Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Old Apr 5th 2020, 11:04 pm
Excessively Diverted

Luthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Today's table
Old Apr 5th 2020, 11:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GarryP
Thing is, people on a beach, well spread out, are less of a risk than people going to Bunnings, or Coles. The aisles force you to pass much closer to others than you would get on a beach. And kids in a school are a great vector between parents who are 'essential workers' but with different organisations.

These are policies put together by people with no firm idea of how to stop transmission.
people don't go to a beach to spread out though, the life guards should put the flags out where the rip is, do a bit of natural selection. Supermarkets could/should be made one way to avoid that sort of thing.
When the lockdown eventually comes which I'm sure it will the horse will have already bolted.
Old Apr 6th 2020, 12:23 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

2-3 weeks

Better than the alternative, which is to, in theory, see this drag on till July/Aug at the earliest. I say in theory, since I don't see it happening in practice. So the real alternative is 500k deaths. Plus riots.

Nonsense
Old Apr 6th 2020, 12:37 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Our delightful Premier has said we can't call it Easter Holidays. It has to be referred to as 'break'. The world 'holiday' encourages people to try and travel whereas 'break' apparently doesn't. Righty ho.
One thing that C19 has exposed - she's no leader that's for sure

McGowan on the other hand has excelled himself
Old Apr 6th 2020, 12:58 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
people don't go to a beach to spread out though, the life guards should put the flags out where the rip is, do a bit of natural selection. Supermarkets could/should be made one way to avoid that sort of thing.
When the lockdown eventually comes which I'm sure it will the horse will have already bolted.
This has now happened in the UK and daughter has just had an email saying Woolies are introducing limiting customers in store from Wednesday so we're getting there slowly.
Originally Posted by Amazulu
One thing that C19 has exposed - she's no leader that's for sure

McGowan on the other hand has excelled himself
We didn't need C19 to expose this. We knew it already.
Old Apr 6th 2020, 1:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Thing is, people on a beach, well spread out, are less of a risk than people going to Bunnings, or Coles. The aisles force you to pass much closer to others than you would get on a beach. And kids in a school are a great vector between parents who are 'essential workers' but with different organisations.

These are policies put together by people with no firm idea of how to stop transmission.
That aren't trying to stop it. They are trying to decrease the amount of new cases. They have always talked about flattening the curve. They want to keep a portion of the economy ticking over. They want people to still do some things, like exercise, like shopping (within reason), like golf (unless you live in Jacinta Ardern's Victoria), they want you to still see your boyfriend or girlfriend (unless you live in Jacinta Ardern's Victoria), and these things are all to maintain a level of mental health, a level of income, a way to kick start life on the other side.

Of course all the above can and will be turned off if the curve starts to head in the wrong direction, and rightfully so.

The beach, yes, logic says the beach is the perfect place to go to maintain a social distance, but the problem is groups of 2 or more are congregating on the beach, the surrounding cafe's, parks, walkways, etc get over populated due to the attraction of the beach. Yesterday my local Bunnings were staggering entry, they were only allowing the store to have a certain number of people in at any one time, therefore a queue (well spaced out) formed in an orderly line which was controlled by staff, maintaining that number in store. The queue moved, it took about 10 minutes to get in the store, but it kept everyone separated inside and out. Not sure how you would keep such order at the beach.

These guidelines are put together with guidance from top medics and a team of experts who include pandemic experts - why do you feel these people have no idea how to control transmissions? The numbers suggest otherwise?

Old Apr 6th 2020, 1:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dmorgan07
Moneypenny, you are located in Gold Coast right?Are you finding everyone is still on the beach? I cant believe it. I live in Coomera so I haven't been going out at all and especially not travelling to the beach, but everyone is telling me they are packed! Something needs to be done.
Yes, southern end. Tate has started closing beaches as from tomorrow night so all the ****wits will move to other beaches and then all beaches will be shut. I am so over morons.
Old Apr 6th 2020, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Indonesia also has a...'nothing to see here' policy...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN21L2XU

Yes. Unfortunately, many West Australians took Indonesia's denials at face value and continued on with their Bali holidays, and as a result Indonesia has been a significant source of overseas infections in the state.
Old Apr 6th 2020, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Western Australia reports seven new cases today. Of the seven, 6 are related to cruise ships and are in Perth. 1 is related to overseas travel and is a health care worker in the Kimberley.
Old Apr 6th 2020, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

Croker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
...like golf (unless you live in Jacinta Ardern's Victoria), they want you to still see your boyfriend or girlfriend (unless you live in Jacinta Ardern's Victoria)...
Two quick points: first off, it's Jacinda Ardern, not Jacinta.

Secondly, Victorians can go and see their boyfriends or girlfriends if they don't live with them. This was confirmed by Victorian Chief Health Officer Professor Brett Sutton last week, when he tweeted that the state "has no desire" to penalise anyone leaving their home to visit their partner or significant other. So yeah, they made a specific exemption for people to see their partners.

Golfers can do without golf for a while, I reckon. It's not the biggest sacrifice that's ever been asked of mankind.

Last edited by Croker; Apr 6th 2020 at 6:34 am. Reason: weird formatting
Old Apr 6th 2020, 6:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Is Jacinda Ardern's Victoria a joke of some kind? If so I'm missing the punchline and it's all going whoosh over my head.
Old Apr 6th 2020, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

Croker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Is Jacinda Ardern's Victoria a joke of some kind? If so I'm missing the punchline and it's all going whoosh over my head.
I assumed it was (albeit a pretty weak one that didn’t stand up to repetition and suffered through the misspelling and factual inaccuracies - in my opinion, of course!)

My assumption was that it was to either be disparaging towards Victoria as it’s perceived to be a left-leaning nanny state (and Jacinda is a well known “lefty”), a reference to the fact that Victoria’s under a restrictive Stage 3 lockdown (and New Zealand is under an even more restrictive Stage 4 lockdown) and disparaging such lockdowns as being unnecessary, or a mixture of both.

I shouldn’t give up the day job for showbiz, were I Beoz, basically 😂
Old Apr 6th 2020, 6:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Croker
Two quick points: first off, it's Jacinda Ardern, not Jacinta.

Secondly, Victorians can go and see their boyfriends or girlfriends if they don't live with them. This was confirmed by Victorian Chief Health Officer Professor Brett Sutton last week, when he tweeted that the state "has no desire" to penalise anyone leaving their home to visit their partner or significant other. So yeah, they made a specific exemption for people to see their partners.

Golfers can do without golf for a while, I reckon. It's not the biggest sacrifice that's ever been asked of mankind.
I will stick with Jacinta

Yep, I appreciate the boyfriend / girlfriend ruling was reversed, maybe Jacinta will reverse it too.

Why do golfers need to go without golf? Its exercise for starters, all courses are abiding by many rules which include no touching the flag and in many cases flags have been taken away all together, no equipment hire, groups of 2 only (which is within the law) and golf courses are not place wheres people congregate like a beach, without the clubhouse open, you are in then out. I played last week and I didn't go near a single person. I didn't have to. The fee was paid online and the pro shop was shut. There was an attendant standing many metres way asking for your name near the first tee.

If you ban golf then cycling needs to go with it and so should jogging - in fact both are worse because the virus is contained in droplets exhaled in great numbers when doing strenuous exercise such as jogging or cycling.

There is no reason to ban golf - only in Victoria. It should be encouraged as a much safer form of exercise than jogging and cycling.

Last edited by Beoz; Apr 6th 2020 at 6:59 am.
Old Apr 6th 2020, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

There is no reason to ban golf - only in Victoria. It should be encouraged as a much safer form of exercise than jogging and cycling.
By that logic, encouraging everyone to go on a long walk every day would be even better, as walking requires no changes to how it is usually done (unlike golf, where you can’t touch the pin, the pro shop is shut, etc) and isn’t limited to specific places but can take place pretty much anywhere, allowing people to spread out over a much larger area.

But you’re not making that argument, I suspect because this has actually got nothing to do with safety and everything to do with you wanting to carry on playing golf come what may, and not liking that Victoria have prevented this.

Old Apr 6th 2020, 7:16 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

...like golf (unless you live in Jacinta Ardern's Victoria), they want you to still see your boyfriend or girlfriend (unless you live in Jacinta Ardern's Victoria)...
Originally Posted by Boez
I will stick with Jacinta
Yep, I appreciate the boyfriend / girlfriend ruling was reversed, maybe Jacinta will reverse it too.
What is this please? I don't get it in terms of the New Zealand lockdown.
As I am in New Zealand living with the lockdown here I can maybe help make the intent clear - and it is quite clear & it is very very simple.

Also why do you wish to be derogatory about her name? I don't get that either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.