Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Old May 4th 2020, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Retirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
My nephew in the UK has COVID 19.

He's young and no serious issues, so he should be okay I hope. He currently has pneumonia caused by the virus so my worry is that he'll pass it to his dad, my brother.

He has dangerously high blood pressure and is on blood pressure medication and that put's him in a higher risk group. Plus he's a smoker

Worrying times
Perfect time to give up smoking
Old May 4th 2020, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

He's young and no serious issues, so he should be okay I hope. He currently has pneumonia caused by the virus so my worry is that he'll pass it to his dad, my brother.

He has dangerously high blood pressure and is on blood pressure medication and that put's him in a higher risk group. Plus he's a smoker

Worrying times
Very sorry to hear this. Good luck to you and the family.
Old May 4th 2020, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Sanny has returned to the shelves at my local, though still being rationed to one bottle per customer.
Old May 4th 2020, 12:09 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Today was my first week back in the office after 5 weeks of Wuhan flu isolation. It hurt. The drive in was great, not as busy as usual but not that quiet either. Coming home the same

I think companies are just quietly getting back to normal seeing as our government is being too cautious
Old May 4th 2020, 11:12 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Worrying times
Hopefully he's okay, Sparkles. It's all just the worry, isn't it?

My uncle's sister (uncle through marriage) was in a nursing home in the NE where there was a serious outbreak, she died on the 21st April, can't have the funeral until the 15th May (whatever kind of funeral is possible in the UK by then). It's affected me more than I can say, and I didn't even know the woman. But it's only a short hop and a skip to my Mam and then my Dad, so it all just increases the stress when there's nothing you can do. Fortunately(?) my uncle has heart problems and diabetes so he hadn't been going to visit her (or my Mam for that matter), so at least there's some element of separation there.
Old May 4th 2020, 11:37 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Hopefully he's okay, Sparkles. It's all just the worry, isn't it?

My uncle's sister (uncle through marriage) was in a nursing home in the NE where there was a serious outbreak, she died on the 21st April, can't have the funeral until the 15th May (whatever kind of funeral is possible in the UK by then). It's affected me more than I can say, and I didn't even know the woman. But it's only a short hop and a skip to my Mam and then my Dad, so it all just increases the stress when there's nothing you can do. Fortunately(?) my uncle has heart problems and diabetes so he hadn't been going to visit her (or my Mam for that matter), so at least there's some element of separation there.
Definitely added worry that's not needed.

My oldest son is closest to my nephew, but he has been staying away so should be okay. But that also means less updates which just adds to the worry. I'm sorry to hear about your uncle's sister Dreamy - it's surprising how these things affect us sometimes even when we're not close. Take care of yourself xx

Thanks to all others expressing support.
My mum died of lung cancer last year, and my brother was there every day. If that couldn't persuade him to give up smoking Retirednow, I'm not sure this will unfortunately
Old May 6th 2020, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Called in to one of the usually very busy local diners for breakfast on Friday - usually open by 5 to capture the trucker traffic - and asked for scrambled eggs and was told no. Had to be poached or fried. Thought that was weird and cancelled.

Same place this morning. Asked for the scrambled eggs and again was told no. I decided to settle for poached. When I arrived to pick up the order, I asked what the problem was with scrambled eggs. Was told that with scrambled eggs, they don't do it to order - they usually make a big batch all at once and then just spoon it out as people order - but business has been so terrible that they can't sell enough scrambled eggs to justify making the batch.
Old May 6th 2020, 11:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Called in to one of the usually very busy local diners for breakfast on Friday - usually open by 5 to capture the trucker traffic - and asked for scrambled eggs and was told no. Had to be poached or fried. Thought that was weird and cancelled.

Same place this morning. Asked for the scrambled eggs and again was told no. I decided to settle for poached. When I arrived to pick up the order, I asked what the problem was with scrambled eggs. Was told that with scrambled eggs, they usually make a big batch all at once and then just spoon it out as people order - but business has been so terrible that they can't sell enough scrambled eggs to justify making the batch.
Wtf? It takes about a minute, two at the most to make scrambled eggs. Certainly quicker than poaching. What a crock.
Old May 6th 2020, 12:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Wtf? It takes about a minute, two at the most to make scrambled eggs. Certainly quicker than poaching. What a crock.
Yeah too right. Even for a shortcut you can give the beating a miss. Throw all eggs and butter straight into a pan on low heat, start mixing but don't over do it. It's nice to have a few yokey streaks, throw in a bit of milk, turn heat off and finish off with a bit of parsley and pepper. That takes about 1 minute at best.
Old May 6th 2020, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

Dmorgan07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Same place this morning. Asked for the scrambled eggs and again was told no. I decided to settle for poached. When I arrived to pick up the order, I asked what the problem was with scrambled eggs. Was told that with scrambled eggs, they don't do it to order - they usually make a big batch all at once and then just spoon it out as people order - but business has been so terrible that they can't sell enough scrambled eggs to justify making the batch.
Restrictions on scrambled eggs now? Covid-19 strikes again- will it never end?
Old May 6th 2020, 11:28 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

There are some foods that do not lend themselves to being taken away. Xiao long bao sadly appears to be one of them, scrambled eggs definitely another.
Old May 7th 2020, 3:05 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kooky.
There are some foods that do not lend themselves to being taken away. Xiao long bao sadly appears to be one of them, scrambled eggs definitely another.
I don't think I've come across those before but they look delish. The nearest I know to those are char siew bao, but xiao long bao looks more like a soupy dumpling.

...Feeling hungry now.

Old May 7th 2020, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

I agree with the sentiments here on the eggs, but in small town WA everyone knows everyone and my ability to argue is limited. Several people I work with are close friends with the owner and if I make a big deal of it, word will get around and it will end up reflecting poorly on me and not the shop. So I will just have to sacrifice my scrambled eggs for poached the one day a week I stop there, until the situation improves.
Old May 7th 2020, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Dmorgan07 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with the sentiments here on the eggs, but in small town WA everyone knows everyone and my ability to argue is limited. Several people I work with are close friends with the owner and if I make a big deal of it, word will get around and it will end up reflecting poorly on me and not the shop. So I will just have to sacrifice my scrambled eggs for poached the one day a week I stop there, until the situation improves.
Honestly I think you may have dodged a bullet. A big tub of scrambled eggs that's been sitting there all morning doesn't sound delightful- at least poached/fried is fresh? 🤢
Old May 7th 2020, 2:43 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Worrying times
Sparkles, I'm really sorry to read that your nephew has the virus. What a huge worry for your family, please let us know how he's going when you can.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.