Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Old Apr 20th 2020, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Pardon if I sound skeptical about the figures in Australia being released as I wonder out of those hundreds from India, how many will actually be tested?
I arrived back in the country yesterday from China and was supposed be examined and tested as per Federal Government directive......out of 57 passengers only 5 or 6 were taken for further examination, before being placed on buses for the hotel. As a returning citizen I met the criteria for testing.The initial Q and A was verbally how do you feel? Do you have any coughs, fever, sore throat etc. PPE gear on the medics was minimal to say the least.
It was particularly humid inside the terminal, so after walking a fair distance, I was sweating a bit.....about the same amount as when the Zhongxiang Police called an ambulance with crew in hazmat gear just in case because of anomalous thermometer readings between the digital and old-style thermometer while I was waiting at a checkpoint because of a foul up with paperwork when I visited a friend after our cities were unsealed.
What state are you living in?

In Western Australia - they are trying to get everyone out as quick as possible - so it doesn't surprise me you were moved on right away, if you were transiting Perth and were going to a state that doesn't have a closed border etc. I can't comment on other states but I do know there are West Australians who are stranded in the Eastern States because of the border closure, and just being West Australian isn't enough to get back in.

But also in Western Australia, the testing criteria has been relaxed so that anyone who is unwell can get a test. If you have a cough, you can just rock up to a clinic or a hospital, without a referral, and get a test. If you have a fever or even if you don't but you had one a few days ago, you can get a test. You don't need a doctor's note or anything else. I do know that there is at least one location, asymptomatic people who just show up are also getting tests if they ask for them. I realise you just came back from China - but it isn't like that here, and it isn't like Europe or parts of the US where you have to meet specific symptom criteria or particular travel movements to be tested. Basically here if you want a test you can get one and you just need to show up and ask for it.

So it doesn't surprise me that at least in WA, people feeling fine were just waved on to their quarantine hotel, because if they are feeling unwell or want a test they will get one.

So, yes, I do believe the figures, at least the WA figures, because the testing isn't restrictive. I don't know how it is in other states.

I also live in the regions, with its fabled and famous Bush Telegraph, and a month ago it was on fire with "we heard this and we heard that and there's one in that shire and there's one in this shire" and that's gone completely cold.

Last edited by carcajou; Apr 20th 2020 at 11:47 am.
Old Apr 20th 2020, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Thanks for your kind message, much appreciated.
Have they been able to be discharged yet?
Old Apr 20th 2020, 11:51 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
What state are you living in?

In Western Australia - they are trying to get everyone out as quick as possible - so it doesn't surprise me you were moved on right away, if you were transiting Perth and were going to a state that doesn't have a closed border etc. I can't comment on other states but I do know there are West Australians who are stranded in the Eastern States because of the border closure, and just being West Australian isn't enough to get back in.

But also in Western Australia, the testing criteria has been relaxed so that anyone who is unwell can get a test. If you have a cough, you can just rock up to a clinic or a hospital, without a referral, and get a test. If you have a fever or even if you don't but you had one a few days ago, you can get a test. You don't need a doctor's note or anything else. I do know that there is at least one location, asymptomatic people who just show up are also getting tests if they ask for them. I realise you just came back from China - but it isn't like that here, and it isn't like Europe or parts of the US where you have to meet specific symptom criteria or particular travel movements to be tested. Basically here if you want a test you can get one and you just need to show up and ask for it.

So it doesn't surprise me that at least in WA, people feeling fine were just waved on to their quarantine hotel, because if they are feeling unwell or want a test they will get one.

So, yes, I do believe the figures, at least the WA figures, because the testing isn't restrictive. I don't know how it is in other states.

I also live in the regions, with its fabled and famous Bush Telegraph, and a month ago it was on fire with "we heard this and we heard that and there's one in that shire and there's one in this shire" and that's gone completely cold.
He lives in Qld.
Has been in China (mostly Hubei) since 2nd Jan. Landed in Sydney from China yesterday, wll be quarantined in a hotel there for 14 days before coming to Qld.
Old Apr 20th 2020, 12:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Pardon if I sound skeptical about the figures in Australia being released as I wonder out of those hundreds from India, how many will actually be tested?
I arrived back in the country yesterday from China and was supposed be examined and tested as per Federal Government directive......out of 57 passengers only 5 or 6 were taken for further examination, before being placed on buses for the hotel. As a returning citizen I met the criteria for testing.The initial Q and A was verbally how do you feel? Do you have any coughs, fever, sore throat etc. PPE gear on the medics was minimal to say the least.
It was particularly humid inside the terminal, so after walking a fair distance, I was sweating a bit.....about the same amount as when the Zhongxiang Police called an ambulance with crew in hazmat gear just in case because of anomalous thermometer readings between the digital and old-style thermometer while I was waiting at a checkpoint because of a foul up with paperwork when I visited a friend after our cities were unsealed.
It says here you only get tested if you have symptoms. According to this article that might be a stretch.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...1c8eaad30f32b2
Old Apr 20th 2020, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beoz
It says here you only get tested if you have symptoms. According to this article that might be a stretch.

I think each state and territory is managing its own testing regime.

In WA (taken directly from WA Health):
* presenting with a fever (≥38°C)
* a recent history of a fever (e.g. night sweats, chills) OR
* an acute respiratory infection e.g. shortness of breath, cough, sore throat.

However I can say - for sure - they aren't asking for referrals, proof of any fever history or respiratory diagnosis, or challenging people who show up wanting a test. If you want one, you get one.

Last edited by carcajou; Apr 20th 2020 at 12:40 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2020, 9:47 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Have they been able to be discharged yet?
Mum will be discharged this morning and will have two visits a day from Silver Chain. My son's in there for the long haul I think, lots of tests to be done plus he's on steroid infusions.

RPH infection protocols are good. On arrival in the lobby I give my name, DOB, phone number, name of son and his ward number, and am asked screening questions. All is recorded so I can be contacted in the event of possible contact with someone with covid-19. I'm given an authorisation to be in the hospital for one hour, which I have to display at all times.
When I get to the ward I have to sign in and sign out. They're doing it properly.

Old Apr 20th 2020, 11:11 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I'm off to Royal Perth hospital this morning, my mum and my son are both in there (neither with the coronavirus). Due to their infection protocols I'm not allowed to visit Mum, who's having a mastectomy this morning, but am allowed to visit my son for one hour as I'm his next of kin. I took him to their emergency dept. yesterday as he suddenly lost the use of his right leg and right arm. They think he has multiple sclerosis, he's 38.
The staff looking after both Mum and my son are brilliant and have put a lot of things in place to make sure patients and visitors are as safe as possible.
What! Gawd!
Stinking poo pots !
Bluddy dreadful all round. I know you're made of stern stuff but all the same.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that's a lot of post's since I was last on here. Haven't read them all because it was starting to get a bit tedious with sniping between a few.

How are you all with the current affairs? Things seem to be quite bleak for family members back in the UK. We are well, Mr clacfart and junior clacfart are self-isolating mostly. I do the shopping/essentials seeing as I have to go out for work. I have to say I'm humbled that so many now are adhering to the social distancing. Aside from my neighbour who had a huge house party a couple of nights back 🙄
Old Apr 21st 2020, 2:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clacfart
Wow, that's a lot of post's since I was last on here. Haven't read them all because it was starting to get a bit tedious with sniping between a few.

How are you all with the current affairs? Things seem to be quite bleak for family members back in the UK. We are well, Mr clacfart and junior clacfart are self-isolating mostly. I do the shopping/essentials seeing as I have to go out for work. I have to say I'm humbled that so many now are adhering to the social distancing. Aside from my neighbour who had a huge house party a couple of nights back 🙄
To be honest my life hasn't changed at all really. We're still working, I still shop at the same time I always have done - daughter works at Woolies at night so I drop her and shop just before closing when there's no one there and shelves are being refilled and we're unsociable buggers at the best of times so our social life hasn't changed at all! Our neighbours have had people round every weekend since social distancing came in. They normally take their caravan off to a site 15km down the road - over the border - every weekend, I guess I should be grateful they're not still doing that! They probably tried and then realised the police at the border wouldn't consider camping 20 minutes from home a necessity.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 3:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Clacfart

I absolutely stand by any sniping i did, and I'd do it again haha. I'm in Scarborough on r&r after 5 weeks up north, I was looking 6to going home on the 1st of June but they're looking to extend my stay by a further 6 months, although I would think I'll be able to go home for r&r at some point during that. Wife and boy both on the job keepers doodah, and daughter busy working from home. Life's as good as we could expect under the circumstances, I've certainly got no complaints and count myself lucky. I've had heaps of mates asking for work and there's nothing I can do, it's horrible. Sometimes the only thing that will get through to some people is a punch in the face, sounds like your neighbours are just that sort of people.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat098; Apr 21st 2020 at 4:01 am.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 8:01 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Australia has been one of the most successful countries at containing the spread of C19 and we have the highest testing regimes in the world (maybe Iceland is slightly ahead) - certainly we're in better shape than any nation in the Northern Hemisphere. I reckon they'll all get tested

Welcome home
Than. it'll be better when I'm back home, and I've already booked my escape.
Yes what you're saying is possibly true but don't forget in the northern hemisphere, they are still really in winter,,,,Australia still has to face that hurdle, but for me, after the last few months, 14 days is going to be like a walk in the park with my eyes closed.
Testing apparently currently here is limited asking if you have any flu-like symptoms, even if you fit the criteria including being in Hubei Province, China.
One the official information letter signed by Police Commissioner Mick Fuller, he states that " A General Practitioner (doctor) who will do a daily round of the Hotel"...three days in no doctor.
"As from today travellers will receive a phone call from an experienced nurse with expertise in mental health. This call is to check on your welfare and provide information about what is in the hotel to support you". today being 29/3.
Oddly enough the police were just here letting me know the nurse has called several times today and yesterday trying to get me.....odd because I've been no more than 18 inches from the thing most of both days (including when I'm in the bathroom) and it had never rung once. Either it's BS or they're ringing the wrong number.
After being in China I'm very suspicious of the Australian testing regime AND NSW's handling of the crisis, especially the Ruby Princess fiasco, and finding out that NSW authorities released a COVID positive person to return to Qld by aircraft last week.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 8:26 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like they've changed the rules again from last week and only just updated the websites today because it was different on Sunday when I read it.
The problem with that is if your not tested, especially from entering the country and you're asymptomatic, you could be a ticking time bomb, as seen by a person who returned from overseas last week and was "cleared" by NSW, (guess with inadequate testing) and found to be actually positive on their return to Queensland on board a fully loaded aircraft. After being in China, I'm very sceptical about the way things have been handled, because believe me they are very paranoid and skittish about people returning from different areas. 14 days, at least 3 or more tests conducted in that timeframe, personal visits from medics twice a day for temperature and welfare checks.
he temperature check is their biggest indicator, anything over 37.8 degrees and they sometimes do a verification check with the old style thermometer under the armpit. Trust me explicitly on that.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like they've changed the rules again from last week and only just updated the websites today because it was different on Sunday when I read it.
The problem with that is if your not tested, especially from entering the country and you're asymptomatic, you could be a ticking time bomb, as seen by a person who returned from overseas last week and was "cleared" by NSW, (guess with inadequate testing) and found to be actually positive on their return to Queensland on board a fully loaded aircraft. After being in China, I'm very sceptical about the way things have been handled, because believe me they are very paranoid and skittish about people returning from different areas. 14 days, at least 3 or more tests conducted in that timeframe, personal visits from medics twice a day for temperature and welfare checks.
he temperature check is their biggest indicator, anything over 37.8 degrees and they sometimes do a verification check with the old style thermometer under the armpit. Trust me explicitly on that.
Sydney is riddled with it. I live here and have had it 3 times.

Jokes aside nothing is perfect in this whole thing. There will be mistakes everywhere. Starting with the very place you just came from which unleashed it on the world.

The numbers here are pretty good at present and heading in the right direction and that's on the back of implementing a bunch of processes and rules and hoping some are met, as oppose to following a strict regime which as we have seen from other countries, like New Zealand, isn't getting as results that differ greatly.

2 weeks seems to be the guide to rid infection. It doesn't always appear to be 2 weeks is enough. Maybe return travellers should be in for 3 weeks just to be sure. Prince Charles was locked down for 7 days. The UK was peddling 7 days for a while. Not sure if they have changed that.

Are you saying you want a test?

Old Apr 21st 2020, 9:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you saying you want a test?
Considering his situation, I'd have thought they should all have had one on arrival whether they were showing symptoms or not. Who knows how many of them could be asymptomatic.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Considering his situation, I'd have thought they should all have had one on arrival whether they were showing symptoms or not. Who knows how many of them could be asymptomatic.
Is that because he has been in Hubei province? From what I can see the only place reporting new cases in China is up near the Russian border. Since Hubei is only just re-emerging slowly from total lockdown and has very few, if any new cases it should be pretty clear right?

Or are you saying test everyone? Given returning travellers are being impounded for 2 weeks (maybe it should be 3 weeks) is a test needed if they aren't sick and don't need it confirmed for medical treatment?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.