Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Old Apr 14th 2020, 7:28 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by abner
What the hell just happened to Singapore?

After a relatively good run, the % increase in cases just went through the roof, at least on the figures shown above. I don't know any details of their lockdown protocols per se, but had been under the impression that they had had a fairly successful response, to date...?
They blamed migrant workers returning to overcrowded sleeping accommodation, upwards of 10 to a small room .
Old Apr 14th 2020, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abner
What the hell just happened to Singapore?

After a relatively good run, the % increase in cases just went through the roof, at least on the figures shown above. I don't know any details of their lockdown protocols per se, but had been under the impression that they had had a fairly successful response, to date...?
Echoing Cresta. Singapore had a very strict system of ensuring return travellers were isolating at home. Home for the migrant workers is dorms. The infected migrant workers also carried it to the very crowded construction sites. Bit of an over sight by the usually thorough Singapore govt.
Old Apr 14th 2020, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

The PM is urging teachers to return to work for the good of the kids whilst the president of the QLD teachers union is telling him to "Butt out".

Really "Butt out". Is that the best he has. Traditional union motto ......... "Me me me me me me me me".

Get back to work.
Old Apr 14th 2020, 9:49 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
The PM is urging teachers to return to work for the good of the kids whilst the president of the QLD teachers union is telling him to "Butt out".

Really "Butt out". Is that the best he has. Traditional union motto ......... "Me me me me me me me me".

Get back to work.
Best bet is to make sure all schools are closed. Not only are kids a horrible disease vector to spread the disease amongst key workers, the more kids are at home, the more their parents have to be to, so they aren't spreading it.

It not to do with unions, it's to do with terrible policy.
Old Apr 14th 2020, 10:44 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luthien
Please skip these stats if not interested.
I quite like your work actually.

We may now be approaching a peak of times per cup of coffee that news anchors can talk about 'unsung heroes in our health system'.
Old Apr 14th 2020, 11:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
Best bet is to make sure all schools are closed. Not only are kids a horrible disease vector to spread the disease amongst key workers, the more kids are at home, the more their parents have to be to, so they aren't spreading it.

It not to do with unions, it's to do with terrible policy.
Absolute nonsense. If we had or in the future have numbers like the UK, go for full lockdown including schools. But the fact is we don't and further facts to put on the table, find me an outbreak in a school anywhere in the world. Not a one off teacher or student, a nursing home style outbreak. You won't.

The unions are driving this me me me agenda.

It's going to be fun in Victoria this week watching all the teenagers the parents can't control roaming the streets.
Old Apr 14th 2020, 11:51 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Absolute nonsense. If we had or in the future have numbers like the UK, go for full lockdown including schools. But the fact is we don't and further facts to put on the table, find me an outbreak in a school anywhere in the world. Not a one off teacher or student, a nursing home style outbreak. You won't.

The unions are driving this me me me agenda.

It's going to be fun in Victoria this week watching all the teenagers the parents can't control roaming the streets.
While I agree with you and think schools should open next term (especially given our very low rates of community transmission) , they are not immune. Here's a school case in Singapore:
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...-from-overseas
Old Apr 14th 2020, 11:53 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

... find me an outbreak in a school anywhere in the world.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-...-high/12074128
Old Apr 15th 2020, 1:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
While I agree with you and think schools should open next term (especially given our very low rates of community transmission) , they are not immune. Here's a school case in Singapore:
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...-from-overseas
There are now 20 cases linked to the Fengshan pre-school cluster, 15 of whom are staff there. The remaining five are family members of the school's principal.

Thanks. Finally. Someone found a case.

Let's look at this. 15 staff. So what. What makes this any different from working in a hospital, a freight distribution centre, a supermarket.

And where are the infected kids that aren't family members of the principal?

And seriously, having a close quartered staff meeting plus close quartered staff training during this?

This is just poor form from the school.

Again, the benefit to the kids far outweighs the risk to staff, even with terrible social distancing measures amongst staff.

Old Apr 15th 2020, 1:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's not a nursing home style outbreak. That's one kid.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 1:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I am thinking the government is going to have to throw some money at the schools problem (or muzzle Daniel Andrews and his union mates.)

It worked for child care. Child care centres were deserted, then the govt threw free child care at the parents and amazingly most parents no longer put COVID 19 before taking advantage of free child care. Child care centres are back to near capacity. So sad.

Maybe throw a $1000 at the parents to get the ball rolling. If it's anything like child care, money talks.

Of course, we might find in a few weeks a cluster appears at a child care, and that's the risk we take with such low numbers of infected, address it as it comes. At least the kids are not missing out in the meantime.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 8:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

There are now 20 cases linked to the Fengshan pre-school cluster, 15 of whom are staff there. The remaining five are family members of the school's principal.

Thanks. Finally. Someone found a case.

Let's look at this. 15 staff. So what. What makes this any different from working in a hospital, a freight distribution centre, a supermarket.

And where are the infected kids that aren't family members of the principal?

And seriously, having a close quartered staff meeting plus close quartered staff training during this?

This is just poor form from the school.

Again, the benefit to the kids far outweighs the risk to staff, even with terrible social distancing measures amongst staff.
There it is again, so what if someone else cops it. What a despicable prat you are. I get the feeling only one thing is going to teach you a bit of humility, and I'm starting to hope it happens.
I am thinking the government is going to have to throw some money at the schools problem (or muzzle Daniel Andrews and his union mates.)

It worked for child care. Child care centres were deserted, then the govt threw free child care at the parents and amazingly most parents no longer put COVID 19 before taking advantage of free child care. Child care centres are back to near capacity. So sad.

Maybe throw a $1000 at the parents to get the ball rolling. If it's anything like child care, money talks.

Of course, we might find in a few weeks a cluster appears at a child care, and that's the risk we take with such low numbers of infected, address it as it comes. At least the kids are not missing out in the meantime.
Try a pre school where the parents don't worship money and hate their kids, of the 3 that my wife is involved with, 1 is closing down and 2 are operating at 1/3 capacity. You need to get out more and see the real picture. Oh, and a risk WE take,do tell what risks you're taking, I won't get too much popcorn, can't see it being a huge list.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat098; Apr 15th 2020 at 9:01 am.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 9:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I understand why people want schools open however given how dumb many humans have shown themselves to be I think it's a bad idea. People are finally waking up to the fact the only way of keeping the curve flattened is to socially distance. As soon as you open schools they will decide there's no need for everyone else to socially distance. This was the problem before the schools closed for Easter and we'll be back to square one.

Kids are generally asymptomatic so unless you're going to continually test them there is no way of telling if they're spreading the virus. And a school isn't just children. I just think it's too problematic.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 9:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I understand why people want schools open however given how dumb many humans have shown themselves to be I think it's a bad idea. People are finally waking up to the fact the only way of keeping the curve flattened is to socially distance. As soon as you open schools they will decide there's no need for everyone else to socially distance. This was the problem before the schools closed for Easter and we'll be back to square one.

Kids are generally asymptomatic so unless you're going to continually test them there is no way of telling if they're spreading the virus. And a school isn't just children. I just think it's too problematic.
exactly right, a school isn't just children. The curve may well be flattening, and well done to those that have overseen it, but I see no sense in taking their foot of it's throat now, when I stands every chance of biting us in the arse.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
There it is again, so what if someone else cops it. What a despicable prat you are. I get the feeling only one thing is going to teach you a bit of humility, and I'm starting to hope it happens.

Try a pre school where the parents don't worship money and hate their kids, of the 3 that my wife is involved with, 1 is closing down and 2 are operating at 1/3 capacity. You need to get out more and see the real picture. Oh, and a risk WE take,do tell what risks you're taking, I won't get too much popcorn, can't see it being a huge list.
There you are again. Only thinking about your wife and the tiny chance, almost impossible chance, she might catch a bit of Coronavirus. Do you have a broader mind? Does Wollongong actually have any cases? Maybe do some research and figure out the facts and while you are there, perhaps do a bit of research about the detrimental health effects no day care gives the broader population (not just your own fear factor) of children, parents, businesses, supply chain, and the day care itself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.