Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Old Jul 3rd 2021, 1:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Early in the piece, around the time Australia locked the gates, I said it would be 2025 before we could fly to Europe again like we used to. Everyone laughed at me at work, but now they are starting to wonder if I am psychic after all.
There is a way out earlier. Stop giving these idiots like Jannette Young air time. Stick to the plan. Get AZ if Pfizer is not available to you and your GP says it's OK. It's all going to hinge on what they determine the percentage vaxxed is. And that doesn't matter which brand.
Old Jul 3rd 2021, 1:46 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Scouse is getting his second AZ early next week, I'm getting my first AZ later in the week
Old Jul 5th 2021, 8:43 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Early in the piece, around the time Australia locked the gates, I said it would be 2025 before we could fly to Europe again like we used to. Everyone laughed at me at work, but now they are starting to wonder if I am psychic after all.
Yeah. Scary hey.
Old Jul 5th 2021, 8:44 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Got my first Pfizer jab yesterday. The next one is due in 4 weeks time.
Old Jul 5th 2021, 3:36 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
There is a way out earlier. Stop giving these idiots like Jannette Young air time. Stick to the plan. Get AZ if Pfizer is not available to you and your GP says it's OK. It's all going to hinge on what they determine the percentage vaxxed is. And that doesn't matter which brand.
Lots of Qlders think the sun shines out of Jeannette. Shes such a heroine she is to be the next Governor of Qld. She''s already stated her first intention - to make the entire state a non-smoking area, criminalising smokers and making cigarettes illegal That should kill her popularity.
Old Jul 6th 2021, 1:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of Qlders think the sun shines out of Jeannette. Shes such a heroine she is to be the next Governor of Qld. She''s already stated her first intention - to make the entire state a non-smoking area, criminalising smokers and making cigarettes illegal That should kill her popularity.
Yes its clearly obvious Queenslanders feel like she is the protector. When we start to live with the virus, she's going be forced to shift her rhetoric. Lets see if she can adapt.
Old Jul 6th 2021, 7:17 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

If I was young Australian I'd consider going to the UK and having a European adventure:
1. No more lockdowns.
2. Walk-in vaccinations for everybody with no questions asked.
3. With the economy bouncing back there are lots of places hiring again.
4. Euroland is reopening once you've had your jabs.
Old Jul 8th 2021, 5:43 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon you'll be about right with that prediction. I don't think Australia will reach much more than 65-70% of voluntary vaccination. At that point they might just say "to hell with it" and stop trying to contain the cases. A few thousand deaths in areas like I live in will quickly turn the fence sitters in to queuing for a jab. There will remain a hardcore 10% that will never ever get vaccinated.They don't travel interstate never mind overseas so won't care.
Old Jul 9th 2021, 3:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like Mark McGowan is gonna help me retire early by keeping me in WA again (well, making it impossible for me to return from r&r). Not sure where he gets off with his rogue state statements, but in my opinion he, and that other moron Pinochet have done some long term damage to this country, it's shameful. I'm pissed off 🤣
Old Jul 9th 2021, 7:13 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
Looks like Mark McGowan is gonna help me retire early by keeping me in WA again (well, making it impossible for me to return from r&r). Not sure where he gets off with his rogue state statements, but in my opinion he, and that other moron Pinochet have done some long term damage to this country, it's shameful. I'm pissed off 🤣
I can't stand McGowan but I'm in a tiny minority in this state that's for sure! The voters have handed him absolute power and we now have no real opposition to him and his policies - and we are starting to see the consequences, even outside of the area of pandemic response

Mental
Old Jul 10th 2021, 1:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
I reckon you'll be about right with that prediction. I don't think Australia will reach much more than 65-70% of voluntary vaccination. At that point they might just say "to hell with it" and stop trying to contain the cases. A few thousand deaths in areas like I live in will quickly turn the fence sitters in to queuing for a jab. There will remain a hardcore 10% that will never ever get vaccinated.They don't travel interstate never mind overseas so won't care.

Strong belief down here, that international restrictions and overseas travel will start to happen after November this year. Melbourne cup time.

Thats from people within Victorian Government circles. Hope they are right.

I reckon my wife and I will be in Europe holidaying next year.

Old Jul 10th 2021, 2:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Strong belief down here, that international restrictions and overseas travel will start to happen after November this year. Melbourne cup time.

Good one Ozzie! I think we will start to see numbers get near in the Spring esp if younger people get Az and wait for that second.
Old Jul 10th 2021, 5:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I can tell you that Qld Govt circles are nowhere near as optimistic.
Old Jul 10th 2021, 6:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I can tell you that Qld Govt circles are nowhere near as optimistic.
I think you'll find that NSW will have the final say on this. They have up till now. What they want, ScoMo will make happen. There's a general election next year as well, so they will love to have the borders open before then. Sydney is missing its world city status. Melbourne is missing it's Asian punters, students and property speculators. There's a lot of overseas money to be made up for.

My insider is in the Justice and Corrections system and privy to some fairly high level emails.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jul 10th 2021 at 6:12 am.
Old Jul 10th 2021, 7:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think you'll find that NSW will have the final say on this. They have up till now. What they want, ScoMo will make happen. There's a general election next year as well, so they will love to have the borders open before then. Sydney is missing its world city status. Melbourne is missing it's Asian punters, students and property speculators. There's a lot of overseas money to be made up for.

My insider is in the Justice and Corrections system and privy to some fairly high level emails.
Nah. This crap seems to be decided by National Cabinet these days. However a deal has been done. We will agree to inbred Australia's demands for a short period of arrival cuts if you agree to the 4 point plan. I am whole heartedly on the we side, but we should never have agreed to cutting the caps. It does nothing to help the mythical zero count and only applies a lot of stress to a lot of people.

Phase one - 'Pre-vaccination'

This is the stage Australia is in right now, Mr Morrison said.

It involves the implementation of the national vaccination plan.

National cabinet agreed during this phase lockdowns should be used as a last resort and the trials of alternative quarantine options would start.

The commonwealth's existing Medicare vaccination certificate, used to determine who has been inoculated, will become easier to access through electronic devices such as phones.

There will also be a further review conducted into the national hotel quarantine network.

Phase two - 'Post-vaccination'

Then, Mr Morrison said, "we will move into a phase where we seek to minimise serious illness, hospitalisation and fatality as a result of COVID-19".

This would likely see more restrictions eased, with lockdowns only occurring in "extreme circumstances" to prevent "escalating hospitalisation and fatality".

Inbound passenger caps would be restored to previous levels for unvaccinated returning travellers. Larger caps would be put in place for those who are vaccinated.

New quarantine arrangements would be extended for vaccinated Australians, based on the trials held in the first phase.

National cabinet agreed to cap entry of student and economic visa holders at this point, subject to quarantine availability.

Phase three - 'Consolidation'

The aim of this phase is to manage COVID-19 in line with public responses to other infectious diseases such as the flu.

That would mean "no lockdowns", Mr Morirson said, and hospitalisation and fatality rates from COVID-19 would be similar to other well-controlled infections.

It would also see a lifting of restrictions on outbound travel for vaccinated people and extending unrestricted travel bubbles for other countries.

An increased cap allowing the entry of student economic and humanitarian visa holders would also be introduced.

Phase four - 'Back to normal'

The final phase would see an attempt to return the country to a pre-COVID normal, including allowing uncapped inbound travel for all vaccinated people without quarantine.

It would also allow uncapped arrivals of non-vaccinated travel, subject to pre-flight and on arrival COVID-19 testing.

"We get this done Australia, and you can see what is on the other side," Mr Morrison said.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.