Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Cost of living calculators - Correct?

Wikiposts

Cost of living calculators - Correct?

Old Jun 2nd 2008, 5:24 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cost of living calculators - Correct?

Does anyone know anything about these?

I've just looked at a few and they say, for example, if you earn £60000 in the U.K you would need to earn £52000 (converted into dollars $107000) in order to maintain the same lifestyle in Australia.
Anecdotal evidence on this site suggests you would need to earn exactly the same in order to maintain the same lifestyle.
What do you think?
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

mr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Cost of living calculators - Correct?

have you got a link for these please?

john
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri

I've just looked at a few and they say, for example, if you earn £60000 in the U.K you would need to earn £52000 (converted into dollars $107000) in order to maintain the same lifestyle in Australia.
Anecdotal evidence on this site suggests you would need to earn exactly the same in order to maintain the same lifestyle.
What do you think?
I think I wish I knew what it was like to earn £60k a year would settle for $102k at a push though .
If that's right then I'm fine with my $50k a year then!
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 10:00 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

What do you think?
Kathy I would say you need to earn double in $$, so if you earn 60,000 pounds you would need to earn $120,000.

Buzzy
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Kathy I would say you need to earn double in $$, so if you earn 60,000 pounds you would need to earn $120,000.

Buzzy

Very true, but not a lot jobs pay that, unless you go for mining jobs, or very specialize jobs, or have both partners working & earning $60,000 each to have the same life style as in UK.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 1:35 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Buzzy
I agree with this and have said as much in the past. Obviously it's a rough guide and the reality will depend on your particular circumstances.

It's interesting now that the actual exchange rate is 2:1 that Aus is no longer considered cheap.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 7:35 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
I think I wish I knew what it was like to earn £60k a year would settle for $102k at a push though .
If that's right then I'm fine with my $50k a year then!
I'd like that too!

Twas just an example unfortunately
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 7:37 pm
Happy migrant

Originally Posted by mr luvpants
have you got a link for these please?

john
Here you go.

Although most people on here say they're not correct and you need to earn double in dollars what you earnt in pounds.

Last edited by Kapri; Jun 2nd 2008 at 7:38 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 7:38 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I agree with this and have said as much in the past. Obviously it's a rough guide and the reality will depend on your particular circumstances.

It's interesting now that the actual exchange rate is 2:1 that Aus is no longer considered cheap.
I don't think it was cheap at 2.5:1. It's jut more expensive now at 2:1.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 11:34 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

What do you think?
Don't forget that if you have a house to sell in the UK with equity where you come from makes a huge difference. Sell a house in London and you might be mortgage free here.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 3:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther

It's great for us from a holiday perspective now ML

The shopping is fantastic.

Anyone ever been to Lillywhites in Piccadilly ? 5 floors of knocked down designer goods.... bloody brilliant. Circa half the Aus price if not less. I'm working out how I can get it sent over surface mail in the future.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 3:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
Don't forget that if you have a house to sell in the UK with equity where you come from makes a huge difference. Sell a house in London and you might be mortgage free here.
Yehp still looks that way, a 2bedroom smallish flat in South Woodford, is worth fairly close to what my 3 bed place house is in Melbourne... you would probably only need another 50,000 quid. There again I could probably swap two houses in North wales for my House in Melbourne.

Big difference in price depending on location here... I guess the same in Aus, but hardly anyone lives in the cheaper locations in Aus.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 4:21 am
Happy migrant

Originally Posted by worzel
I wish