Cost of living - Australia

Cost of living - Australia

Old Feb 16th 2012, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

Goldy02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of living - Australia

Originally Posted by lonndongeek
What a load of bollocks!

Doing a straight conversion with the current exchange rate I'm on a lower salary than when we left the UK 4.5 years ago yet we have a 3 bedroom house (Adelaide hills) 2 cars and a nicely comfortable lifestyle.

We had no chance of buying a house in London and it wasn't worth owning a car.

Yes lettuces may be more expensive (good reason not to eat rabbit food) but overall our personal experience (sorry, no random surveys) is that financially we're much better off in Adelaide than we were in London.

Cheers

LG

Thank you so very much....you have just answered our question

Oh and had to say....if its luttuce you want....much cheaper and tastier to grow your own
Old Feb 16th 2012, 7:54 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Food is definitely more expensive here no matter what exchange rate you use and utilities are continuing to go through the roof. Of course some people come here and earn more but that isn't what these surveys are about.
I should add that you only have to read these forums to realise that some come here and earn more (in real terms) and other earn less. Some find it cheap and have a lifestyle they couldn't have had in the UK and for others it is the opposite. You also have to remember that for many of the people who come here as skilled migrants they are earning much more than the average Aussie. The average man/woman in the street is struggling and we should remember that.

Last edited by chris955; Feb 16th 2012 at 8:02 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 8:45 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Damson
Not living in Oz, but from what I gather from friends, forum etc, that to save money you need to go out of town to markets and steer away from supermarkets as much as poss and convenience food is very expensive. Also, buy in bulk and freeze (bit like anywhere I guess).
Trouble is not everyone has the time or the transport to spend hours shopping around and getting little bits here and there.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 8:47 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Goldy02

Oh and had to say....if its luttuce you want....much cheaper and tastier to grow your own
Hmmm not everyone can do that either! lack of space and no garden available can be limiting factors in lettuce production! I solve the problem by not eating the stuff!
Old Feb 16th 2012, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lonndongeek
What a load of bollocks!

Doing a straight conversion with the current exchange rate I'm on a lower salary than when we left the UK 4.5 years ago yet we have a 3 bedroom house (Adelaide hills) 2 cars and a nicely comfortable lifestyle.

We had no chance of buying a house in London and it wasn't worth owning a car.

Yes lettuces may be more expensive (good reason not to eat rabbit food) but overall our personal experience (sorry, no random surveys) is that financially we're much better off in Adelaide than we were in London.

Cheers

LG
So you moved from a world class city to Adelaide not exactly a fair comparison is iit? You could achieve the same by moving to a small city in the UK or get a better comparison by comparing London to say Sydney.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 11:12 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately comparing apples to oranges is very common on here and makes the comparisons meaningless. If I moved from inner city Birmingham to a village in Somerset i would be better off in every way imaginable.

Originally Posted by isgraham
So you moved from a world class city to Adelaide not exactly a fair comparison is iit? You could achieve the same by moving to a small city in the UK or get a better comparison by comparing London to say Sydney.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

I moved from london to sydney. Do the same job, earn more, save more, live in a nicer flat, have a better standard of living, pay more for lettuce.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Unfortunately comparing apples to oranges is very common on here and makes the comparisons meaningless. If I moved from inner city Birmingham to a village in Somerset i would be better off in every way imaginable.
You wouldn't get as good a curry!
Old Feb 17th 2012, 12:27 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

For me, overall COL is roughly the same with the UK slightly cheaper.

More expensive groceries here are offset by cheaper fuel and other stuff.

At $3/GBP or $1.45/GBP, I earn more than I did in the UK.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 3:07 am
Banned

Don't you believe it, our local made THE best curry I have ever had

Originally Posted by LouiseR
You wouldn't get as good a curry!
Old Feb 17th 2012, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
I moved from london to sydney. Do the same job, earn more, save more, live in a nicer flat, have a better standard of living, pay more for lettuce.
So did I then I moved back to London and earn even more live in a house save several thousand pounds per month have more holiday have a better standard of living and pay less for lettuce. I'm also willing to bet your flat in Sydney isn't as good as mine was.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 4:57 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

So did I then I moved back to London and earn even more live in a house save several thousand pounds per month have more holiday have a better standard of living and pay less for lettuce. I'm also willing to bet your flat in Sydney isn't as good as mine was.
What a flucking arrogant statement.

Suggestion ... take your head out of your arse.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids

Jealous are you? Never mind I'm used to it water off a ducks back to me.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 11:02 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids

I think hes around the age of 10
Old Feb 18th 2012, 7:19 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Margaret3
I think hes around the age of 10
Kind of smacks of "my dad's stronger than your dad" doesn't it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.