Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Old Mar 21st 2020, 11:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Thanks. Now she's got over the initial panic and off loaded to her mother she's good again. Now I've got over the initial panic and off loaded to friends I'm good again. The three month ban on evictions was a huge relief. I did ask if she wanted to hop on a flight home and see it out here but there's no real point and no where for her to self isolate after the flight. She's staying put. I could really do with a cuddle from her though. Hey ho shit happens, she's safe and healthy and has a roof over her head, that's all that matters.
I missed your original post MP. Sorry to hear about the position your daughter finds herself in. Kids don’t realise that parents worry more about their kids than they do themselves. I know how I’ve felt when we have had a couple of issues with our daughter in the last week. Stomach immediately twists and jumps into throat. It must be extremely hard for you with your daughter being so far away. Hopefully she can stay where she is and that she receives financial help quickly.
Old Mar 21st 2020, 9:30 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone,
I'm just dropping in from Italy because my 19 year old daughter is currently in NSW so of course I am interested in developments there, not just for her but for all of you. Italy, as you no doubt know has really hit the shits and even if Chloe could, I'm not sure she should try to scrabble and scratch her way back to Italy right now and I don't think she physically could by plane or train or boat as we are on TOTAL lockdown. I'm a little worried about her getting stuck there and her visa expiring but I guess there will be thousands like her.
The lockdown here is serious and getting ever more deadly serious with military and drones moving in. I went out of my house today for the first time in 7 days. I went to the chemist to pick up a previously, online ordered, repeat prescription. I was served through a gap in the security bars/grills/window shutters of the chemist's. I'm fine with that and also keeping Chloe's 16 yr old brother locked in, but so many people are still being twats and it's not the teenagers. Who would have ever guessed that a young teen would get sick of Netflix and video gaming but they are at home with some video online school lessons, some worksheets to do and his PE teacher did a video keep fit lesson, bless him doing his best. It's not the teens going out although they are bored shitless now, it's the old biddies used to buying their fresh bread every day, the old man getting his tobacco, the older blokes having their aperitivo and a game of cards whilst wifey is making dinner. They are the ones still out. I went to the village Co-Op supermarket and heard an older lady being asked not to come back again so soon. "But I am allowed out to buy food" she screamed, "it's a necessity. Even the new law says that." The Co-Op director patiently explained that yes, we are allowed to buy food. We are not allowed to walk about to the shops every sodding day for 2 slices of ham. Get in. Shop big. Get out and stay the **** at home. I live in a smallish place at the foothills of some very big mountains. Supermarkets in bigger towns and cities have security outside now, not to limit what we buy but just to limit the number of people inside so we all stay away from each other. I sneezed. I was buying washing machine stuff. The powders in the air and the perfumes always make me sneeze. Once upon a time nobody gave a ******* **** if I sneezed or not. Now? Now they all stare from above their masks like they want to lynch me. One little old lady in full mask, gloves and **** knows what she was wrapped up in put her veg in my basket. With a kind and "we're all in this together" smile I told her that she'd used the wrong basket. "Shusssshshshshshshsh" she hissed at me putting her fingers on her lips like a nursery school teacher. "Signora - it's not forbidden to speak!" I said.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 1:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Hello everyone,
I'm just dropping in from Italy because my 19 year old daughter is currently in NSW so of course I am interested in developments there, not just for her but for all of you. Italy, as you no doubt know has really hit the shits and even if Chloe could, I'm not sure she should try to scrabble and scratch her way back to Italy right now and I don't think she physically could by plane or train or boat as we are on TOTAL lockdown. I'm a little worried about her getting stuck there and her visa expiring but I guess there will be thousands like her.
Do not worry about the visa. She can't get home and as you say there will be thousands like her when we go into lock down and it will happen. It just pisses me off that it hasn't happened yet. It's just really hard to be separated from loved ones, especially our kids when no one has any clue as to how long this nightmare may last. Big cyber hug - the only ones I'm prepared to give!
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute

Unsure as to why we haven't gone into lockdown yet, especially with the dramatic increase of cases in NSW. I have read this morning that SA are considering closing their borders. Not sure what that means for those with FIFO partners.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Things are fast-moving.

1. New South Wales and Victoria will push for complete lockdowns at tonight's emergency cabinet meeting.
2. All schools closed in Victoria from Tuesday. The Courier-Mail reports that if Morrison tries to override that, Andrews will ignore it and shut them anyway.
3. Queensland asking people not to leave their neighbourhoods - the Queensland Government is particularly worried about the situation on the Gold Coast.
4. I have not heard/read anything about South Australia closing the border, but as the NT and Tasmania already have, it would not surprise me.
5. Western Australia seems to be waiting to see what everyone else does.

Last edited by carcajou; Mar 22nd 2020 at 1:58 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Things are fast-moving.

1. New South Wales and Victoria will push for complete lockdowns at tonight's emergency cabinet meeting.
2. All schools closed in Victoria from Tuesday. The Courier-Mail reports that if Morrison tries to override that, Andrews will ignore it and shut them anyway.
3. Queensland asking people not to leave their neighbourhoods - the Queensland Government is particularly worried about the situation on the Gold Coast.
4. I have not heard/read anything about South Australia closing the border, but as the NT and Tasmania already have, it would not surprise me.
5. Western Australia seems to be waiting to see what everyone else does.
I love number 5 haha, made me giggle
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

On a different note, following Morrison's directive this morning to cancel all domestic travel, I just cancelled a northern holiday this morning. Two of the hotels I was going to be staying at were non-refundable (and one was pre-paid) - but both immediately waived the cancellation fees (one cancelled without penalty, the other immediately refunded me).
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 2:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Currently good, but with lots of things going wrong (this just being one of them), I'm thinking 2020 is cursed. Anyone think the supermarkets are beginning to resemble Soviet stores of the 1980s?
s/
One of the biggest complaints on these forums back in 2003-4!!! ;-)
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Premier Stephen Marshall announces that South Australia closes the border from Tuesday.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Further, the news is reporting an outbreak has emerged among Bondi backpackers and clusters have been traced back to two weekend parties at Bondi.

Guess who wasn't social distancing at the beach on Friday . . .
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 3:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

We subscribe to Who Gives a crap and get more rolls than we ever need... (indeed I often complained of the
100 or more rolls...)

The Chief of Staff suspended our account about a month ago...

They have sent us an email as clients saying they were going to send us a box, if we were interested.

We have 80 rolls anyhow in bits and pieces which surprised me, (but my wife gets given them through her work); so assuming this delivery gets to us we will start giving some away...
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 6:50 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Premier Stephen Marshall announces that South Australia closes the border from Tuesday.
Only they are actually now saying that anyone that cross the border from now has to self-isolate for 14 days - so it's not really Tuesday excepting that that is how long till they can get people to the road junctions. I know because someone who works for me was flying back from Melbourne late afternoon.

I get the feeling the state premiers are panicking and trying to out do each other ahead of this meeting this evening - fait accompli style.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 6:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Only they are actually now saying that anyone that cross the border from now has to self-isolate for 14 days - so it's not really Tuesday excepting that that is how long till they can get people to the road junctions. I know because someone who works for me was flying back from Melbourne late afternoon.

I get the feeling the state premiers are panicking and trying to out do each other ahead of this meeting this evening - fait accompli style.
WA and Victoria Tuesday as well.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Story from the Adelaide Advertiser:

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...e9eefe67410f50
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
WA and Victoria Tuesday as well.
Events are moving so fast it's hard to keep up.

I also sense, some premiers were frustrated and moved to take things out of Morrison's hands. Making big media announcements before the meeting kind of cuts the legs out from under him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.