy back then.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 6:24 am
ABCDiamond

By pure co-incidence the ABS released the 6463.0 Analytical Living Cost Indexes for Selected Australian Household Types, Dec 2009
today.

The figures show:
Employee : CPI : Month
100.0 : 100.0 : Jun-98
140.1 : 141.6 : Dec-09

This shows very little real change, a total 1.5% real cost increase over 11 years ?

Comparing against the UK is a totally different thing, as things bring Exchange rates into play, but for those living in Australia and earning an Australian income, my personal view is that everything just seems to stay pretty level on average, and this is born out by todays ABS stats.

Going back to the UK comparison, that will change again when the UK improves and the FX rate returns back to a more favourable rate for the British.

Old Feb 15th 2010, 6:26 am
ABCDiamond

Most sensible older Australians agree that Australia is vastly less affordable than it once was. Housing used to be dirt cheap compared to the UK. Not really all that easy for first time home buyers here anymore.

People who came here having sold a property in the UK 10 or 15 years ago are in no position to judge because, financially, they got it easy back then.
Property is a different matter, although even that depends on the area...

But this thread was started in relation to "regarding the general living costs in Australia being so high, rent, food, internet etc." which is what I was answering.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.