British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Cost of parking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/cost-parking-675197/)

Deancm_MKII Jul 5th 2010 1:47 am

Cost of parking

Whats the most you have paid to park your car. Last week I parked my car in a Wilson car park in Melbourne and they charged me $57 for just under 3 hours. Daylight robbery or what?

Hutch Jul 5th 2010 1:54 am

Re: Cost of parking

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII (Post 8677594)
Whats the most you have paid to park your car. Last week I parked my car in a Wilson car park in Melbourne and they charged me $57 for just under 3 hours. Daylight robbery or what?

Hmmm - paid similar in Sydney a month ago. Think it was a Wilsons as well. Normally I park in free street parking spaces but on that occasion as I was in a bit of Sydney I didn't know and couldn't find any spaces free so had to do the car park thing. Cheaper than London though.

Deancm_MKII Jul 5th 2010 1:59 am

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 8677597)
Hmmm - paid similar in Sydney a month ago. Think it was a Wilsons as well. Normally I park in free street parking spaces but on that occasion as I was in a bit of Sydney I didn't know and couldn't find any spaces free so had to do the car park thing. Cheaper than London though.

The best of it was though that the advertised sign stated "$18 for the first 3 hours". The small print which is unreadble while sitting in a car states "per hour"

bcworld Jul 5th 2010 1:59 am

I always remember Marks & Spencer in the Kings Rd, Chelsea. Back in 2003 you got the first hour free if you spent 10 quid in the store...otherwise it was 25 quid an hour!

Kooky. Jul 5th 2010 2:01 am

Yep, it's scandalous. We've paid over $70 at a Wilsons on Kent St in Sydney.

(When I say "we", it's gone on The Geek's expenses, but still hurts. Unfortunately if he's in town he's usually carrying too much technology for the train.)

Deancm_MKII Jul 5th 2010 2:02 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 8677604)
I always remember Marks & Spencer in the Kings Rd, Chelsea. Back in 2003 you got the first hour free if you spent 10 quid in the store...otherwise it was 25 quid an hour!

I don't think I've ever paid more than about 8 pound/hour in London.

Buzzy--Bee Jul 5th 2010 4:31 am

Parking meters are only $4 per hour. I think this is a bargain. And I haven't ever had much trouble finding an empty one.

BB

DeadVim Jul 5th 2010 4:55 am

Aye, shocking ... my daily park is $15 a day over at South Bank, a pleasant (in winter) 25 minute walk to and from the office is a bonus and helps maintain the lard/lean balance sheet.

Hebe Jul 5th 2010 5:26 am

Only yesterday my friend was saying that they parked overnight in a car park in the city - not even 24 hours and were charged $95!

Deancm_MKII Jul 5th 2010 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 8677734)
Parking meters are only $4 per hour. I think this is a bargain. And I haven't ever had much trouble finding an empty one.

BB

You don't park in the CBD during business hours much do you? :)

Yes, parking meters are the best bet, IF you can find an empty one.

Deancm_MKII Jul 5th 2010 6:14 am

Originally Posted by Hebe (Post 8677794)
Only yesterday my friend was saying that they parked overnight in a car park in the city - not even 24 hours and were charged $95!

Which car park was that?

eddie007 Jul 5th 2010 9:46 am

Last time I paid for a car parking place... Princess Margaret Hospital for Sick kids... perf... $0.60 an hour... OUTRAGEOUS:thumbdown:

Jen1977ni Jul 5th 2010 9:48 am

Been here 5 months and not paid a cent in carparking...you should all move to Chumbawumba lol

themerlin Jul 5th 2010 9:59 am

The carpark in the china town is $7 per day roof top, that walk will keep you fit :)
I think that's the cheapest in Brisbane.

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 8677762)
Aye, shocking ... my daily park is $15 a day over at South Bank, a pleasant (in winter) 25 minute walk to and from the office is a bonus and helps maintain the lard/lean balance sheet.

themerlin Jul 5th 2010 10:00 am

Difficult to charge for horse parking ;)

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni (Post 8678206)
Been here 5 months and not paid a cent in carparking...you should all move to Chumbawumba lol