Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Cost of Sunshine

Wikiposts

The Cost of Sunshine

Old May 3rd 2006, 10:06 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile The Cost of Sunshine

I hate the winters here and love it when the sun shines and cannot wait to move but I do think wanting a new life comes at a price.

The weather in Australia is a bonus in our migration although if I was told that in Oz, it pissed it down 364 days of the year, dark skies for 6 months of the year, then I am not sure if I would stay put or not, so it must have a larger impact on us than I realised.

Its a bloody long way to go for the sun and a laid back way of life, but hey ho, it feels right being there - in fact, it feels like 'home'.

So we have spent lots of money in applying for our visa and made huge employment sacrifices in the process.

The totals are adding up to the cost of our own bit of sunshine and relaxed attitude and whilst that wasnt our main reason, it is becoming a larger one.

Tonight I called my Dad to see how he is, he has hurt himself at work and can barely move and at nearly 70, I think he is pushing it a bit.

'Ive taken painkillers and doctor said I must rest. I dont want to get unfit and old' He said and then added ruefully 'Trouble is, my mind thinks I am still young and doesn't want to think of me as an old man'

So at 6ft 4inches, my big strong Dad has officially admitted to being in the 'Old Club'.

Fighting back the tears of such an admission because to be honest, Dad wont be old until I say so and that will be at least 90.

So when did I think that I had the monopoly on how old my Dad will get?

To be honest, my Mums death shook my foundations. Why? Because I really thought, if not naively, that my family would be around for yonks.

I am going to Australia and it hurts far too much to think of them dying, so quite simply, I wont. I shall bury my head in the sand and think they will be just fine and dandy and I will never get 'that call' to come back to the UK because Dad is ill or my sisters and brothers need me.

It just wont happen because if I think it, it is looking on the dark side.

In my mind, our migration will go ahead, get the visa and we will move, there will be tears but everything will be OK because they will come and visit, wont they? And England is only 2 days away if you can get the flight.

The price of sunshine has just gone up considerably.

My choices.

Stay put, not a choice really because we have made our decision and Dad said whilst he will cry when we go, he knows it is what we want. Besides, hubby and I have huge plans for our new life and I am so excited at the challenges we will face.

Family said they will all come and visit, so that is all good.

As for fearing for my Dad, who is actually the biggest, bestest, strongest Dad on the Block (my block anyway), the man who use to build me a 'den' in the trees, I now realise that I cannot change what will happen in his life.

I do anticipate that distance between us will be equal to that of swimming against the tide with weights on your legs.

He is getting old and I shall worry about him wherever he is or I am, just as he worries about me and calls me loads during the week.

To be honest, distance cant stop a family bond, and nothing can change that.

Yes, we will go but I have realised our new life comes at a high price.

But at least it has dawned on me before we go so now I can really appreciate those I love and communicate that to them.

Give us the visa, bring on that sunshine, bring on the visitors and bring on my Dad so I can show him our new life and my own little 'den' I have made.
Old May 3rd 2006, 10:13 am

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Cost of Sunshine

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I hate the winters here and love it when the sun shines and cannot wait to move but I do think wanting a new life comes at a price.

The weather in Australia is a bonus in our migration although if I was told that in Oz, it pissed it down 364 days of the year, dark skies for 6 months of the year, then I am not sure if I would stay put or not, so it must have a larger impact on us than I realised.

Its a bloody long way to go for the sun and a laid back way of life, but hey ho, it feels right being there - in fact, it feels like 'home'.

So we have spent lots of money in applying for our visa and made huge employment sacrifices in the process.

The totals are adding up to the cost of our own bit of sunshine and relaxed attitude and whilst that wasnt our main reason, it is becoming a larger one.

Tonight I called my Dad to see how he is, he has hurt himself at work and can barely move and at nearly 70, I think he is pushing it a bit.

'Ive taken painkillers and doctor said I must rest. I dont want to get unfit and old' He said and then added ruefully 'Trouble is, my mind thinks I am still young and doesn't want to think of me as an old man'

So at 6ft 4inches, my big strong Dad has officially admitted to being in the 'Old Club'.

Fighting back the tears of such an admission because to be honest, Dad wont be old until I say so and that will be at least 90.

So when did I think that I had the monopoly on how old my Dad will get?

To be honest, my Mums death shook my foundations. Why? Because I really thought, if not naively, that my family would be around for yonks.

I am going to Australia and it hurts far too much to think of them dying, so quite simply, I wont. I shall bury my head in the sand and think they will be just fine and dandy and I will never get 'that call' to come back to the UK because Dad is ill or my sisters and brothers need me.

It just wont happen because if I think it, it is looking on the dark side.

In my mind, our migration will go ahead, get the visa and we will move, there will be tears but everything will be OK because they will come and visit, wont they? And England is only 2 days away if you can get the flight.

The price of sunshine has just gone up considerably.

My choices.

Stay put, not a choice really because we have made our decision and Dad said whilst he will cry when we go, he knows it is what we want. Besides, hubby and I have huge plans for our new life and I am so excited at the challenges we will face.

Family said they will all come and visit, so that is all good.

As for fearing for my Dad, who is actually the biggest, bestest, strongest Dad on the Block (my block anyway), the man who use to build me a 'den' in the trees, I now realise that I cannot change what will happen in his life.

I do anticipate that distance between us will be equal to that of swimming against the tide with weights on your legs.

He is getting old and I shall worry about him wherever he is or I am, just as he worries about me and calls me loads during the week.

To be honest, distance cant stop a family bond, and nothing can change that.

Yes, we will go but I have realised our new life comes at a high price.

But at least it has dawned on me before we go so now I can really appreciate those I love and communicate that to them.

Give us the visa, bring on that sunshine, bring on the visitors and bring on my Dad so I can show him our new life and my own little 'den' I have made.

It aint easy is it Think everyone on here pays for the cost of sunshine just with different currency
Old May 3rd 2006, 10:13 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret2
It aint easy is it Think everyone on here pays for the cost of sunshine just with different currency

That is so true Mags.

Its a rip off really, its the same sun
Old May 3rd 2006, 4:30 pm

OMFG, after all the hassle of panel doc not filling in my medical forms properly and missing out loads of questions, LCU emailed me a couple of hours ago and said they now have the medical info and will process my meds. :scared:

Now bloody scared in case they make me have further tests for asthma.

Does anyone know if this is common place if you have been put in a Category A?

Very scared now
Old May 3rd 2006, 4:35 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

OMFG, after all the hassle of panel doc not filling in my medical forms properly and missing out loads of questions, LCU emailed me a couple of hours ago and said they now have the medical info and will process my meds. :scared:

Very scared now
If your Cat A its very unlikely you will be asked for more tests Sam.
Are things moving quicker than you thought???
Old May 3rd 2006, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Bordy
If your Cat A its very unlikely you will be asked for more tests Sam.
Are things moving quicker than you thought???

They have whizzed along so far Bordy and I have had my 'gut feelings' that have been right as well.

Its just because I put down about my asthma, or rather Doctor did as I wasnt sure what to put, and my pole dancing broken leg, which was a hairline fracture so not much needed, I had heard from some BE members that if you declare any med contition, you would be referred.

Some it appears, havent been referred but some have. I dont know if being put in a Cat A by panel doctor has a bearing on that fact.

Things need to happen quickly for us. Hubby will be subject to more indepth checks than me as he is an Arab, which is fair enough and they can take 7 months, that is what some have been waiting from the same country.

I just want to get the meds processed and out of the way. Abdels are done and dusted, its just mine now.

Hopefully our police checks should be back today as its the 40th day.
Old May 3rd 2006, 7:25 pm
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Very scared now
We declared my son's asthma and my high blood pressure and under active thyroid (all controlled with medication) and we got our visas no problem. I'm sure you will be fine Sam
Old May 3rd 2006, 7:46 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, do i have to declare medical issues from years ago?? were only at tra stage but medically we could be at drs for hours!!!
i broke my collar bone bout 6 times...(horses), and ribs... got a curvature of the spine, very slight...hubbys had a hernia op n knee op..even kids have had issues...ewww the list is endless.. :scared:
Originally Posted by The A Team
We declared my son's asthma and my high blood pressure and under active thyroid (all controlled with medication) and we got our visas no problem. I'm sure you will be fine Sam
Old May 3rd 2006, 7:50 pm
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katsmajic
Hi, do i have to declare medical issues from years ago?? were only at tra stage but medically we could be at drs for hours!!!
i broke my collar bone bout 6 times...(horses), and ribs... got a curvature of the spine, very slight...hubbys had a hernia op n knee op..even kids have had issues...ewww the list is endless.. :scared:
I think you should declare everything, we did anyway. I declared an eye operation I had when I was 2!!!!
Old May 3rd 2006, 8:40 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The Cost of Sunshine

thanks.
this is gona take as long as the tra to write up...

Originally Posted by The A Team
I think you should declare everything, we did anyway. I declared an eye operation I had when I was 2!!!!
Old May 3rd 2006, 9:13 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Sorry Kat I thought I was PM'ing you but posted by mistake, oops, too much vino!
Old May 3rd 2006, 9:24 pm
broken but got a visa! :

already!!!!

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Sorry Kat I thought I was PM'ing you but posted by mistake, oops, too much vino!
you did pm me...lol
kat xxx
Old May 3rd 2006, 9:26 pm
broken but got a visa! :

just realized...your on OZ time...
have one for me..
Originally Posted by katsmajic
already!!!!

you did pm me...lol
kat xxx
Old May 3rd 2006, 10:26 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I was told that in Oz, it pissed it down 364 days of the year, dark skies for 6 months of the year, then I am not sure if I would stay put or not, so it must have a larger impact on us than I realised.
Very true Sam, very true. But don't beat yourself up about it. Remember that it's partly that same sunshine that made Australia the way it is, the attitude, the love of sport, the fondness for barbies and cricket and county fairs and all that. I mean, when was the last time you saw a laid-back Moscowvite? Or an uptight West Indian? People trot out pat phrases like 'You'd be mad to emigrate for the weather', when it's the weather that's had a formative influence on the place you're moving to.
Old May 3rd 2006, 11:53 pm

Now I have had the email from LCU saying my meds are being processed, will they let me know if they are OK?