Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Old Aug 2nd 2020, 12:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by abner
NZ just seemed to take the whole thing more seriously from the get-go, and through a combination of good policy, good management and good luck, have avoided major, expensive errors like the Ruby Princess (NSW) and quarantine-hotel-management-on-the-cheap (VIC).

They've benefited as well from not having a federated system of government, i.e.
  • no national vs state politics to muddle the message of the public health response to the general public;
  • no dropping of balls between national and state authorities as happened in the Ruby Princess case;
  • no pointless sniping between states and/or the feds about state border issues.
The Ruby Princess shows how an outbreak can be managed with a minimal lockdown. NSW got it's day case to 0 before Victoria screwed up.

The messaging for everyone is reasonably well followed by the residents of the rest of the states. Victoria has all sorts of issues. Its hotel quarrentine and more importantly, contact tracing have been a disaster.

I read tonight NSW with its small numbers have picked up 14 COVID positive cases from the COVIDSafe app. Victoria with its large numbers ..... zero. Something is going badly wrong with the contact tracing there.

Word on the street is Chairman Dan wants to walk. Can't blame him really. He's a dead man walking anyway. I do feel a bit sorry for him. He looks utterly defeated. Let's hope tomorrow he doesn't shut down the economy completely.

Also, I do hope NSW are working hard to ring fence the aged care homes. That's where the biggest risk live from global and local experience.

Last edited by Beoz; Aug 2nd 2020 at 12:42 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 2:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by abner
NZ just seemed to take the whole thing more seriously from the get-go, and through a combination of good policy, good management and good luck, have avoided major, expensive errors like the Ruby Princess (NSW) and quarantine-hotel-management-on-the-cheap (VIC).

They've benefited as well from not having a federated system of government, i.e.
  • no national vs state politics to muddle the message of the public health response to the general public;
  • no dropping of balls between national and state authorities as happened in the Ruby Princess case;
  • no pointless sniping between states and/or the feds about state border issues.
absolutely on the money, the sniping between states has been especially hard to swallow. East coasters and Victorians are being treated like lepers by some of the more stupid western Australians. I take my hat off to NZ and WA governments for putting their people first.
I see our resident scomo fan boy is blaming the latest NSW outbreaks on Victoria and Dan, perhaps giving a few days notice of border closures may have contributed, but that would mean criticising Gladys, perish the thought .
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 11:11 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Well it [Corona] finally hit home to many of the local residents of our little nearby town. Over the weekend a woman was arrested in the town, at a private residence, for falsifying her border declaration [claiming she had arrived from Victoria and was essential service personnel] Also detained were two other women found hiding in the back of an interstate truck at a local [Gympie] truck-stop. Local Facebook pages have gone crazy, suggestions range from public floggings to hanging from the fuel signs at said truck stop. I go to sleep dreaming of "Dueling Banjos" again.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 12:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
I go to sleep dreaming of "Dueling Banjos" again.
Outstanding. Ho ho. I know a number of families who jumped on and book a quick QLD break over the next few weeks / months only to have to now cancel. Probably good for them given the public lynching they may have received being from that evil Sydney.
Old Aug 5th 2020, 8:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Had a Corona test yesterday - not that I thought I had it, just a sore throat and cough (kindly shared by small granddaughter who had had a cold last week). Must say I was impressed by the drive through testing process. Bit of a long wait as there were around 100 cars ahead of me when I arrived but it didnt take that long with 4 testing stations on the go. It was irritating but not painful and I got the results (negative as expected) just 24 hours later (almost to the minute). Impressed by the process.
Old Aug 5th 2020, 11:06 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Outstanding. Ho ho. I know a number of families who jumped on and book a quick QLD break over the next few weeks / months only to have to now cancel. Probably good for them given the public lynching they may have received being from that evil Sydney.
Yesterday the police raided a property a couple of doors up from our place and took away a bloke that had falsified his paperwork back in May. He was found hiding behind the sofa in the lounge room of the property and claimed to be his father. He couldn't spell the fathers name correctly and had used three different spellings of it on border crossing documents and other paperwork. It turns out he's a career criminal with a long history of crimes committed over the border in NSW. The magistrate has denied bail and he'll be extradited back to NSW to face the more serious charges.
Meanwhile supermarket shelves in town emptied of toilet paper within minutes of the news breaking ditto bread & milk. I've come to the conclusion that Queenslanders are big sooks and any mention of flood, fire or virus has them running to the shops to buy their staple diet of milk sandwiches something that obviously causes serious explosive diarrhea hence the need for 55 boxes of dunny paper per household.
Old Aug 5th 2020, 1:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone
A little bit bored with not getting out to the High Country since June but loving working from home. I now suspect will never return to 5 days in an office ever again: what a win. We enjoyed the first lockdown. Plenty of sleep..
We have a large deck and plenty of space..

On a more cheeky note: Dan is gone: he panicked.

By the way, the ADF has nothing to do with the lockdown problem, a good looking soldier would have found their way back into a room after a shift, most guards would have nothing on them... ;-)

Old Aug 6th 2020, 12:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by cresta57
Yesterday the police raided a property a couple of doors up from our place and took away a bloke that had falsified his paperwork back in May. He was found hiding behind the sofa in the lounge room of the property and claimed to be his father. He couldn't spell the fathers name correctly and had used three different spellings of it on border crossing documents and other paperwork. It turns out he's a career criminal with a long history of crimes committed over the border in NSW. The magistrate has denied bail and he'll be extradited back to NSW to face the more serious charges.
Meanwhile supermarket shelves in town emptied of toilet paper within minutes of the news breaking ditto bread & milk. I've come to the conclusion that Queenslanders are big sooks and any mention of flood, fire or virus has them running to the shops to buy their staple diet of milk sandwiches something that obviously causes serious explosive diarrhea hence the need for 55 boxes of dunny paper per household.
Ha ha. Sounds like its safer to be here in that evil Sydney. To be fair, life is marching on as normal here as we teeter on the edge of a COVID explosion. Normal except for the massive increase in mask wearing when in Bunnings or up the high street. I would say 50% are covering up at the moment, which is a good thing I guess. Plenty of bog roll too.
Old Aug 6th 2020, 12:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Hi Everyone
A little bit bored with not getting out to the High Country since June but loving working from home. I now suspect will never return to 5 days in an office ever again: what a win. We enjoyed the first lockdown. Plenty of sleep..
We have a large deck and plenty of space..

On a more cheeky note: Dan is gone: he panicked.

By the way, the ADF has nothing to do with the lockdown problem, a good looking soldier would have found their way back into a room after a shift, most guards would have nothing on them... ;-)
I take it the Victorian resorts are shut then? I have a bit of Thredbo booked in a couple of weeks time. Teetering on the COVID explosion edge gives that no guarantees of happening, but there are some nice winter storms rolling through over the next week or so.

Yes a soldier probably has a better chance of scoring for sure. The difference being they typically don't have a massive, newly immigrated, extended family, who don't practice social distancing to share the COVID with.
Old Aug 6th 2020, 1:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I take it the Victorian resorts are shut then? I have a bit of Thredbo booked in a couple of weeks time. Teetering on the COVID explosion edge gives that no guarantees of happening, but there are some nice winter storms rolling through over the next week or so.

Yes a soldier probably has a better chance of scoring for sure. The difference being they typically don't have a massive, newly immigrated, extended family, who don't practice social distancing to share the COVID with.
The fact that a tradesman can't visit a house is the biggest dent in the ecomomy. That was unnecessary.

Yes, they are announcing closures. I was prepared to miss the snow; it is just the High country I am after.

On the outbreaks, I confess it took me a while to realise there was a socio-demographic aspect. More people living together, casualised workforce, observing festivals, sharing food, using their hands in shared dishes (as I recently noted before Covid) and in medium to high density housing...all out West...the media were very sensitive about it, in general.

To date, I have yet to hear of 1 case in my circles.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Aug 6th 2020 at 1:15 am.
Old Aug 6th 2020, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

On the outbreaks, I confess it took me a while to realise there was a socio-demographic aspect. More people living together, casualised workforce, observing festivals, sharing food, using their hands in shared dishes (as I recently noted before Covid) and in medium to high density housing...all out West...the media were very sensitive about it, in general.

To date, I have yet to hear of 1 case in my circles.
I think that's the thing that's saved Sydney to date. Its mostly contained to pub and dining establishments. However its going to be a miracle if that lasts as its popping up in Bankstown and places around there. Its only a matter of time before it creeps into the food sharing, mutli-generational, house sharing in that area.
Old Aug 6th 2020, 6:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

There are a huge number of 'QLDers' coming 'home' before Saturday. Didn't see any Vic plates.
Old Aug 7th 2020, 4:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

loving working from home. I now suspect will never return to 5 days in an office ever again: what a win)
The problem with this is that a lot of companies are going to realise that if they can get their work done remotely in Australia, then they can also get it done remotely from some other country - and it doesn't have to be India either. Workers in NZ, the UK, SA, USA etc speak English and generally cost a lot less than us and are more than capable of doing the same work. And remember, no matter how good or dedicated you are, nobody is irreplaceable. Be careful what you wish for!

Anyway, welcome back
Old Aug 7th 2020, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The problem with this is that a lot of companies are going to realise that if they can get their work done remotely in Australia, then they can also get it done remotely from some other country - and it doesn't have to be India either. Workers in NZ, the UK, SA, USA etc speak English and generally cost a lot less than us and are more than capable of doing the same work. And remember, no matter how good or dedicated you are, nobody is irreplaceable. Be careful what you wish for!

Anyway, welcome back
So true. The naivety by some who think the economy is going to be ok is astounding. We are expecting unemployment to hit double figures in the coming months, millions of people are left impoverished due to these lock-downs, our dranconian actions have done more harm than the virus ever could but hey, as long as someone can work from home a few days a week it's win win 🤨
Old Aug 7th 2020, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu

Anyway, welcome back
thanks!Sure :but companies will want to see you in person. Incidentally it might cost say 100k to get a cheap resource onshore which is not a great salary in the big scheme...and you are not getting the best. That is 54,000 quid which I think is still a very reasonable UK salary....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.