Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Old Apr 6th 2020, 9:03 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Is Jacinda Ardern's Victoria a joke of some kind?
I think it's the same old, same old Barbie MO...she's Labour, Victoria's Labor ergo there's some point to be made.
Old Apr 6th 2020, 9:35 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

This has now happened in the UK and daughter has just had an email saying Woolies are introducing limiting customers in store from Wednesday so we're getting there slowly.

We didn't need C19 to expose this. We knew it already.
Woolies and Coles need to up their emphasis on online shopping and thus keep people away from the stores.
Its just daft canning it for the majority. As a non driver, now having to carry shopping home, I have to make 3 or 4 trips a week and interact with other people, rather than one home delivery a month left on my doorstep and no interaction at all.
The introduction of queueing is a worry - my arthritis does not allow me to stand still for more than 20 minutes and all seats have been removed from the shopping centre. I forsee me having to send whole days doing the 40 minute wak there and back so I can eventually end u there when there is no queue!
Old Apr 6th 2020, 9:50 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Woolies and Coles need to up their emphasis on online shopping and thus keep people away from the stores.
Its just daft canning it for the majority. As a non driver, now having to carry shopping home, I have to make 3 or 4 trips a week and interact with other people, rather than one home delivery a month left on my doorstep and no interaction at all.
The introduction of queueing is a worry - my arthritis does not allow me to stand still for more than 20 minutes and all seats have been removed from the shopping centre. I forsee me having to send whole days doing the 40 minute wak there and back so I can eventually end u there when there is no queue!
I think, can't confirm because my expert doesn't know for sure either, that Online has been cut back because they can't fill anyone's orders so it all became too hard! Judging by the online ordering in the UK and US, finding a delivery slot is like looking for the proverbial needle. I tried to order an Easter Egg for my daughter from Waitrose the other day. They had the egg but I couldn't find a delivery slot - I gave up when I went into May! Woolies do do Priority Online and they have just increased the amount they can do every night - you might be able to get on that, I don't know what the criteria is. I don't have a clue on what Coles are doing. We have seats in shopping centres down here, they just have a One Person Only sign on them.
Old Apr 6th 2020, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Croker
By that logic, encouraging everyone to go on a long walk every day would be even better, as walking requires no changes to how it is usually done (unlike golf, where you can’t touch the pin, the pro shop is shut, etc) and isn’t limited to specific places but can take place pretty much anywhere, allowing people to spread out over a much larger area.

But you’re not making that argument, I suspect because this has actually got nothing to do with safety and everything to do with you wanting to carry on playing golf come what may, and not liking that Victoria have prevented this.
I haven't played golf since Xmas 2018, so not a topic I am overly passionate about, but common sense needs to come into play in all situations. Golf is a perfect example where one can apply common sense. The beach is not an option, even though logic says that social distancing can be applied, where in fact it can't be in the other infrastructure and facilities surrounding the beach - quite simply - nice weather, the beach will draw the crowd it and the other facilities, and we don't want crowds.

I suppose you heard about the learner driver in Victoria that got stung with the $1600 fine which in turn forced the NSW police to issue a statement stating that Learning to Drive is all part of education and permitted. Again common sense prevailing. On top of that, with so many out of work a driving job can be the next occupation for man if they don't currently have a license.

This is all Daniel Andrews, he is the one around the National Cabinet being the bully boy, which is not a bad thing. You have to have someone at the extreme so the others can pull them into line.

Old Apr 6th 2020, 10:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

By that logic, encouraging everyone to go on a long walk every day would be even better, as walking requires no changes to how it is usually done (unlike golf, where you can’t touch the pin, the pro shop is shut, etc) and isn’t limited to specific places but can take place pretty much anywhere, allowing people to spread out over a much larger area.

But you’re not making that argument, I suspect because this has actually got nothing to do with safety and everything to do with you wanting to carry on playing golf come what may, and not liking that Victoria have prevented this.
this is an inconvenience to him, he seems to want to maintain his own lifestyle at everyone else's risk, and then call them selfish for not wanting to.
Old Apr 6th 2020, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Croker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I played last week and I didn't go near a single person.
Right...

I haven't played golf since Xmas 2018, so not a topic I am overly passionate about
...nor are you passionate about consistency in your arguments, apparently!

This is all Daniel Andrews, he is the one around the National Cabinet being the bully boy, which is not a bad thing. You have to have someone at the extreme so the others can pull them into line.
“This is all Beoz, hanging around this thread to badmouth Daniel Andrews at any cost.”
Old Apr 6th 2020, 10:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
What is this please? I don't get it in terms of the New Zealand lockdown.
As I am in New Zealand living with the lockdown here I can maybe help make the intent clear - and it is quite clear & it is very very simple.

Also why do you wish to be derogatory about her name? I don't get that either.
Exactly, why is New Zealand in total lockdown? Are you hoping to stamp it out completely in 4 weeks? Never going to happen. What happens then? Do you go into total lockdown for another 4 weeks? Then another? How do you kick start New Zealand after this with a total lockdown, especially when New Zealand's entire economy is reliant on globalisation? Wouldn't it be better for New Zealand with its low rate of cases and infection, play a longer game, making it easier for society to cope, reducing stress, mental illness, job losses, and have a little engine running along? It all seems a bit over cooked for me in NZ right now. NZ is not Italy, UK, US. Shouldn't it adopt an approach specific to New Zealand's own circumstances and adapt to what unfolds?
Old Apr 6th 2020, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Right...

...nor are you passionate about consistency in your arguments, apparently!
Go on. Point out the inconsistencies. The only inconsistency is with a leader who says its fine to jog through the streets huffing an puffing droplets of potentially (yet unlikely) COVID19 contaminated saliva yet a stroll around a golf course where the 2 person rule applies is no go.

I haven't brushed up on the rules in Victoria. In NSW its acceptable to be on the move for educational purposes. Is it the same in Victoria and if so why should a learner driver be hit with a $1600 fine?

Are these the inconsistencies you are after?

“This is all Beoz, hanging around this thread to badmouth Daniel Andrews at any cost.”
Not at any cost. But when the guy acts like he does, threatening full lockdown any moment, when the situation at present is under control with the federal guidance, he is a big target.

Edit: I see what you are trying to deviate over. I said "I haven't played golf since Xmas 2018, so not a topic I am overly passionate about" ....... I should have said "I hadn't" ....... I am sure you could have figured that out.

Last edited by Beoz; Apr 6th 2020 at 10:35 am.
Old Apr 6th 2020, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Croker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond repute

Are these the inconsistencies you are after?
Mate, you’re the one who apparently either last played golf two years ago, or no more than seven days ago. Why not address that inconsistency rather than ignoring it and hoping it goes away?

You’re not after a proper debate, you just want to keep beating up on whoever it is you don’t like. Jacinda Ardern, bizarrely, seems to have enraged you out of all proportion to the effect she could possibly have had on your life, given that you live in NSW.

Can’t say I’m that bothered about ploughing through another load of verbiage that fails to counter any of the points put to you, tbh. Maybe I should leave you alone to bark at the moon.
Old Apr 6th 2020, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

Edit: I see what you are trying to deviate over. I said "I haven't played golf since Xmas 2018, so not a topic I am overly passionate about" ....... I should have said "I hadn't" ....... I am sure you could have figured that out.
😂😂😂 Was this before or after the dog ate your homework?
Old Apr 6th 2020, 11:11 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

1.9% growth today
Old Apr 6th 2020, 11:25 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I think, can't confirm because my expert doesn't know for sure either, that Online has been cut back because they can't fill anyone's orders so it all became too hard! Judging by the online ordering in the UK and US, finding a delivery slot is like looking for the proverbial needle. I tried to order an Easter Egg for my daughter from Waitrose the other day. They had the egg but I couldn't find a delivery slot - I gave up when I went into May! Woolies do do Priority Online and they have just increased the amount they can do every night - you might be able to get on that, I don't know what the criteria is. I don't have a clue on what Coles are doing. We have seats in shopping centres down here, they just have a One Person Only sign on them.
Have to be able to show you are registered disabled or elderly to get it online at present - I'm not, Ijust walk very slowly and can't stand for long.
Our shopping centre has removed all seting from the food court area and the free internet terminal area, as well as the odd seats that were scattered around. There is literally nowhere to sit. I saw an old lady in tears last week because she had done her shopping and just wante a sidown before she walked home. Totally stupid move to take every seat away.
Old Apr 6th 2020, 12:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Mate, you’re the one who apparently either last played golf two years ago, or no more than seven days ago. Why not address that inconsistency rather than ignoring it and hoping it goes away?

You’re not after a proper debate, you just want to keep beating up on whoever it is you don’t like. Jacinda Ardern, bizarrely, seems to have enraged you out of all proportion to the effect she could possibly have had on your life, given that you live in NSW.

Can’t say I’m that bothered about ploughing through another load of verbiage that fails to counter any of the points put to you, tbh. Maybe I should leave you alone to bark at the moon.
Are we discussing if golf is ok or not?

Yes, played last week and played at Xmas 2018. They are the last 2 outings. All good with that?

I'd prefer to be having a swim at the beach for exercise. Sadly and rightfully so, beaches are shut, in Sydney at least.
Old Apr 6th 2020, 12:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
1.9% growth today
Should these numbers continue, we may see negatives next week.
Old Apr 6th 2020, 12:55 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Have to be able to show you are registered disabled or elderly to get it online at present - I'm not, Ijust walk very slowly and can't stand for long.
Our shopping centre has removed all seting from the food court area and the free internet terminal area, as well as the odd seats that were scattered around. There is literally nowhere to sit. I saw an old lady in tears last week because she had done her shopping and just wante a sidown before she walked home. Totally stupid move to take every seat away.
Just a thought, not sure if it's possible or if you'd be prepared to do it but could you rent one of those wheelie seat shopping walker things from somewhere, Red Cross maybe? (trying to be helpful here but probably failing) just whilst this is all going on? The idea of struggling to walk or stand for any length of time before you even get into a shop and not wanting to get on public transport is scary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.