Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Old Jul 7th 2020, 10:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by Beoz
Anyone who has a job is essential as the saying goes. My wife spends an extraordinary amount of time in tunnels, providing a new service to the population travelling to work on new metros. Is that not essential. No PPE or much air extraction down there. Life goes on

Think bigger picture. Is that you, wife, 2 kids? So what. What about the hundreds of thousands who work in the travel industry who won't be able to put food on the table in a year?
there's that so what again, let's hope none of your family end up on ventilators eh?
Old Jul 7th 2020, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abner
Something a bit evasive about that job description. Does she actually have contact with the commuting public?

And if she does, is she as sanguine about the risks to her health as you are?
No she builds them. Along with thousands of others who are all in contact with each other all day every day.

If you are headed down a path were you are going to suggest your job is more important than others, think again ....... its not.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 10:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
there's that so what again, let's hope none of your family end up on ventilators eh?
Fingers crossed. ....... no point wondering what could be.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 11:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Fingers crossed. ....... no point wondering what could be.
Yeah but so what if they do yeah? Think of the bigger picture bozo. You're beyond help with comments like that.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 11:04 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Stay polite please guys.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

If you are headed down a path were you are going to suggest your job is more important than others, think again ....... its not.
No, just far riskier, in terms of exposure to COVID-19, than anything you've described you and yours being faced with.

You really are a piece of work, Beoz, in terms of being willing to put (or force) others--like teachers, earlier--into the front lines of exposure to the virus.

All in the cause, apparently, of keeping things going the way they were before, so that the economy might proceed the way it did before.

But that ship has sailed--or rather docked, metaphorically, with the Ruby Princess.

Like it or not, until the pandemic is permanently under control through vaccination, "the economy" is different. Hundreds of thousands of tourism-related jobs *are* likely gone until that control is achieved. Half-measures of infection control will only make things worse, as we're seeing currently in Texas and Florida.

Get over it.

And stop pushing those who never volunteered to be on the front lines of such a crisis to do so for you.

Last edited by abner; Jul 7th 2020 at 11:16 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 12:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No, just far riskier, in terms of exposure to COVID-19, than anything you've described you and yours being faced with.

You really are a piece of work, Beoz, in terms of being willing to put (or force) others--like teachers, earlier--into the front lines of exposure to the virus.

All in the cause, apparently, of keeping things going the way they were before, so that the economy might proceed the way it did before.

But that ship has sailed--or rather docked, metaphorically, with the Ruby Princess.

Like it or not, until the pandemic is permanently under control through vaccination, "the economy" is different. Hundreds of thousands of tourism-related jobs *are* likely gone until that control is achieved. Half-measures of infection control will only make things worse, as we're seeing currently in Texas and Florida.

Get over it.

And stop pushing those who never volunteered to be on the front lines of such a crisis to do so for you.
Public worker on the public purse. My job is always safe. When it suits you, my job is more important. Now who's the price of work. Bingo.

The best part, Melbourne isn't even a Northern Italy, UK, New York, Wuhan, and you still want a pat on the back. Wow. Just wow.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

The best part, Melbourne isn't even a Northern Italy, UK, New York, Wuhan...
Yes, thankfully, Melbourne has been rather better managed than those, despite the recent outbreak.

Would it have made you feel better if it had been worse...?

And who ultimately pays for your wife's job?

Last edited by abner; Jul 8th 2020 at 12:34 am.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 12:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't make me start deleting posts or snipping comments. Keep the personal bitchy comments to yourselves please and thank you.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes, thankfully, Melbourne has been rather better managed than those, despite the recent outbreak.

Would it have made you feel better if it had been worse...?

And who ultimately pays for your wife's job?
The trickle down pays for everyone's jobs. Without an economy, none of us can put food on the table. The public sector has a more of a buffer to work with, but it doesn't last forever.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

The trickle down pays for everyone's jobs.
Ahhh, "the trickle down" pays. Not quite what I remember from my uni studies in Economics, but I'm sure you know better.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 1:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ahhh, "the trickle down" pays. Not quite what I remember from my uni studies in Economics, but I'm sure you know better.
I am glad we saved you from actually saying your job is more important than anyone elses just because you wear PPE.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

I am glad we saved you from actually saying your job is more important than anyone elses just because you wear PPE.
And I'm glad you never actually admitted you murdered your next-door neighbour.

Moneypenny, feel free to snip both posts as required...
Old Jul 8th 2020, 1:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The trickle down pays for everyone's jobs. Without an economy, none of us can put food on the table. The public sector has a more of a buffer to work with, but it doesn't last forever.
Anyone who thinks public sector jobs are protected and safe these days needs to wake up. We are flat out at work at present coordinating and reporting on the whole COVID-19 issue, yet all our jobs are currently under threat,

On a personal level I am immensely grateful that I still have a job, especially as the only time I leave the flat now is to go to work, and the only people I see are my co-workers.
I also feel incredibly guilty for being so lucky while millions are losing their jobs, and that guilt is dragging me even further down a black hole. Although my future has gone down the tubes I really do try not to complain about that because I do still have a job - this month.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Anyone who thinks public sector jobs are protected and safe these days needs to wake up. We are flat out at work at present coordinating and reporting on the whole COVID-19 issue, yet all our jobs are currently under threat,

On a personal level I am immensely grateful that I still have a job, especially as the only time I leave the flat now is to go to work, and the only people I see are my co-workers.
I also feel incredibly guilty for being so lucky while millions are losing their jobs, and that guilt is dragging me even further down a black hole. Although my future has gone down the tubes I really do try not to complain about that because I do still have a job - this month.
As I said, public sector jobs have more buffer. It's a fact. Governments have more access to funds and better borrowing power to sustain jobs for longer.

On the flipside you have companies like Virgin, that clearly had no buffer and had enough cash reserves to last a couple of weeks.

I am also glad to have a job and contributing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.