Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Old Apr 2nd 2020, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Dmorgan07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Coronavirus - how's everyone doing?

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
until parents have enough confidence to send their kids back to preschool en masse it won't matter. My wife's pre school has been on the bones of it's arse with only 6 of the usual 40 kids turning up. The owner has had to take out a loan to pay wages, all because there was no answer from the government. The saddest thing of all though is that parents are slowly bringing kids back (up to 10 today) and the main reason is I just can't cope with them at home full time. That's sad.
After this announcement today we are expecting that many will return as it is open for everyone that had their child in a centre.
However, seems contradictory that this week we opened only for essential workers children for safety reasons in line with schools, but now everybody come back next week. I know the evidence suggests that children are not spreading etc seems bizarre that at a time when everything is being closed down and we are told to stay home as much as possible they've flung open the doors even to parents who are unemployed at home? Can parents not stand their own children?
Does this mean the schools are opening again or not? It's maddening that it's one thing for one and not the other.
Its difficult because on the flip side, at least my job is safe for another few weeks or whatever. I guess I'm just a moaner who isn't satisfied either way 😂
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 10:03 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Premier Mark McGowan has announced that from Sunday night, Western Australia will have a "hard border" and nobody except those in essential employment will be allowed entry. McGowan said that this means Western Australians outside of the state, who want to re-enter after Sunday, will be denied entry.
Spare a thought for any Western Australians who have recently arrived to another state from overseas. They are allowed to return to WA, after completing their 14 day quarantine, then on entering WA they have to once again start 14 days self isolation...28 days!
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 10:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Spare a thought for any Western Australians who have recently arrived to another state from overseas. They are allowed to return to WA, after completing their 14 day quarantine, then on entering WA they have to once again start 14 days self isolation...28 days!
Ouch. Maybe the powers at be can look at that one. They turned golf back on.
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Ouch. Maybe the powers at be can look at that one. They turned golf back on.
My understanding from the Premier's statements is no - if they are in the Eastern States past Sunday, they don't come back at all, West Australian or not, until the hard border is lifted unless they are in an essential occupation.

So, yes, will have to be looked at for those who are already here and only still in the Eastern States because of a mandatory enforced quarantine. Those still overseas, I imagine from this announcement, need to route themselves directly into Perth (Qatar Airways is still operating from Doha) in the next few days, and not through the Eastern States . . . though the hard border may apply to that too from Sunday.
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 10:34 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
My understanding from the Premier's statements is no - if they are in the Eastern States past Sunday, they don't come back at all, West Australian or not, until the hard border is lifted unless they are in an essential occupation.
From his Facebook post:

A specific exemption has been created for those who have travelled back to Australia and are currently in compulsory self-isolation over east.

You will be able to travel home once you have completed your self-isolation.

Once you arrive back in Western Australia, you will be required to undergo an additional 14 days of self-isolation at home.
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

From his Facebook post:
Excellent, thank you for the clarification.
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dmorgan07
After this announcement today we are expecting that many will return as it is open for everyone that had their child in a centre.
However, seems contradictory that this week we opened only for essential workers children for safety reasons in line with schools, but now everybody come back next week.
Why did you only open for essential workers? All other Child Care Centres were operating as normal, with numbers down through fear, parents losing jobs, etc. I know our one is only about 20% down, To the best of my knowledge there was no message to say Child Care Centres were for essential workers only.

I know the evidence suggests that children are not spreading etc seems bizarre that at a time when everything is being closed down and we are told to stay home as much as possible they've flung open the doors even to parents who are unemployed at home? Can parents not stand their own children?
The medical people have said time and time again that they are juggling health risks and economic risk. To date, they have been right. There has been the odd case of a transmission, but no outbreak. Its almost impossible to keep a job going, and in turn be part of the economy if a sub 5 child around. What is the problem here?

Does this mean the schools are opening again or not? It's maddening that it's one thing for one and not the other.
Government schools have always been open. In NSW at least they have said if you can keep your kids at home do so. I think Victoria took early school holidays. Many private schools have shut - they are private so can do what they want.

Its difficult because on the flip side, at least my job is safe for another few weeks or whatever. I guess I'm just a moaner who isn't satisfied either way 😂
You will keep your job for at least 6 months - thats how long the government is keeping the Child Care industry a float - and rightly so - working parents are major contributors to the economy and the whole of Australia relies directly and indirectly on child care. You are an essential service.

Last edited by Beoz; Apr 2nd 2020 at 12:19 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 12:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
until parents have enough confidence to send their kids back to preschool en masse it won't matter. My wife's pre school has been on the bones of it's arse with only 6 of the usual 40 kids turning up. The owner has had to take out a loan to pay wages, all because there was no answer from the government. The saddest thing of all though is that parents are slowly bringing kids back (up to 10 today) and the main reason is I just can't cope with them at home full time. That's sad.
Yep. If parents are working they can't cope with a kid under 5 at home. They cannot entertain themselves. Fact of life. Plus the fear factor of Coronavirus in Child Care and Schools is starting to pass. Come Monday when Child Care becomes free you probably find a near full class.
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Why did you only open for essential workers? All other Child Care Centres were operating as normal, with numbers down through fear, parents losing jobs, etc. I know our one is only about 20% down, To the best of my knowledge there was no message to say Child Care Centres were for essential workers only.

The medical people have said time and time again that they are juggling health risks and economic risk. To date, they have been right. There has been the odd case of a transmission, but no outbreak. Its almost impossible to keep a job going, and in turn be part of the economy if a sub 5 child around. What is the problem here?

Government schools have always been open. In NSW at least they have said if you can keep your kids at home do so. I think Victoria took early school holidays. Many private schools have shut - they are private so can do what they want.

You will keep your job for at least 6 months - thats how long the government is keeping the Child Care industry a float - and rightly so - working parents are major contributors to the economy and the whole of Australia relies directly and indirectly on child care. You are an essential service.
The schools in QLD closed early to all non-essential workers that's why the centres here have too. Essential worker is anyone with a job tho so the numbers only decreased a little from last week, which was already on its bare bones. Just wonder if qld schools are going to reopen to everyone after Easter or they are going with the current online learning? Just think if it's safe for them to come to kindy then they can go back to school too? I was only joking about the parents not being able to stand their own children 😂
The government have said that they are trialling free childcare for 1 month so I will have a job for at least that amount of time which is good. I am so grateful to still be working. I think childcare workers in general are just feeling a little demoralised at the moment as is everyone I guess.
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 1:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The schools in QLD closed early to all non-essential workers that's why the centres here have too. Essential worker is anyone with a job tho so the numbers only decreased a little from last week, which was already on its bare bones. Just wonder if qld schools are going to reopen to everyone after Easter or they are going with the current online learning? Just think if it's safe for them to come to kindy then they can go back to school too? I was only joking about the parents not being able to stand their own children 😂
The government have said that they are trialling free childcare for 1 month so I will have a job for at least that amount of time which is good. I am so grateful to still be working. I think childcare workers in general are just feeling a little demoralised at the moment as is everyone I guess.
Yep. Agree. Kindy / schools. All should be open at this point. Contact tracing is still possible so they should be all open.

Ok just read the premier bowed to public pressure and put on a pupil free week. This is the QLD public. Not the sharpest bunch in Australia. Commonly known fact.
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 1:10 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. Agree. Kindy / schools. All should be open at this point. Contact tracing is still possible so they should be all open.

Ok just read the premier bowed to public pressure and put on a pupil free week. This is the QLD public. Not the sharpest bunch in Australia. Commonly known fact.
Or at least one parent is now out of work so at home and can look after their children - all the people I know with school age kids are in this situation. Tourism and hospitality are massive, they're pretty shut down. Our Premier is not known for being completely truthful or for knowing her arse from her elbow imo.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Apr 2nd 2020 at 2:01 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute

However, seems contradictory that this week we opened only for essential workers children for safety reasons in line with schools, but now everybody come back next week. I know the evidence suggests that children are not spreading etc seems bizarre that at a time when everything is being closed down and we are told to stay home as much as possible they've flung open the doors even to parents who are unemployed at home? Can parents not stand their own children?
See, this makes me sad. I know my child is little (15 weeks) but how can a parent not stand to be at home with their child(ren). Especially as my constant fear is bringing it home to him seeing as I am an essential worker
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Or at least one parent is now out of work so at home and can look after their children - all the people I know with school age kids are in this situation. Tourism and hospitality are massive, they're pretty shut down. Our Premier is not known for being completely truthful or for knowing her arse from her elbow imo.
Hopefully parents that aren't working will not be tempted to start venturing out now they don't have children to look after at home. I just don't see how if the advice is "only go out if it is essential- for work, exercise or essential supplies" means people who are now at home anyway can go out to take their kids to kindy?
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Clacfart
See, this makes me sad. I know my child is little (15 weeks) but how can a parent not stand to be at home with their child(ren). Especially as my constant fear is bringing it home to him seeing as I am an essential worker
You'd be suprised. Lots of parents don't know how to spend time with their children, nor want to teach them right from wrong, basic social skills etc. Many children go home from school or kindy and go straight on an ipad so parents don't have to deal with their behaviour- now they are confronted with it all day.
A few weeks ago, I approached a parent who to talk about their child's development (language issues and behavioural problems) and asked if we could have a quick chat. I took the opportunity because due to my shift I never see her face to face- she always drops him off at 7 and picks up at 6. She had come in later that morning dressed in own clothes and with her 2 older kids dressed in their own clothes too, so I figured she was either working from home or not in work at all and could have a moment to chat with me. She said she couldn't wait for 5 mins to talk but would arrange a meeting with me for sometime that week. 3 weeks later, I'm still waiting...
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 9:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Under a $1.6 billion measure, providers will be paid 50 per cent of their fee revenue up to the existing hourly rate cap based on enrolment levels before the mass exodus of children at the start of March.

To be eligible for the payments, providers must stay open, not charge any fees and prioritise care for children of essential workers, vulnerable and disadvantaged children and those previously enrolled.

According to the PM and essential worker is anyone who has a job. Someone contributing to the economy.

Previously enrolled gets a priority. I guess if the centre becomes full then it's the centre's responsibility to give the priority to a "previously enrolled workers" over a "previously enrolled". Someone who has lost their job should get the placement bump.

Last edited by Beoz; Apr 2nd 2020 at 9:08 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.