British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Cost of living - Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/cost-living-australia-748444/)

JoeBloggs80 Feb 19th 2012 9:44 pm

Re: Cost of living - Australia

Originally Posted by isgraham (Post 9907114)
So did I then I moved back to London and earn even more live in a house save several thousand pounds per month have more holiday have a better standard of living and pay less for lettuce. I'm also willing to bet your flat in Sydney isn't as good as mine was.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to compete with your fabulous wealth. I was simply replying to your comment that a comparison between sydney and london would be better. I'm glad things are going well for you back in London although you might want to change your location as it says you are still saving up to move back over here?

And you may well have had a nicer flat in Sydney than me.....

...but I'm sure I've got a bigger willy :thumbup:

paddyo Feb 19th 2012 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80 (Post 9910484)
Sorry, I wasn't trying to compete with your fabulous wealth. I was simply replying to your comment that a comparison between sydney and london would be better. I'm glad things are going well for you back in London although you might want to change your location as it says you are still saving up to move back over here?

no you ain't.....I've seen it!! Oh....did I say that out loud!

Pollyana Feb 19th 2012 11:41 pm

:rofl::rofl:

chris955 Feb 19th 2012 11:59 pm

It does seem acceptable though to say you earn 2 or 3 times as much here as back in the UK OR as I have also seen on this forum someone say that 'people earn twice as much here' which is clearly not accurate but doesn't seem to be questioned. Just saying :lol:

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 9910452)
There are some stand out examples though.

Gave up a penthouse pad in Sydney whilst earning a massive wedge, to go back to London and earn a gazillion pounds a year, in the 'City', in a recession and still get to spend most of your time in the pub.

Unless he has a time machine and moved back to 1986 as well, then it just sounds a little, how can I put it, 'unlikely'.

commonwealth Feb 20th 2012 8:52 am

P.O.I.D.H. ;) :rofl:

Pollyana Feb 20th 2012 10:47 am

Originally Posted by commonwealth (Post 9911007)

Not on BE thanks ;)

commonwealth Feb 21st 2012 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9911134)
Not on BE thanks ;)

Not even thru PM?

:unsure::sneaky:

Vegemite Kids Feb 21st 2012 11:36 am

Originally Posted by commonwealth (Post 9911007)

I dont think 'isgraham' (or whatever his name is) would be willing to allow the comparison though.

I'm pretty sure all his talk of big jobs, big money, big houses etc, is over compensating for something - if you know what I mean ;):o:rofl:

artie Feb 21st 2012 2:18 pm

where food is concerned I totally blame Woolworths and Coles for the high cost in Australia compared to other countries particularly for fresh food. There is no one (government) willing to control them (higher prices = higher tax). I know a farmer who produces eggs that end up at one of the above who is getting the same money per dozen as he was getting 10 years ago, yet the supermarkets are selling them for nearly double what they were 10 years ago. Work that out !!! (greed)

And how is it that they are now ploughing all our money back into constructing new stores on every corner and driving out what little competition is left in their way ?

I know we in OZ have ridden the GFC pretty well over the last few years, but think how much better off all of us, and the country would be, if instead of these massive corporations taking all the money and distributing to a few already wealthy individuals. With lower fresh food prices we all would have loads more money in our pockets to spend on other things and therefore help the economy and distribute the wealth more evenly.

Dream over........