Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Old Apr 19th 2020, 10:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

6 new cases in NSW on the back of 3500 tests on Sunday. Lower numbers of Sunday testing as per usual.

Victoria 1 new case on the back of 7000 Saturday and Sunday tests.

Victoria considering coming into line with the rest of the state's and allowing golf. Maybe Victorian schools might reconsider their hard line stance on full term 2 closures. Sydney has opened the southern eastern suburbs beaches, Maroubra to Clovelly, for a run and dip only. Northern Eastern Subs beach closed - Bronte to Bondi. Will take a peek later today to see if this is creating cafe and promenade overcrowding.

Last edited by Beoz; Apr 19th 2020 at 10:39 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2020, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Zero cases in Queensland yesterday for the first time since the crisis began.

So that's seven cases across Qld, Vic and NSW.

WA reports its numbers much later, usually not until dinner time in the Eastern States.
Old Apr 20th 2020, 12:23 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'm off to Royal Perth hospital this morning, my mum and my son are both in there (neither with the coronavirus). Due to their infection protocols I'm not allowed to visit Mum, who's having a mastectomy this morning, but am allowed to visit my son for one hour as I'm his next of kin. I took him to their emergency dept. yesterday as he suddenly lost the use of his right leg and right arm. They think he has multiple sclerosis, he's 38.
The staff looking after both Mum and my son are brilliant and have put a lot of things in place to make sure patients and visitors are as safe as possible.
Old Apr 20th 2020, 12:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Zero cases in Queensland yesterday for the first time since the crisis began.

So that's seven cases across Qld, Vic and NSW.

WA reports its numbers much later, usually not until dinner time in the Eastern States.
Tasmania 6. Pending SA, WA, NT, and ACT that's 13 nationally.

Weekend results should be taken with a grain of salt though.
Old Apr 20th 2020, 6:09 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

For all those who are not connected via FB, I got back to Australia yesterday all okay, after nearly 3 months stuck in central China on what was supposed to be a 3 and a half week holiday of a lifetime.
Now slumming it at the Sheraton Grand in Sydney for the next 14 days.
Old Apr 20th 2020, 6:14 am

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
All the aisles in my Bunnings have a four person limit. I was trying to get to the tills from a back aisle, looking for one with only two people in. Finally walked down one with three, got half way down and a couple entered. As we went to pass I mentioned (politely) the four person limit and was called a ****ing Hitler. Ok then!
MP, 4 people in the entire isle is a little on the ridiculous side as it's a long way from end to end. One would think they'd have a dedicated route around the aisles to ensure it doesn't clog up the aisle at the end, unless that is also included in the 4 person rule.....but that requires some brain power and forethought.
Yes, some people are just plain ignorant and rude for no reason other than it's their nature.

Last edited by The Bloke; Apr 20th 2020 at 6:17 am.
Old Apr 20th 2020, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I'm off to Royal Perth hospital this morning, my mum and my son are both in there (neither with the coronavirus). Due to their infection protocols I'm not allowed to visit Mum, who's having a mastectomy this morning, but am allowed to visit my son for one hour as I'm his next of kin. I took him to their emergency dept. yesterday as he suddenly lost the use of his right leg and right arm. They think he has multiple sclerosis, he's 38.
The staff looking after both Mum and my son are brilliant and have put a lot of things in place to make sure patients and visitors are as safe as possible.
Good luck with that. The hospitals have the situation well in hand so I imagine everything will be fine. Best wishes for a good result from the mastectomy.

Do update us on your son's situation when you have time. Advances in medicine and technology have shown that, MS doesn't have to be the situation it was 30 years ago.
Old Apr 20th 2020, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beoz
Tasmania 6. Pending SA, WA, NT, and ACT that's 13 nationally.

Weekend results should be taken with a grain of salt though.
No cases in Western Australia, South Australia, or the Northern Territory. 1 case in the ACT - their first in the past week.

So 14 nationally.

You are right about caution and hundreds just arrived today on mercy flights from India.
Old Apr 20th 2020, 6:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
One of the other people in the aisle started telling them how to behave so I walked away. People like that, along with my bloody neighbours who keep having people round seriously bug me but I can't argue with everyone, it's exhausting.
sometimes you just have to call a twat a twat and damn the consequences. It looks like my stay in WA might be extended by another 6 months on top of my June finish time. If travel restrictions aren't lifted that'll be 9 months in total without seeing home. Probably going to get pretty tough for us but we'll get through it. I'm going to get a cleaning lady to my room once a day to tell me I'm wrong, just to make it feel like home.
Old Apr 20th 2020, 9:24 am

No cases in Western Australia, South Australia, or the Northern Territory. 1 case in the ACT - their first in the past week.

So 14 nationally.

You are right about caution and hundreds just arrived today on mercy flights from India.

Pardon if I sound skeptical about the figures in Australia being released as I wonder out of those hundreds from India, how many will actually be tested?
I arrived back in the country yesterday from China and was supposed be examined and tested as per Federal Government directive......out of 57 passengers only 5 or 6 were taken for further examination, before being placed on buses for the hotel. As a returning citizen I met the criteria for testing.The initial Q and A was verbally how do you feel? Do you have any coughs, fever, sore throat etc. PPE gear on the medics was minimal to say the least.
It was particularly humid inside the terminal, so after walking a fair distance, I was sweating a bit.....about the same amount as when the Zhongxiang Police called an ambulance with crew in hazmat gear just in case because of anomalous thermometer readings between the digital and old-style thermometer while I was waiting at a checkpoint because of a foul up with paperwork when I visited a friend after our cities were unsealed.
Old Apr 20th 2020, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So 14 nationally.

Good stuff. A few weeks of that and you might be able to open the odd pub. Borders closed of course.

An interesting article on the journey of the Magnifica. Your Premier also gets a plug.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-52350262
Old Apr 20th 2020, 10:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Pardon if I sound skeptical about the figures in Australia being released as I wonder out of those hundreds from India, how many will actually be tested?
I arrived back in the country yesterday from China and was supposed be examined and tested as per Federal Government directive......out of 57 passengers only 5 or 6 were taken for further examination, before being placed on buses for the hotel. As a returning citizen I met the criteria for testing.The initial Q and A was verbally how do you feel? Do you have any coughs, fever, sore throat etc. PPE gear on the medics was minimal to say the least.
It was particularly humid inside the terminal, so after walking a fair distance, I was sweating a bit.....about the same amount as when the Zhongxiang Police called an ambulance with crew in hazmat gear just in case because of anomalous thermometer readings between the digital and old-style thermometer while I was waiting at a checkpoint because of a foul up with paperwork when I visited a friend after our cities were unsealed.
Definitely skeptical. I would have thought quarantine at a WA hotel prior to interstate departure? I'm afraid sounds all too familiar with how so much business is conducted here. Too much for appearance and too little solving the real issues.

One thing of note. In WA, at least, the restrictions on quantity of alcohol able to be purchased has been lifted.

Last edited by the troubadour; Apr 20th 2020 at 10:10 am.
Old Apr 20th 2020, 10:22 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with that. The hospitals have the situation well in hand so I imagine everything will be fine. Best wishes for a good result from the mastectomy.

Do update us on your son's situation when you have time. Advances in medicine and technology have shown that, MS doesn't have to be the situation it was 30 years ago.
Thanks for your kind message, much appreciated.
Old Apr 20th 2020, 10:44 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Australia has been one of the most successful countries at containing the spread of C19 and we have the highest testing regimes in the world (maybe Iceland is slightly ahead) - certainly we're in better shape than any nation in the Northern Hemisphere. I reckon they'll all get tested

Welcome home
Old Apr 20th 2020, 11:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

For all those who are not connected via FB, I got back to Australia yesterday all okay, after nearly 3 months stuck in central China on what was supposed to be a 3 and a half week holiday of a lifetime.
Now slumming it at the Sheraton Grand in Sydney for the next 14 days.
I'd heard you were stuck there, hadn't heard you'd got back. Welcome home and enjoy the slumming! Be a big relief to get back to your home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.