Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Old Mar 28th 2020, 10:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

In some countries there may be signs the "New cases" curve is beginning to flatten. Australia, Poland and Italy seem to be starting to see this.

On the flip side the US and the UK have lots of work to do.
Old Mar 29th 2020, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

@ carcajou - did you actually bother to read my posts? If you haven't, I suggest you do; if you have, you can only be being disingenuous and deliberately ignoring my point.

I cannot believe the staggering hypocrisy of you and your colleagues thinking it is perfectly OK to kick out people who have no place to go and then replace them with your elderly relatives who are currently within easy reach of the apparently limitless medical facilities and full supermarkets in Perth and take them and the virus back to your area so they can overwhelm the medical facilities and shops there. How about you/they practice what you preach?

Originally Posted by carcajou
Louie, you need to listen to the advice and directives of the government and health authorities and STAY HOME.
Once again, I do not have any home to go to, other than our caravan. We've been on the road over four years after briefly renting in Adelaide, so our van is registered in South Australia, but it's not "home" in any normal sense of the word. But perhaps I can remind you what I said in my original post:

Originally Posted by louie
We've been travelling round South Australia (our "home" state) for months now and are coincidentally at the moment in sight of where we started out on our adventure.
Originally Posted by louie
we have decided to stay here for the duration
Originally Posted by carcajou
It would be a potentially good idea for you to investigate caravan storage and finding built accommodation in Adelaide, on a short (6-month) lease or so. You will be a lot more comfortable that way, and a lot safer as you won't be using communal facilities if your caravan is dependent on that (as government has identified this as a concerning potential transmission vector).
Thank you for the suggestion, but I can assure you that our van is perfectly comfortable - and self contained.

Last edited by louie; Mar 29th 2020 at 1:30 am.
Old Mar 29th 2020, 1:43 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
In some countries there may be signs the "New cases" curve is beginning to flatten. Australia, Poland and Italy seem to be starting to see this.

On the flip side the US and the UK have lots of work to do.
This is a time when being far away from everyone else is a bonus - WA locking down its regions is a great idea. In WA it seems the daily Covid new infection toll has been a constant 20-25 a day with, as yet, virtually no deaths - so it looks like the system put in place is working so far
Old Mar 29th 2020, 2:21 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Please search the memory cells
https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/527228
Old Mar 29th 2020, 3:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
This is a time when being far away from everyone else is a bonus - WA locking down its regions is a great idea. In WA it seems the daily Covid new infection toll has been a constant 20-25 a day with, as yet, virtually no deaths - so it looks like the system put in place is working so far
I have to say, this national cabinet seems to be working quite well. And where one needs to do their own thing because it's required in their jurisdiction, they can. Leaders from all political persuasions seem to be working well together. Unlike the US where they are still throwing barbs at each other.

33 for WA today. I suspect another week or so of the odd increase then we hope to see a bit of a good reduction.

Last edited by Beoz; Mar 29th 2020 at 3:40 am.
Old Mar 30th 2020, 1:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Please search the memory cells
Sorry M, missed your comment. Here you go. https://www.londontheatre1.com/theat...-opera-ballet/
Old Mar 30th 2020, 1:56 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Sorry M, missed your comment. Here you go. https://www.londontheatre1.com/theat...-opera-ballet/
I saw a similar thing for Broadway...only a 7 day free trial bit might be good for a binge watch. After that it's not that expensive either if musicals are your thing.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/cul...e=facebook.com
Old Mar 30th 2020, 7:04 am
Proudly Deplorable

Wow, this is huge:
https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/cor...ng-b881504179z

I think some people are going to be making more than before Covid 19! I know much of this is necessary but it is crazy expensive and when this is all over, it will be interesting to observe how it is all going to be paid back, seeing as there is no such thing as a free lunch. The pain for many is going to go on for a long time!
Old Mar 30th 2020, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know why the Australian forum is unable to carry a thread without it getting political. It certainly is boring and unnecessary especially when people from all walks of life and political persuasion around the world are getting sick and dieing.

I hope you find somewhere you can park up that doesn't cost the earth and have shops happy to sell to you. I've seen reports, could be bogus, could be true, of health professionals being turned away from some shops because they could be infected! This is the time we should help each other more than ever, however humans are not perfect and some are ****ed. Take care and I look forward to hearing of your travels.
There is some truth to it. Coles were dismissive of me trying to pick up a few things after work (had my ID lanyard on). I'd changed clothes leaving the hospital, sanitised, wiped down the car with hospital grade wipes but I couldn't go in. Real shame seeing as Mr Clacfart, although better is still vulnerable. That and the fact I have a 14 week old at home. Both staying put whilst I go to work and do the general outside stuff.

Shame
Old Mar 30th 2020, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wow, this is huge:
https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/cor...ng-b881504179z

I think some people are going to be making more than before Covid 19! I know much of this is necessary but it is crazy expensive and when this is all over, it will be interesting to observe how it is all going to be paid back, seeing as there is no such thing as a free lunch. The pain for many is going to go on for a long time!
Yep. Enormous.

The $1500 per fortnight certainly eclipses a lot of wages out there.

Given its purpose is not directly a monetary payment for the individual, but instead a subsidy to the employer, ensuring the worker has a job on the other side, if there's any spare change then the employer is likely to keep the change. On the flip side, for many other businesses its only a part help.

They have gone for the flat structure, not really to my liking but given the time they had to thrash it out and its temporary nature, the important thing is it should allow businesses to keep employees and making the recovery a bit easier for all.
Old Mar 30th 2020, 11:55 am
Proudly Deplorable

Yep. Enormous.

Given its purpose is not directly a monetary payment for the individual, but instead a subsidy to the employer, ensuring the worker has a job on the other side, if there's any spare change then the employer is likely to keep the change. On the flip side, for many other businesses its only a part help.

They have gone for the flat structure, not really to my liking but given the time they had to thrash it out and its temporary nature, the important thing is it should allow businesses to keep employees and making the recovery a bit easier for all.
The cost is insane. Australia's debt to GDP ratio is just under 40% the last time I looked. So in ballpark figures, on a AUD2 trillion economy that's about AUD800 billion (reality it's probably less but I haven't checked). The government is probably going to throw half a trillion at this, so that will take the debt to around AUD1.3 trillion. Crazy numbers but still only 65% of GDP (although of course GDP is going to shrink) - bad but not bad, bad. Now you take the UK debt/GDP ratio of over 80%, add the, at least, GBP500 billion they are going to spend, and you've getting into the 90%'s (maybe even 100%) of GDP - which is far too high. The US is in even worse shape at 105% - even before you take the USD3-odd trillion that they've just announced. Okay, it's not so desperate for them as they have the world's reserve currency but still scary numbers. Their great-grandkids are going to be paying that off. Just goes to that our government's efforts to get rid of the deficit has been a commendable move - with the benefits about to be realised
Old Mar 30th 2020, 12:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The cost is insane. Australia's debt to GDP ratio is just under 40% the last time I looked. So in ballpark figures, on a AUD2 trillion economy that's about AUD800 billion (reality it's probably less but I haven't checked). The government is probably going to throw half a trillion at this, so that will take the debt to around AUD1.3 trillion. Crazy numbers but still only 65% of GDP (although of course GDP is going to shrink) - bad but not bad, bad. Now you take the UK debt/GDP ratio of over 80%, add the, at least, GBP500 billion they are going to spend, and you've getting into the 90%'s (maybe even 100%) of GDP - which is far too high. The US is in even worse shape at 105% - even before you take the USD3-odd trillion that they've just announced. Okay, it's not so desperate for them as they have the world's reserve currency but still scary numbers. Their great-grandkids are going to be paying that off. Just goes to that our government's efforts to get rid of the deficit has been a commendable move - with the benefits about to be realised
Yeah it's nuts. And how's China looking?
Old Mar 30th 2020, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Dmorgan07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep. Enormous.

I don't think there will be any spare change. I believe from the government info pdf (for employers) they released that they have to pay the employee 1500 per fortnight that the government is paying them as part of the agreement to claim. One example they gave was someone earning 1000 a fortnight usually will recieve 1500 a fortnight with the wage subsidy. So yes many will be better off I guess- until they super tax us all at the end of it or whatever plan they have
Old Mar 30th 2020, 1:37 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Had a woman come in to do a trial run at the rehoming centre. English, they've been over here for 14 months on a Temp working visa. Her company closed down last week and she's expecting one more pay cheque. Her husband was being laid off at the end of this week. No money for rent and no way to get out of the country and obviously no way of getting any support from Centrelink. They did have some friends over from WA staying for a couple of weeks who lent them some money for food and she was hoping family and friends in the UK could send them some to tide them over. Wonder how many of them there are in the same situation, very scary.
Old Mar 30th 2020, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Dmorgan07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Had a woman come in to do a trial run at the rehoming centre. English, they've been over here for 14 months on a Temp working visa. Her company closed down last week and she's expecting one more pay cheque. Her husband was being laid off at the end of this week. No money for rent and no way to get out of the country and obviously no way of getting any support from Centrelink. They did have some friends over from WA staying for a couple of weeks who lent them some money for food and she was hoping family and friends in the UK could send them some to tide them over. Wonder how many of them there are in the same situation, very scary.
It is very scary I agree. I have a good friend at work who is from South Africa in the same boat pretty much. Over here on a temporary visa with her 2 daughters and now is facing the prospect of losing all her income, as we were told the centre will most likely be closing it's doors from the end of the week (that was before the wage subsidy was announced tho) reckon there will be many in the same position. Hopefully the government will do right by the non-perm residents. How is everyone else managing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.