Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Old Apr 26th 2020, 10:19 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Yes, the Chinese made big mistakes and the people who did paid for that, but at least once the central government found out, the reaction was quick and decisive. they didn't bumble around like other countries have done. It may have started there, but the Spanish Flu was started by Americans last century, and I don't recall anyone griping about that or the pandemic that swept through Australia after colonisation. The only reason there is such an outcry over this one is that certain politicians in the US and of course, Australia, decided they could get good political milage through the media, to blame somebody because they were so slow, like 2 months, in getting organised after initially saying what a good job was done, and also the use of social media by the far-right to push their propaganda that has the country in an uproar.

Yes, I would have been happy to be tested because it would have given me peace of mind, and it's also not as difficult as people make out.
In China, it definitely is mandatory for returning citizens from abroad to be tested and also people to be quarantined and tested when returning to either their home province OR city/town.....you don't leave until you have had at least 2 negative tests within that 14 days. I was lucky they reduced ine in Zhongxiang as I had a green health certificate from the Yichang authorities and you can't use any public transport, bus, train, taxi, DIDI or aircraft, now unless you either show either a green heacth code by scanning the QR code with your phoen or have a current paper certificate,

As to the numbers, i rely on the old saying of lies, damn lies and statistics, especially with the low rate of testing done here and the lax restrictions that slowly were put in place, which most have been ignored anyway.

I'm just wondering how many cases have fallen through the cracks (again I will cite the guy who was cleared in NSW and flew back to Brisbane and was positive) and so no wonder "the curve" is being flattened. There is also no daily checking of detainees to ensure there health s they only rely on what people tell them and definitely no fresh air, only recycled air-conditioning that takes air from all over the buildiing and sends back to every room, surprisingly air-con does tend to spread airborne pathegins around the system.
Nope. The way China has handled C19 has been a f**king pathetic disgrace. The world is in the predicament that it is today because of those pricks and is going to be looking at China in a very different light post C19. Bring it

We live in a country that is in the top 5 in the world when it comes to handling this pandemic - and we've done it without crashing our economy like New Zealand has. We've done a much better job than China has - much, much better

As others have said, although Spanish flu first appeared at a US army base, it most probably started in Asia, namely China. That was a time before mass telecommunications and the digital age. Information flowed very differently back then
Old Apr 26th 2020, 12:05 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

The downside - Looks like normal is returning (but normal wasn’t working, so good luck with the next crisis that requires printing of fake money to solve ...)

The upside - The winter cricket season might start as planned

I’m on the Pandemic Plan so lost a shedload of weight. Family frisbee time plus no commute means more quality exercise time.

AND I’ve wangled getting a force feedback wheel with pedals and gearshift as essential XBox lockdown equipment.

Halcyon Days, how can I fund the Chinese labs in anticipation for the next wave?
Old Apr 26th 2020, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim

The upside - The winter cricket season might start as planned
Cricket just won't be the same without a tonne of sweat and saliva on the ball.
Old Apr 26th 2020, 1:31 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

So New Zealand now has more deaths (pro rata) than Australia

That economy ending stage 4 lock down worked well for them didn't it!
Old Apr 26th 2020, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
So New Zealand now has more deaths (pro rata) than Australia

That economy ending stage 4 lock down worked well for them didn't it!
She is just a publicity stunt.
Old Apr 26th 2020, 8:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

The trouble with heaping all this blame on China is the all those morons on the beaches and having parties etc, those people will be taking that 'anger' out on everyday normal Chinese people who had nothing to do with the virus.
Old Apr 27th 2020, 12:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

QLD 3, NSW 2, Vic 3, 2 unknown state. Total 10.

Weekend testing so there is a fair chance it's not an accurate picture but NSW did do over 4000 tests yesterday which is a fair number.
Old Apr 27th 2020, 1:29 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
QLD 3, NSW 2, Vic 3, 2 unknown state. Total 10.

Weekend testing so there is a fair chance it's not an accurate picture but NSW did do over 4000 tests yesterday which is a fair number.
Where did you get your numbers? I've seen QLD 3, NSW 2, VIC 1 and TAS 4. Still total of 10 but discrepancy is VIC number.
Old Apr 27th 2020, 2:22 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
The trouble with heaping all this blame on China is the all those morons on the beaches and having parties etc, those people will be taking that 'anger' out on everyday normal Chinese people who had nothing to do with the virus.
I agree, they are not to blame for what the asshole government has done in China - and anyone targeting them is an idiot. Saying that, the Australian Chinese community is no stranger to pathetic, unjustified attacks - look at the harassment that Mack Horton and his family have had to suffer at the hands of the local Melbourne Chinese community over the last few years
Old Apr 27th 2020, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, they are not to blame for what the asshole government has done in China - and anyone targeting them is an idiot. Saying that, the Australian Chinese community is no stranger to pathetic, unjustified attacks - look at the harassment that Mack Horton and his family have had to suffer at the hands of the local Melbourne Chinese community over the last few years
If you are looking for officially sanctioned nasty racism, I give you the Chinese Communist Party. The way Uighurs, Tibetans, Muslims, and anyone who isn't Han Chinese is treated in that country is horrifying. They put on a smile for foreigners but if you actually have to live there and be on the receiving end of the CCP it's a very different story.
Old Apr 27th 2020, 2:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Where did you get your numbers? I've seen QLD 3, NSW 2, VIC 1 and TAS 4. Still total of 10 but discrepancy is VIC number.
Gladys' 8am briefing and the SMH. It may be wrong of course but here it is below.

Only 10 new cases across Australia as second wave becomes focus

By Nicole Precel
Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt has said there has been an increase of 10 cases in the last 24 hours in Australia.

The NSW and Queensland premiers have already held press conferences this morning announcing two and three new cases in their respective states.

Mr Hunt said three of the other five cases were in Victoria.
Old Apr 27th 2020, 3:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by carcajou
If you are looking for officially sanctioned nasty racism, I give you the Chinese Communist Party. The way Uighurs, Tibetans, Muslims, and anyone who isn't Han Chinese is treated in that country is horrifying. They put on a smile for foreigners but if you actually have to live there and be on the receiving end of the CCP it's a very different story.
And the Chinese Ambassador is now saying the world does not have the appetite for an independent review of China.

How arrogant. No one can mess with China

He goes on to threaten Australia by stating China will boycott tourism, education and agriculture products from Australia.

China is also ramping up propaganda into the origins of the virus.

The arroganance, lying, and ownership of the Chinese government is a disgrace.

Old Apr 27th 2020, 3:08 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by carcajou
Agree. I went there a few years ago. Great country and people but their government is a waste of space. I find it bizarre that a lot of the Australian Chinese community is beholden to them. Very strange.
Old Apr 27th 2020, 3:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Agree. I went there a few years ago. Great country and people but their government is a waste of space. I find it bizarre that a lot of the Australian Chinese community is beholden to them. Very strange.
Its pretty clear if they speak up. Their friends and family back in China won't be seen again.

Also saving face is not about the individual, it's about the collective group. It's about the family, the government, the culture.
Old Apr 27th 2020, 5:31 am
Proudly Deplorable

This is interesting. Bakersfield has a similar population density to most Australian urban centres:

Saying that, I'm not promoting any conspiracy theory here and that there is some ulterior government motive

Last edited by Amazulu; Apr 27th 2020 at 5:36 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.