Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Old Jun 28th 2020, 10:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by BEVS

We have 71 people who arrived into NZ who have refused testing. So self centred for what is a momentary discomfort.
If it was down to me, I'd refuse them entry and send them back where they came from at their expense.
Old Jun 28th 2020, 10:22 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It's a South African term for British people - same as Pom, Limey etc
But with a bit more meaning
Old Jun 28th 2020, 10:53 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
If it was down to me, I'd refuse them entry and send them back where they came from at their expense.
They would be NZ citizens and residents. Point of entry is assured.
I'd suggest that at point of exit should be tested...but wait....it is all overplay ...yeah
Old Jun 28th 2020, 1:28 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

They would be NZ citizens and residents. Point of entry is assured.
I'd suggest that at point of exit should be tested...but wait....it is all overplay ...yeah
If they can't follow the rules they can't come in whether they're citizens or residents or not. Not convinced every country is testing the same, I wouldn't be trusting someone else's test.
Old Jun 28th 2020, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

greytroot is an unknown quantity at this point

As we see the light ahead, is there such a thing as getting back to normal?
My worry is that this will not go away.
Old Jun 28th 2020, 6:50 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greytroot
As we see the light ahead, is there such a thing as getting back to normal?
My worry is that this will not go away.
Of course it won't. It'll remain a live virus, like others before it, even if there are vaccines etc

Forget "getting back to normal". Normal no longer exists, gone forever
Old Jun 28th 2020, 9:48 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

If they can't follow the rules they can't come in whether they're citizens or residents or not. Not convinced every country is testing the same, I wouldn't be trusting someone else's test.

True enough. Not sure one can prevent the repatriation of a citizen or perm resident. Best thing is a double lock at the point of entry then. Quarantine, test, test, wait, entry. If no test then prolonged quarantine for a good month or more.
Old Jun 28th 2020, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

If it's a New Zealander and that's their only citizenship where would you put them? Stateless?
Old Jun 29th 2020, 2:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beoz
If it's a New Zealander and that's their only citizenship where would you put them? Stateless?
Maybe ?

Old Jun 29th 2020, 10:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Beoz
Where have they been for however long they've been away?
Old Jun 29th 2020, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Where have they been for however long they've been away?
They may have run the course of their visa restrictions where ever they were prior. It would be a very usual for a country to refuse it's own citizen entry. They could be bouncing back and forth on aeroplanes if both countries refused admission.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bournemouth Beach - WTF!!!

I do not know what a Soutie is. Bmth though is my home town and I have seen and witnessed crowded scenes in Bmth Bay before. The problem seems to be the overall lack of respect and self respect some people showed plus that the facilities and roading was unable to deal with this amount of people. That is also not new. It has been a growing problem for decades. Too many people on too small a land mass.

From what is being related to me , it wasn't only Bmth beach. Other beaches and open spaces got the crowd hit also. Bmth often gets chosen for photo shots of this nature because of the way the bay is as the cliffs rise to both sides from Bmth pier.

Unfortunately the COVID19 message from the UK top has been wishy washy, mixed and muddled throughout, with no real set firm rules. The nation was told it was coming out of hibernation and come out on the hottest day it certainly did. It has been told restrictions are lessening so many of the nation, it seems, felt all was A OK despite that the country really isn't on top of this virus and community spread.

Oh well. I am glad I am not in the UK with its chaos or Bmth. I love my home town and county but something for the country as a whole doesn't smell healthy .
Soutie simply means salty. The term in Afrikaans is regarded as uncouth. It refers to those of English heritage not really belonging in South Africa. Literary it means a one foot in South Africa and other in England. Meanwhile' the balls' are halfway between countries in the sea. Hence the term salty. A fairly common in the day saying .

We were supposed to be staying by Bournemouth Beach in less than three weeks now all canceled. If the beach scenes were to be anything like witnessed on the media recently, then somewhat glad not going. A crying shame about the rest of the trip though.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 5:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It's a South African term for British people - same as Pom, Limey etc
Well no it isn't the same. It more refers to those of English ethnicity, living in South Africa, regardless if born there or not. I don't think you are a Pom if born in OZ. Or a Limey if born in America.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 11:27 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Well no it isn't the same. It more refers to those of English ethnicity, living in South Africa, regardless if born there or not. I don't think you are a Pom if born in OZ. Or a Limey if born in America.
Nope. It can be used in the context you stated but is also used the way I wrote it

Please do not attempt to lecture me on the vernacular of my homeland
Old Jul 6th 2020, 3:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Another r&r in Perth next week been asked if I'm OK to stay till September. Someone's gotta do it i suppose, that brings me tantalisingly close to 6 months so I might try buying it to the 18th of September. This is becoming surreal it was a 5 day shut in march

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.