Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Old Apr 3rd 2020, 8:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by bcworld
I can see you've got a new buzzword. It won't matter what anyone says, the answer will be 'contact tracing'.
I've been peddling it for a while now. You don't like it? You don't think it helps keep the death rate low working in tandem with high testing? We are hardly in the type of lockdown other countries have ...... yet ..... They will want to keep it that way and avoid full lockdown.
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 9:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
One thing I've decided about this saga - I've never really wanted to go on a cruise ship (why?), but now I never will
I have never seen the appeal either. Maybe I am missing out. Seems like an RSL club on water. Maybe the marketing is all wrong. One thing is for certain, it's going to take the cruise industry a long time to recover from this. Plus the cities and ports they go to will suffer too.
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 11:30 pm
Excessively Diverted

Luthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond repute

Today's spreadsheet - last night’s reports from the CMO indicated that we still haven’t hit our peak of the curve. The modelling suggests that Qld could even be much later as in August/ September. There is a bit of Influenza A about.

Get your flu shots people and stay home.

Old Apr 4th 2020, 2:32 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luthien
Yesterday's growth rate was 6.65%.
2 April Spreadsheet
Yesterday was the 3rd, today is the 4th.

Rates over the previous few days are :

1st April 7%
2nd April 6%
3rd April 4%
4th April 4% (so far)

We are at 16 days doubling time. Which is about as good as it's going to get and the right time to go hard or see this drag on for months on end (which practically means it will go off the rails).
Old Apr 4th 2020, 2:32 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Luthien
Today's spreadsheet - last night’s reports from the CMO indicated that we still haven’t hit our peak of the curve. The modelling suggests that Qld could even be much later as in August/ September. There is a bit of Influenza A about.

Get your flu shots people and stay home.

I can't get my flu jab here in NZ.

I think the rise in cases over the past couple of days for NZ is because more testing has been rolled out. The criteria also altered somewhat.
Old Apr 4th 2020, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I can't get my flu jab here in NZ.

I think the rise in cases over the past couple of days for NZ is because more testing has been rolled out. The criteria also altered somewhat.
Same here. In Western Australia you can now get a test if you're showing a fever of 38 and have respiratory symptoms.

I think flu jabs are still available in some places but many GPs have closed completely to visitors and are only doing teleconsults, which are now temporarily being funded by Medicare.
Old Apr 4th 2020, 3:35 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I have never seen the appeal either. Maybe I am missing out. Seems like an RSL club on water. Maybe the marketing is all wrong. One thing is for certain, it's going to take the cruise industry a long time to recover from this. Plus the cities and ports they go to will suffer too.
Floating around on the water, eating - and then visiting a great city or town for a few hours. No thanks. Friends of ours went on a cruise around the Med - 4-5 huge meals a day and then they visited Venice - for 12 hours

F**k that
Old Apr 4th 2020, 3:59 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Floating around on the water, eating - and then visiting a great city or town for a few hours. No thanks. Friends of ours went on a cruise around the Med - 4-5 huge meals a day and then they visited Venice - for 12 hours

F**k that
I don't get it either. Just one big all inclusive tin can chugging along with the occasional landfall . It is not as if those on board really get to see any place. Just the odd excursion maybe which also seems odd to me. It's not travel really and you don't get to experience anything really from what I have heard. Why not just go to an all inclusive resort somewhere and do the exact same thing.
Old Apr 4th 2020, 4:14 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Same here. In Western Australia you can now get a test if you're showing a fever of 38 and have respiratory symptoms.

I think flu jabs are still available in some places but many GPs have closed completely to visitors and are only doing teleconsults, which are now temporarily being funded by Medicare.
Pharmacies can give flu shots in WA.
Old Apr 4th 2020, 5:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
Yesterday was the 3rd, today is the 4th.

Rates over the previous few days are :

1st April 7%
2nd April 6%
3rd April 4%
4th April 4% (so far)

We are at 16 days doubling time. Which is about as good as it's going to get and the right time to go hard or see this drag on for months on end (which practically means it will go off the rails).
You suggesting total lockdown for a month?
Old Apr 4th 2020, 5:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

F**k that
It's not really a selling points is it.
Old Apr 4th 2020, 5:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reports starting to circulate from many sources suggest China's real case number was 3.3 million with a 130,000 deaths.
Old Apr 4th 2020, 9:43 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

You suggesting total lockdown for a month?
2-3 weeks

Better than the alternative, which is to, in theory, see this drag on till July/Aug at the earliest. I say in theory, since I don't see it happening in practice. So the real alternative is 500k deaths. Plus riots.
Old Apr 4th 2020, 10:56 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Reports starting to circulate from many sources suggest China's real case number was 3.3 million with a 130,000 deaths.
Indonesia also has a...'nothing to see here' policy...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN21L2XU
Old Apr 4th 2020, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
2-3 weeks

Better than the alternative, which is to, in theory, see this drag on till July/Aug at the earliest. I say in theory, since I don't see it happening in practice. So the real alternative is 500k deaths. Plus riots.
I am not sure 2-3 weeks will be long enough. For starters the virus can stick around on some surfaces for 5 days, then there's up to a 2 week incubation period, 2 week symptom period, then a period for the undetected and asymptomatic.

2 months of lockdown to be sure of a full stamp out. Maybe even more as it's a multiplier virus.

It will be interesting to see where NZ is at the end of their 4 weeks. They are about 2 weeks in and still seeing growth in new cases, and they have bugger all cases in the grand scheme of things.

I am in 2 minds on this. Not totally against full lock down especially if it gets out of control but today (and I say today as things can change rapidly) things are in control and the effects on many fronts of full lockdown are much more intense to what they are now.

Bearing in mind the world is not going to operate for the next 6 month's at the earliest anyway, is dragging it along with a degree functionality, providing its in a degree of control, that bad?

Not sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.