Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Old Aug 7th 2020, 8:13 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
thanks!Sure :but companies will want to see you in person. Incidentally it might cost say 100k to get a cheap resource onshore which is not a great salary in the big scheme...and you are not getting the best. That is 54,000 quid which I think is still a very reasonable UK salary....
By "wanting to see you in person" do you mean to interview face to face? My husband does a lot of recruitment, globally, and most of it is done by video. Much of the company (tech) has always worked remotely. In normal times they might get together a couple of times a year.

The times, they are a'changing, Badge.
Old Aug 7th 2020, 11:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kooky.
By "wanting to see you in person" do you mean to interview face to face? My husband does a lot of recruitment, globally, and most of it is done by video. Much of the company (tech) has always worked remotely. In normal times they might get together a couple of times a year.

The times, they are a'changing, Badge.
No not interview. Sometimes to solve an issue, do strategic planning, or bang heads together face to face helps. But we manage on video or even voice most of the time. Most of the tech companies I have worked with allowed a day from home here and there, and I did 2 years 4 days in the office, but this crisis showed you could do it M-F. In fact, in general I was beginning to wonder whose these people were who had already been working almost permanently from home for years...recall the head of at least 1 company who had decided to come back into the office not so long ago...(Yahoo?).

For interviewing, doing it in person I think helps you pick on the body language - see if someone is sweating, and see how they react to pressure...see their manners etc...what are they doing with their hands? I think head and shoulders is a bit limited...

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Aug 7th 2020 at 11:41 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2020, 11:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The problem with this is that a lot of companies are going to realise that if they can get their work done remotely in Australia, then they can also get it done remotely from some other country - and it doesn't have to be India either. Workers in NZ, the UK, SA, USA etc speak English and generally cost a lot less than us and are more than capable of doing the same work. And remember, no matter how good or dedicated you are, nobody is irreplaceable. Be careful what you wish for!

Anyway, welcome back
The problem with UK, SA and USA is timezones. Questions need instant answers, waiting 12 hours for that answer to come through is unacceptable, and if the question needs some research, add another 12 hours to that.

I have been doing this for decades and it's a pain in the arse and a real productivity killer.

Sydney Perth can be bad enough. Perth asks a question of Sydney, at 4pm Perth time, you are waiting until the next day for the answer. I bank with Bankwest at the moment and even that has it's challenges.

Last edited by Beoz; Aug 7th 2020 at 11:41 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2020, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
The problem with UK, SA and USA is timezones. Questions need instant answers, waiting 12 hours for that answer to come through is unacceptable, and if the question needs some research, add another 12 hours to that.

I have been doing this for decades and it's a pain in the arse and a real productivity killer.

Sydney Perth can be bad enough. Perth asks a question of Sydney, at 4pm Perth time, you are waiting until the next day for the answer. I bank with Bankwest at the moment and even that has it's challenges.
True, though that you can use that time to prepare, you are always ahead in that sense
Old Aug 8th 2020, 2:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

True, though that you can use that time to prepare, you are always ahead in that sense
Prepare? What do you mean? Delivery is where the money is and if compounding time zone delays affect this then it's worth paying a little bit more for local.
Old Aug 8th 2020, 2:53 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

We can argue around the peripheries of this all we like but knowledge-based professionals who think that working from home is the new norm without any negative consequences are kidding themselves. I can see businesses using this as an excuse to cut costs and not having to deal with the onerous, nanny state, anti-business IR laws that we currently have
Old Aug 8th 2020, 3:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Prepare? What do you mean? Delivery is where the money is and if compounding time zone delays affect this then it's worth paying a little bit more for local.
I'm talking about relationships where you have clients and partners overseas and behind in the timezone, not employees .

When we go to DST I have an extra hr before a client or partner is snapping at my heels.

Cheers
Old Aug 8th 2020, 3:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We can argue around the peripheries of this all we like but knowledge-based professionals who think that working from home is the new norm without any negative consequences are kidding themselves. I can see businesses using this as an excuse to cut costs and not having to deal with the onerous, nanny state, anti-business IR laws that we currently have
sure. But for those who will keep going it could be good. Also all those workers who have a less than great 'space' will start pointing to their dicky backs and necks..employers have to provide a safe workspace and it's why they are making sure people have the right gear at home....
Old Aug 8th 2020, 4:22 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

sure. But for those who will keep going it could be good.
Alright for those who can but for the rest.......

If you are a knowledge-based worker, make sure that part of your role is physically hands-on - someone who actually has to go to site for instance. If your current role doesn't fit this description, find one that does!
Old Aug 8th 2020, 4:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Alright for those who can but for the rest.......

If you are a knowledge-based worker, make sure that part of your role is physically hands-on - someone who actually has to go to site for instance. If your current role doesn't fit this description, find one that does!
spot on. Plus working from home sucks balls.
Old Aug 8th 2020, 6:12 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
spot on. Plus working from home sucks balls.
I don't mind a bit of working from home but would hate to do it full-time

The mob I'm currently contracting for had nearly everyone working from home during the initial kung flu overreaction but now most are back in the office. I'm looking at a new opportunity that entails 2-3 days a week at home but I wouldn't mind that as they're working big hours and I could do a lot outside of normal office hours

Last edited by Amazulu; Aug 8th 2020 at 6:16 am.
Old Aug 8th 2020, 7:16 am
Account Closed

I don't mind a bit of working from home but would hate to do it full-time

The mob I'm currently contracting for had nearly everyone working from home during the initial kung flu overreaction but now most are back in the office. I'm looking at a new opportunity that entails 2-3 days a week at home but I wouldn't mind that as they're working big hours and I could do a lot outside of normal office hours
I don't mind it now and a gain, but I spent 2 years developing course material at home, and I hated it, mind you that was after a 5 year stint of FIFO, so that may have contributed. Its being motivated enough to not watch TV or mow the lawns that was my downfall
Old Aug 11th 2020, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BEVS
Oh no. New Zealand panics again.

RETURN OF RESTRICTIONS

Those in Auckland will have to work from home unless they are an essential service worker.

Schools will only open for students who have parents who are essential workers. Public facilities, bars, restaurants and businesses must close by midday Wednesday.

People can only leave the house for essential services and gatherings of more than 10 people are restricted. For the rest of the country, mass gatherings will be limited to 100 people.

Ms Ardern said the three-day restrictions would give authorities time to assess the situation.

“We’re asking people in Auckland to stay home to stop the spread,” she said.

“Act as if you have COVID, and as though people around you have COVID.

“We have come too far to go backwards.”

And this is the problem you have created for yourselves. Eternal total lock in.
Old Aug 11th 2020, 10:02 pm
Account Closed

Oh no. New Zealand panics again.

RETURN OF RESTRICTIONS

Those in Auckland will have to work from home unless they are an essential service worker.

Schools will only open for students who have parents who are essential workers. Public facilities, bars, restaurants and businesses must close by midday Wednesday.

People can only leave the house for essential services and gatherings of more than 10 people are restricted. For the rest of the country, mass gatherings will be limited to 100 people.

Ms Ardern said the three-day restrictions would give authorities time to assess the situation.

“We’re asking people in Auckland to stay home to stop the spread,” she said.

“Act as if you have COVID, and as though people around you have COVID.

“We have come too far to go backwards.”

And this is the problem you have created for yourselves. Eternal total lock in.
My God you'll be creaming your pants if someone dies there, you're reprehensible.
Old Aug 12th 2020, 1:49 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
My God you'll be creaming your pants if someone dies there, you're reprehensible.
It's OK. The poster has made some rather odd posts re Covid19 and NZ over the past few months and also displayed lack of knowledge and understanding on certain issues. When helped with that he has become somewhat supercilious . That's fine. Ex BE Site Leads have come across far worse.

It would be helpful though if he would quote properly and add in a link to the article etc as per the site rules re copyright. From a cursory glance he has cherry picked. He has also once again misunderstood intention and probably has not followed the other assorted bulletins and updates re covid , borders and travel as that would not suit his MO. I am not really sure where the eternal lock down thing comes from as we haven't been in eternal lockdown. We have been free to do as we wish , including travel , for months.

The changes to the alert levels are for 3 days at the moment. It is to allow for track, trace, test out in the community, as well as other investigations. It offers a breather . It is not the head in sand approach of course. It is a prompt measured wise approach to an expected set back.

Hopefully no-one will be permanently disabled or actually die from this outbreak which should be everyone's prime aim. Well - one would hope so anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.