Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Old Mar 30th 2020, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by Dmorgan07
It is very scary I agree. I have a good friend at work who is from South Africa in the same boat pretty much. Over here on a temporary visa with her 2 daughters and now is facing the prospect of losing all her income, as we were told the centre will most likely be closing it's doors from the end of the week (that was before the wage subsidy was announced tho) reckon there will be many in the same position. Hopefully the government will do right by the non-perm residents. How is everyone else managing?
Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Had a woman come in to do a trial run at the rehoming centre. English, they've been over here for 14 months on a Temp working visa. Her company closed down last week and she's expecting one more pay cheque. Her husband was being laid off at the end of this week. No money for rent and no way to get out of the country and obviously no way of getting any support from Centrelink. They did have some friends over from WA staying for a couple of weeks who lent them some money for food and she was hoping family and friends in the UK could send them some to tide them over. Wonder how many of them there are in the same situation, very scary.
This doesn't fill me with happy beans my job is listed as an essential service but nothing is ever set in stone right? Especially working in regional SA and the fear the closure of some of the hospitals
Old Mar 30th 2020, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute

MP, just on ABC news they have said visa workers will get help if they have been employed. Not sure on the specifics but maybe something to look into. I'm sure there will be big stipulations to it but sounds a bit less doom and gloom.

Hope you're well and staying safe x
Old Mar 30th 2020, 1:58 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clacfart
MP, just on ABC news they have said visa workers will get help if they have been employed. Not sure on the specifics but maybe something to look into. I'm sure there will be big stipulations to it but sounds a bit less doom and gloom.

Hope you're well and staying safe x
I'll pass that on, fingers crossed it helps everyone in this situation. All good here thanks.

Edit: do you have a link? I can't find mention of it.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Mar 30th 2020 at 2:01 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2020, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Looking more into it, its only visa holders who have been employed 10+ years or have a permanent visa. I was watching ABC news just an hour ago who mentioned visa holders would be entitled to help. Stupidly got a glimmer of hope for those that will suffer. But yes, looking into it those on working visas, skilled visas at the moment is a no

The PM has stated it will be looked into but I won't hold my breath on that. Sorry for my misinformation
Old Mar 30th 2020, 2:49 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clacfart
Looking more into it, its only visa holders who have been employed 10+ years or have a permanent visa. I was watching ABC news just an hour ago who mentioned visa holders would be entitled to help. Stupidly got a glimmer of hope for those that will suffer. But yes, looking into it those on working visas, skilled visas at the moment is a no

The PM has stated it will be looked into but I won't hold my breath on that. Sorry for my misinformation
No problem, grab hold of every sliver of hope and keep fingers crossed.
Old Mar 30th 2020, 3:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got an RDO today, in camp about 15k's outside Newman. We're not allowed off camp other than to work so this is a proper exercise in isolation. I was glad to see someone else on camp as it was all looking a bit 28 days later for the first hour or so. The world and his mother has been ringing or skyping me to see how I'm bearing up, is this what it's like in prison?
Old Mar 30th 2020, 3:08 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
I've got an RDO today, in camp about 15k's outside Newman. We're not allowed off camp other than to work so this is a proper exercise in isolation. I was glad to see someone else on camp as it was all looking a bit 28 days later for the first hour or so. The world and his mother has been ringing or skyping me to see how I'm bearing up, is this what it's like in prison?
Apart from worrying about dropping the soap probably.
Old Mar 30th 2020, 3:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Apart from worrying about dropping the soap probably.
good point 🤣
Old Mar 30th 2020, 4:38 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Moneypenny, saw this article and thought you might be interested, it's about an increase in pet adoptions and fostering.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/rise-in-...irus-isolation
Old Mar 30th 2020, 5:02 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Moneypenny, saw this article and thought you might be interested, it's about an increase in pet adoptions and fostering.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/rise-in-...irus-isolation
Thanks. We're rehoming cats in high numbers at the moment which is good. I've had a couple of families who were planning trips and were going to get a cat afterwards, now the trips are cancelled so they've brought things forward. Fingers crossed most of them don't get surrendered back or dumped once this is all over. We do our best to make sure they're rational, caring humans but some very good actors manage to slip through from time to time sadly.
Old Mar 30th 2020, 5:20 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
is this what it's like in prison?
probably - without the Skype
Old Mar 30th 2020, 5:23 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

9 cases in WA overnight with 17 yesterday (plus 27 death ship passengers which get included in our stats unfortunately), so the curve is definitely flattening at the moment. Only a tiny bit of the transmission here is community sourced. Good news anyway.
Old Mar 30th 2020, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
9 cases in WA overnight with 17 yesterday (plus 27 death ship passengers which get included in our stats unfortunately), so the curve is definitely flattening at the moment. Only a tiny bit of the transmission here is community sourced. Good news anyway.
Yes, and none of the nine were as regional. But as McGowan said - we are sailing into the storm, not out of it, and this is not the time to relax and get complacent.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 12:03 pm
Proudly Deplorable

I'm gonna stick my neck out here a bit, but after much reading and research I reckon C19 is not going to be as bad in Australia as it is in many other countries. We're on a Singapore/South Korea trajectory, not an Italy/Spain/UK/USA one. Our governments, federal and state have overall done a good job at containment. Not perfect but far from what, say, the US has done. I know being geographically isolated has helped (even more so for us in Perth) but apart from cruise ships and international arrivals, the spread has been small. Not out of the woods yet but getting there

But then again WTF do I know!
Old Mar 31st 2020, 12:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I'm gonna stick my neck out here a bit, but after much reading and research I reckon C19 is not going to be as bad in Australia as it is in many other countries. We're on a Singapore/South Korea trajectory, not an Italy/Spain/UK/USA one. Our governments, federal and state have overall done a good job at containment. Not perfect but far from what, say, the US has done. I know being geographically isolated has helped (even more so for us in Perth) but apart from cruise ships and international arrivals, the spread has been small. Not out of the woods yet but getting there

But then again WTF do I know!
I think perhaps the temperature has done us some favours too. Might be a different story had this hit us in winter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.