Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Old Mar 24th 2020, 5:30 am
  #76  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 2,900
carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
No. The government is taking advice from the many medical officers. It would be helpful for all if you stuck to the facts.

What do you mean its not medically debatable? The government medical officers say schools should remain open - Brendan Murphy is heading up a cast of them. If their advice is incorrect then please show the evidence. Fear mongering is dangerous. I am more than happy to see contrary evidence. We need to know if our medical officers are incorrect.

I see Normanhurst Public School has 2 sick teachers. This could be the evidence to close down schools to it be proven the teachers got it from kids or kids passed it to teachers. Again the reports do not say.

Yes I mentioned we need to be a little patient with the online learning - its all new for everyone.
Beoz, I agree with you that a national approach is too much (and, by the way, I do not work in child care centres).

But at this point - I will just go with what's happened in Western Australia - the head of the AMA's WA branch says to close the schools. 10 prominent surgeons at a private hospital published a letter saying to close them, to go with a separate one that was sent to McGowan that was signed by 50. The head of the nurse's union says to close them. Etc etc etc. Plus the vast majority of other western countries have closed them and that was on their medical advice. So it is certainly not clear that "medical advice" says to keep them open. There are huge numbers of well-educated medical professionals who are saying the opposite and dissenting.

So, OK. Let's publish it - Brendan Murphy's medical advice (not medical advice in general as just highlighted, it's contested) says to keep them open. OK, why are all these other medical professionals wrong? This is not the time for a "just trust me" moment, when his thesis is being hotly contested by credible people. Scott Morrison said himself that schools needed to stay open to stop kids from spreading it in shopping centres! How in the world then is that OK for teachers, school staff, and other students?

It's not transmissible between children? Or between staff and children? Or whatever? How did those two teachers you alluded to get it in NSW? Certainly possible they got it elsewhere, and then one came into the school and gave it to the other teacher. But we don't know, and that's the problem - and it doesn't pass the "pub test" to say gatherings everywhere should be banned and/or subject to social distancing but not in schools, and part of why the message hasn't set home to many Australians is partly because the messaging is inconsistent and doesn't pass the pub test.

As for why you still have to pay child centre fees, you need to call and ask them what it is for. Generally speaking in education 80% of the cost base is on salaries but I have no idea what would be happen in a private child care centre. I would think if you are not paying for a yearly educational program, you would be entitled to walk.
carcajou is offline  
Old Mar 24th 2020, 5:31 am
  #77  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 2,900
carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

I also think - you have your view and I have mine, and this isn't the thread to gum up with a back and forth on it. Good luck. If you do get a refund from your child care centre please post about it as it will be useful information for others.
carcajou is offline  
Old Mar 24th 2020, 6:56 am
  #78  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,165
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by carcajou View Post
I also think - you have your view and I have mine, and this isn't the thread to gum up with a back and forth on it. Good luck. If you do get a refund from your child care centre please post about it as it will be useful information for others.
Child Care is still going. I was more interested in the poster who was looking at zero hours and how the payments the child care centre gets from parents and government could not support the staff.
Beoz is offline  
Old Mar 24th 2020, 7:00 am
  #79  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,165
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by carcajou View Post
Beoz, I agree with you that a national approach is too much (and, by the way, I do not work in child care centres).

But at this point - I will just go with what's happened in Western Australia - the head of the AMA's WA branch says to close the schools. 10 prominent surgeons at a private hospital published a letter saying to close them, to go with a separate one that was sent to McGowan that was signed by 50. The head of the nurse's union says to close them. Etc etc etc. Plus the vast majority of other western countries have closed them and that was on their medical advice. So it is certainly not clear that "medical advice" says to keep them open. There are huge numbers of well-educated medical professionals who are saying the opposite and dissenting.

So, OK. Let's publish it - Brendan Murphy's medical advice (not medical advice in general as just highlighted, it's contested) says to keep them open. OK, why are all these other medical professionals wrong? This is not the time for a "just trust me" moment, when his thesis is being hotly contested by credible people. Scott Morrison said himself that schools needed to stay open to stop kids from spreading it in shopping centres! How in the world then is that OK for teachers, school staff, and other students?

It's not transmissible between children? Or between staff and children? Or whatever? How did those two teachers you alluded to get it in NSW? Certainly possible they got it elsewhere, and then one came into the school and gave it to the other teacher. But we don't know, and that's the problem - and it doesn't pass the "pub test" to say gatherings everywhere should be banned and/or subject to social distancing but not in schools, and part of why the message hasn't set home to many Australians is partly because the messaging is inconsistent and doesn't pass the pub test.

As for why you still have to pay child centre fees, you need to call and ask them what it is for. Generally speaking in education 80% of the cost base is on salaries but I have no idea what would be happen in a private child care centre. I would think if you are not paying for a yearly educational program, you would be entitled to walk.
"How did those two teachers you alluded to get it in NSW?" As I mentioned, the reports didn't say - for all I know they probably sniffed with the same $5 dollar note at the Jimmy Niggle wedding.

Its not a one man show for Brendan Murphy. Its a committee of medical officers who make these decisions and they guide the governments decisions.
Beoz is offline  
Old Mar 24th 2020, 9:26 am
  #80  
Frequent Flyer Member
 
bcworld's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 10,978
bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

The same government that OK'ed everyone to get off the Ruby Princess?
bcworld is offline  
Old Mar 24th 2020, 11:46 am
  #81  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 87
Dmorgan07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
Child Care is still going. I was more interested in the poster who was looking at zero hours and how the payments the child care centre gets from parents and government could not support the staff.
Firstly, I'm not trying to rattle anyone or offend anyone- we are all in this horrible situation together. I was just offering my perspective on a thread entitled 'Coronavirus- how's everyone doing?'
With regards to evidence I have of children spreading the coronavirus, I'm not suggesting they are but the basic premise of limiting the virus is simple- if you don't go out you can't get it nor give it to anyone else. Children are prolific spreaders of everything- head lice, worms. Young children do not understand the need for coughing or sneezing etiquette, I get coughed at in the face all day every day. Some parents do not care if their child is sick, they take them into the centre after vomiting all night and tell you they have given them a bit of panadol because they have a bit of a temp.
A centre can only claim childcare subsidy from the government for that child if they attend. Most children are being kept at home or have been unenrolled and so they do not get paid. I agree with you, if I was still paying fees and they close down I would be angry too. I don't know what the owner of my centre is doing with all the money all I know is that centres work on ratios, the lower the number of children the less staff you need and that is why it is slowly but surely closing down- there is simply not enough children to staff ratio.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 24th 2020 at 12:04 pm. Reason: Cocked up quote
Dmorgan07 is offline  
Old Mar 24th 2020, 12:41 pm
  #82  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,165
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by bcworld View Post
The same government that OK'ed everyone to get off the Ruby Princess?
Yep same rules for boats as there are planes. Can in coming travellers be trusted to self isolate? ...... of course not. ...... We are being a bit soft. They should be put up in hotels for 2 weeks.
Beoz is offline  
Old Mar 24th 2020, 1:07 pm
  #83  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,165
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by Dmorgan07 View Post
With regards to evidence I have of children spreading the coronavirus, I'm not suggesting they are but the basic premise of limiting the virus is simple- if you don't go out you can't get it nor give it to anyone else. Children are prolific spreaders of everything- head lice, worms. Young children do not understand the need for coughing or sneezing etiquette, I get coughed at in the face all day every day. Some parents do not care if their child is sick, they take them into the centre after vomiting all night and tell you they have given them a bit of panadol because they have a bit of a temp.
.
The medical experts are suggesting children are not prolific spreaders of COVID 19 as they are for head lice and worms. There is no evidence that I can see anywhere in the world that children have been prolific spreaders. Yes of course, other countries have shut schools but even before then, there is no evidence of such a thing happening in schools. Plenty of adult to adult examples like this one in Europe. A real shame. The Kitzloch is an awesome bar.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/24/e...ntl/index.html

Schools were open then, why wasn't there a mass outbreak in these countries?

More to the point, we have the option to shut everything down now and as the theory goes, the sooner you shut, the sooner you finish. We seem to be going for the long haul approach.
Beoz is offline  
Old Mar 24th 2020, 1:31 pm
  #84  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 87
Dmorgan07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
The medical experts are suggesting children are not prolific spreaders of COVID 19 as they are for head lice and worms. There is no evidence that I can see anywhere in the world that children have been prolific spreaders. Yes of course, other countries have shut schools but even before then, there is no evidence of such a thing happening in schools. Plenty of adult to adult examples like this one in Europe. A real shame. The Kitzloch is an awesome bar.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/24/e...ntl/index.html

Schools were open then, why wasn't there a mass outbreak in these countries?

More to the point, we have the option to shut everything down now and as the theory goes, the sooner you shut, the sooner you finish. We seem to be going for the long haul approach.
I respect your point of view, just disagree with it It will all get sorted one way or another. I was feeling more emotional about it yesterday after seeing so many of my colleagues and friends lose their jobs, and parents pulling children out because they had lost their jobs also. It's only going to get tougher- wishing everyone well.
Dmorgan07 is offline  
Old Mar 24th 2020, 4:24 pm
  #85  
Crazy Cat Lady
 
moneypenny20's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 65,044
moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
More to the point, we have the option to shut everything down now and as the theory goes, the sooner you shut, the sooner you finish. We seem to be going for the long haul approach.
This is the issue. We have seen other countries going step by step as though they think it's not going to affect them as it has in Italy or China. Then in a day or so they realise that they need to go further, and then further until oh **** another Italy. Why are we following like sheep? Yes the public may need drip feeding to a certain extent but on the other hand strong rules in the first place people would suck it up. People being told to social distance means they think it means going to the beach or have parties at home. Don't cross the border unless it's for work or medical issues. Why should they be able to cross and we can't when we want to see Byron? Why are planes still landing from overseas? Why are planes still flying interstate? Why are beauty parlours closed from midnight but hairdressers open? It's all just plain stupid. Shut the country up, stop movement and stop pussyfooting about. However that would mean Morrison finding a backbone.
moneypenny20 is offline  
Old Mar 24th 2020, 9:10 pm
  #86  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,165
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
This is the issue. We have seen other countries going step by step as though they think it's not going to affect them as it has in Italy or China. Then in a day or so they realise that they need to go further, and then further until oh **** another Italy. Why are we following like sheep? Yes the public may need drip feeding to a certain extent but on the other hand strong rules in the first place people would suck it up. People being told to social distance means they think it means going to the beach or have parties at home. Don't cross the border unless it's for work or medical issues. Why should they be able to cross and we can't when we want to see Byron? Why are planes still landing from overseas? Why are planes still flying interstate? Why are beauty parlours closed from midnight but hairdressers open? It's all just plain stupid. Shut the country up, stop movement and stop pussyfooting about. However that would mean Morrison finding a backbone.
Yep. I am sure these decisions are not easy for the national cabinet and the advising medics. Let's be clear, this isn't a one man show making these calls just because you don't see the full cast paraded in front of the cameras.
Beoz is offline  
Old Mar 24th 2020, 9:56 pm
  #87  
Frequent Flyer Member
 
bcworld's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 10,978
bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
Yep same rules for boats as there are planes.
Except that's not the case because there is a 30 day ban on cruise ship arrivals in place, put in place prior to it docking. Ruby Princess was granted an exemption. No such ban exists for planes.
bcworld is offline  
Old Mar 24th 2020, 11:15 pm
  #88  
idealist
 
stevenglish1's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 6,312
stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Of the 200 odd New cases yesterday in nsw one was 7 years old, another was 7 months. Anyone still think kids can't contract it and transmit it?

Last edited by stevenglish1; Mar 24th 2020 at 11:17 pm.
stevenglish1 is offline  
Old Mar 24th 2020, 11:55 pm
  #89  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,165
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by bcworld View Post
Except that's not the case because there is a 30 day ban on cruise ship arrivals in place, put in place prior to it docking. Ruby Princess was granted an exemption. No such ban exists for planes.
Yeah but for the people the same rules apply as planes.

There's the tale of the guy who got off the ship, travelled on the light rail to Central, got a train to the Central Coast, picked up his car, then drove to Tamworth and is now isolated in hospital. That's 1 of 2700 cruising through busy areas.

No wonder the cases are so high in Sydney.
Beoz is offline  
Old Mar 24th 2020, 11:55 pm
  #90  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,165
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 View Post
Of the 200 odd New cases yesterday in nsw one was 7 years old, another was 7 months. Anyone still think kids can't contract it and transmit it?
Not sure. Have these kids transmitted it?
Beoz is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.