Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Old Apr 13th 2020, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

6 new cases in Western Australia today. Of that 5 from cruise ships.

This is the third day in a row where there has only been 1 confirmed case that was not from a cruise ship.

I am with Beoz however - we need to wait and see how the numbers are affected by people doing the wrong thing over Easter. We'll start to get a clearer picture next week.
Old Apr 13th 2020, 6:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Then we'll have no economy. Jobkeeper and Jobseeker cannot be afforded for that length of time - forget recession make that major depression - with all the associated rioting and social breakdown

Choices are going to be have to be made. None of this is easy
Exactly. Realistically, we need to go at the pace we are and let healthy people contract the virus at a slower rate. Then allow people to start holidaying etc in our own country to get the economy rolling again. A lot of people have been able to adapt to working from home well, keep it going that way for as long as possible.
Old Apr 13th 2020, 6:10 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Exactly. Realistically, we need to go at the pace we are and let healthy people contract the virus at a slower rate. Then allow people to start holidaying etc in our own country to get the economy rolling again. A lot of people have been able to adapt to working from home well, keep it going that way for as long as possible.
That's it. Unfortunately, working from home is only an option for a percentage of the workforce
I think the expected antibody test is the key
Old Apr 13th 2020, 6:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

But the economy is not ticking over nicely. Mining and a few other areas are doing well but most of the economy is suffering. Business, wealth, aspiration is being torched before our very eyes - and our children are going to be paying this climbing debt off. Trump was right when he said (but because he said it, was shouted down by the MSM) that the cure cannot be worse than the disease. We're okay now but if we're still locked down like this by June, we're going to be in a world of hurt with no sector of the economy immune. Somewhere along the line, risk is going to be have to be managed
it is when you compare it to places in full lockdown. This thing has hit us during summer, we don't know how it'll behave once the colder weather comes, so I don't see the sense in rushing into opening up again until we know. I actually thought trump was spot on with that.
Old Apr 13th 2020, 6:26 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
it is when you compare it to places in full lockdown. This thing has hit us during summer, we don't know how it'll behave once the colder weather comes, so I don't see the sense in rushing into opening up again until we know. I actually thought trump was spot on with that.
Yes, winter will be a test but fortunately we have one of the mildest winter systems on the planet. Apart from a few places, winter here is like spring in Northern/Western Europe
Old Apr 13th 2020, 6:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

That's it. Unfortunately, working from home is only an option for a percentage of the workforce
I think the expected antibody test is the key
But the percentage that CAN work from home should. I'm doing both at the moment, but the 750 students that come in weekly are having online lessons and most of the teachers are setting up their virtual music rooms at home. Alfs office is doing week about shifts from home, that way there are smaller numbers in the confined office space, but still people onsite for hands on issues. There could be some great stuff that comes out of this.
Old Apr 13th 2020, 6:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

"When all of this started to happen" before Phase 1 commenced, when Australia was closing just international borders. I was asking him about locking down and that was his take on it. Keep schools open for essential workers children, allow people to grocery shop etc with social distancing - has to happen for six months. Close everything completely, has to happen for 18 months. It won't be a six week fix like people think if we completely lockdown.
We don't know yet. We may struggle to shake it. Some countries have struggled to shake it but then again those countries have only just imposed mandatory quarrentine in the last week. We have done 2 and a half weeks. Our numbers are such we don't need a full lockdown at present. Other countries do. It may come if it gets out of hand, but today it's in hand. The post Easter figures will be interesting. And full lockdown means everything except essential services. It means the economy doesn't tick along, more people lose jobs, more mental illness, more domestic violence, and a much harder recovery on the other side.

The current layout is where we need to be today. Tomorrow might be a different story. No one has done this before including your friend.
Old Apr 13th 2020, 7:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beoz
We don't know yet. We may struggle to shake it. Some countries have struggled to shake it but then again those countries have only just imposed mandatory quarrentine in the last week. We have done 2 and a half weeks. Our numbers are such we don't need a full lockdown at present. Other countries do. It may come if it gets out of hand, but today it's in hand. The post Easter figures will be interesting. And full lockdown means everything except essential services. It means the economy doesn't tick along, more people lose jobs, more mental illness, more domestic violence, and a much harder recovery on the other side.

The current layout is where we need to be today. Tomorrow might be a different story. No one has done this before including your friend.
And neither myself or the guy I was talking to are saying anything different to you, so I don't get your argument. It's a learning experience for everyone. My initial comment was pretty much to those saying that we should completely lockdown and it'll be over in a few weeks and we can get back to normal.
Old Apr 13th 2020, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Dmorgan07 is an unknown quantity at this point

And neither myself or the guy I was talking to are saying anything different to you, so I don't get your argument. It's a learning experience for everyone. My initial comment was pretty much to those saying that we should completely lockdown and it'll be over in a few weeks and we can get back to normal.
I don't know why people are trying their best to argue with what you are saying. I understood perfectly that you were saying that the stance we are currently taking is the correct one, in support of exactly what everyone on here is saying!

Honestly, I feel a bit disappointed by this forum. As a British expat not long in Australia (only 2 years) I've been feeling very anxious about the family I've left behind in England and how of my current situation here for myself and family. I reached out to this forum to find out how other people were coping and try and get some comfort from like-minded people. All I've read so far is politics, arguing and stats- the post is entitled "how is evergone doing?" for goodness sakes! I feel like the initial sentiment of the post has gone awry and it feels like there is a real lack of compassion on here (from the perspective of a newbie).

I would like to hear how people are coping mentally, financially, physically? Is everyone doing ok? How are people spending their days? Etc etc.
Old Apr 13th 2020, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it's also what the PM and CMO are setting expectations for but 6 months is not going to work either. There is only 6 months worth in the kitty so we need to be up and running by then, with borders still closed. We will be going for herd immunity if we can't eradicate it by then. A vaccine is unlikely.
Old Apr 13th 2020, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dmorgan07
I don't know why people are trying their best to argue with what you are saying. I understood perfectly that you were saying that the stance we are currently taking is the correct one, in support of exactly what everyone on here is saying!

Honestly, I feel a bit disappointed by this forum. As a British expat not long in Australia (only 2 years) I've been feeling very anxious about the family I've left behind in England and how of my current situation here for myself and family. I reached out to this forum to find out how other people were coping and try and get some comfort from like-minded people. All I've read so far is politics, arguing and stats- the post is entitled "how is evergone doing?" for goodness sakes! I feel like the initial sentiment of the post has gone awry and it feels like there is a real lack of compassion on here (from the perspective of a newbie).

I would like to hear how people are coping mentally, financially, physically? Is everyone doing ok? How are people spending their days? Etc etc.
People have different ways of coping. As you can see some like to understand the plan, it helps with understanding what they are headed into. Others work in different ways. Each to their own.
Old Apr 13th 2020, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Beoz
People have different ways of coping. As you can see some like to understand the plan, it helps with understanding what they are headed into. Others work in different ways. Each to their own.
yes I agree- it seems like some people cope by shouting down the opinions of others as quickly as they can. I guess it must make them feel better...
Old Apr 13th 2020, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

I am very interested to hear from Pollyana. Have you managed to sort your problems out getting your groceries?
Old Apr 13th 2020, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I agree with you. People are stressed enough, why cause more grief. We should pull together and help each other through the uncertainty.

I've been on this forum for over a decade (despite being Australian) and seen the decline of helpful and funny stuff being posted. A lot of posters got fed up with the constant negativity and left.

Let's turn this around. So how are you doing?
Old Apr 13th 2020, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I am very interested to hear from Pollyana. Have you managed to sort your problems out getting your groceries?
She still has grog and managed to find loo paper so I think she's good. 😀

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.