Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Old Apr 2nd 2020, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by Dmorgan07
Hopefully parents that aren't working will not be tempted to start venturing out now they don't have children to look after at home. I just don't see how if the advice is "only go out if it is essential- for work, exercise or essential supplies" means people who are now at home anyway can go out to take their kids to kindy?
Depends on your state. In NSW you can definitely leave your home to take your kids to school and child care.

https://preview.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/...-health-orders
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Dmorgan07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beoz
Under a $1.6 billion measure, providers will be paid 50 per cent of their fee revenue up to the existing hourly rate cap based on enrolment levels before the mass exodus of children at the start of March.

To be eligible for the payments, providers must stay open, not charge any fees and prioritise care for children of essential workers, vulnerable and disadvantaged children and those previously enrolled.

According to the PM and essential worker is anyone who has a job. Someone contributing to the economy.

Previously enrolled gets a priority. I guess if the centre becomes full then it's the centre's responsibility to give the priority to a "previously enrolled workers" over a "previously enrolled". Someone who has lost their job should get the placement bump.
That is right, everyone can come back. Good news for parents who are struggling financially to feed family- I know that in the UK a lot of children will go hungry because they have lost out on their free school meal a day not going to school now. Hopefully we can help those families that are in a similar position here.
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Depends on your state. In NSW you can definitely leave your home to take your kids to school and child care.

https://preview.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/...-health-orders
Yes you can here because it is classed as essential travel. What I mean is if you are at home because you have no job, it is not essential that your child attends a kindy like people who need childcare so they can go to work.
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 9:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep. If parents are working they can't cope with a kid under 5 at home. They cannot entertain themselves. Fact of life. Plus the fear factor of Coronavirus in Child Care and Schools is starting to pass. Come Monday when Child Care becomes free you probably find a near full class.
I'm not talking about working parents though. Do you honestly think that parents are keeping their kids away because of the money? That doesn't explain the drop in public school attendance does it? Not everything revolves around the mighty dollar, some people want their kids out of harm's way until it's proven that they're not at risk, and the fact that a 2 month old and a 7 year old are among the infected, means that's decidedly unproven.
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
I'm not talking about working parents though. Do you honestly think that parents are keeping their kids away because of the money? That doesn't explain the drop in public school attendance does it? Not everything revolves around the mighty dollar, some people want their kids out of harm's way until it's proven that they're not at risk, and the fact that a 2 month old and a 7 year old are among the infected, means that's decidedly unproven.
That is the reason we saw a drop in attendance ages ago, before lockdown came into force and people lost their jobs.
How is your wife coping with it all? What does she think about the free child care and centres remaining open? I know that I feel very conflicted about it all- on one hand I'm happy that I'm still working and keeping my family afloat, but on the other hand I feel a level of worry that I may be putting my family at risk (rationally or not) as I would be the most likely person to bring anything home with me.
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

That is right, everyone can come back. Good news for parents who are struggling financially to feed family- I know that in the UK a lot of children will go hungry because they have lost out on their free school meal a day not going to school now. Hopefully we can help those families that are in a similar position here.
Good news for Child care centres too. Good news for child care workers. Good news for everyone who needs an economy. Just not good news for the debt - that one we just need to ignore for now.
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes you can here because it is classed as essential travel. What I mean is if you are at home because you have no job, it is not essential that your child attends a kindy like people who need childcare so they can go to work.
Its only a problem if the child care becomes full, then the centre needs to start looking at priortisng attendees with those with 2 working parents (or 1 if a single parent home) taking the priority.
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
These parents need to take on the advice of the medical professionals rather than fear mongering in their little WhatsApp groups. There may be the odd infection - so what?

There is an alternative though. Mummy takes little Jonny to Coles and little Jonny can't help himself but touch everything in site.

Its all about testing numbers and contact tracing numbers. Coles will blow the contact tracing ability out of the water. Child Care centres will not. In NSW were are hanging on to contact tracing. 300 people where they don't know the source, with over 600 people working on contact tracing. Authorities are very worried about this figure even though the new case number is dropping day by day.

FWIW - just did drop off at Child Care ...... its heaving. The 20% is back and the director said she has been fielding calls all morning about new enrollments. Not about money eh?

Last edited by Beoz; Apr 2nd 2020 at 10:40 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 12:32 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

These parents need to take on the advice of the medical professionals rather than fear mongering in their little WhatsApp groups. There may be the odd infection - so what?

There is an alternative though. Mummy takes little Jonny to Coles and little Jonny can't help himself but touch everything in site.

Its all about testing numbers and contact tracing numbers. Coles will blow the contact tracing ability out of the water. Child Care centres will not. In NSW were are hanging on to contact tracing. 300 people where they don't know the source, with over 600 people working on contact tracing. Authorities are very worried about this figure even though the new case number is dropping day by day.

FWIW - just did drop off at Child Care ...... its heaving. The 20% is back and the director said she has been fielding calls all morning about new enrollments. Not about money eh?
I'd say that some of that will be parents who are over parenting which is something I have never understood. I was one of a few who looked forward to school holidays and hated the countdown to them going back, loved inset/pupil free days. Most friends and playground parents were the other way round.

Old Apr 3rd 2020, 12:53 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

One thing i've discovered during this Chinese 19 fiasco - do not use social media and messaging for info and advice on dealing with it. I've scaled back my use of social media because off all of the nonsense that's on there - often coming from people I like and respect
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 2:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
One thing i've discovered during this Chinese 19 fiasco - do not use social media and messaging for info and advice on dealing with it. I've scaled back my use of social media because off all of the nonsense that's on there - often coming from people I like and respect
In all this there is only a few people to listen to and that is the federal chief medical officer and all the state ones. Their messages are consistent. They may have to change their advice or may even get the odd piece wrong, but they have been bang on so far.
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 2:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I'd say that some of that will be parents who are over parenting which is something I have never understood. I was one of a few who looked forward to school holidays and hated the countdown to them going back, loved inset/pupil free days. Most friends and playground parents were the other way round.
Mrs Beoz loves the school holidays. She works pretty damn hard in school term and looks forward to spending time with the kids. On the flip side kids can be very hard work. Each to their own I guess.
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 2:19 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

In all this there is only a few people to listen to and that is the federal chief medical officer and all the state ones. Their messages are consistent. They may have to change their advice or may even get the odd piece wrong, but they have been bang on so far.
Agree, and if I want to know technical aspects of C19, I stick with Harvard Uni, the CDC, Dept of Health, the NHS. Most of the media just publishes a lot of nonsense
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 3:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

That is the reason we saw a drop in attendance ages ago, before lockdown came into force and people lost their jobs.
How is your wife coping with it all? What does she think about the free child care and centres remaining open? I know that I feel very conflicted about it all- on one hand I'm happy that I'm still working and keeping my family afloat, but on the other hand I feel a level of worry that I may be putting my family at risk (rationally or not) as I would be the most likely person to bring anything home with me.
she's doing ok but she'd have preferreda shut down to a potential influx of potential bundles of infection who they can't distance from

<snip>

Last edited by moneypenny20; Apr 3rd 2020 at 8:56 am. Reason: Stop.
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 5:50 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Children please!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.