Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

for the contributory parents who had thread closed

for the contributory parents who had thread closed

Old Jan 21st 2007, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: for the contributory parents who had thread closed

Originally Posted by lorraine111
hi martin
thanks for that. i will soon be without my pc and will be relying on using friends etc so i just wanted to refresh in my mind the things i have yet to tackle.
i have read about ozforex and think i will move the money that way when we have the visa but until we have it, just want to make sure i am covering what is probably going to be the biggest amount of money we will ever have in our bank account being in the right place! also as you can imagine once we get asked for the money from popc there is no way we want any delays from us!!!
so sorry derek that you are set back by a few weeks it does mean so much at this late stage hang in there we are all thinking of you.
regards
lorraine
Lorraine

No worries always happy to help ........but I wish to offer some advise when transfering

We used HIFX and the were great , but in hindsight I would open up accounts with Ozforex and HIFX and if you have the drive play them off against each other ........i.e if say 1 offers you $2.30 tell the other they offered you $2.31 and see how far you get even if you only get an extra $0.02 from doing this it is worth it I would presummse mostpeople going on this visa are at a time in their life were they donot intead to work when they get here or transfer all their life savings so on £200,000 the extra 2c will give you $4,000 ( this will pay for the flights I would think )

Have fun and enjoy the ride
Old Jan 21st 2007, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

DerekM is an unknown quantity at this point

hi martin
thanks for that. i will soon be without my pc and will be relying on using friends etc so i just wanted to refresh in my mind the things i have yet to tackle.
i have read about ozforex and think i will move the money that way when we have the visa but until we have it, just want to make sure i am covering what is probably going to be the biggest amount of money we will ever have in our bank account being in the right place! also as you can imagine once we get asked for the money from popc there is no way we want any delays from us!!!
so sorry derek that you are set back by a few weeks it does mean so much at this late stage hang in there we are all thinking of you.
regards
lorraine
Thanks Jim and Lorraine and all who replied regarding the medical issue. After 13 months whats another few weeks.....sigh! :-) I did wait for 6 months before having the medical not anticipating or indeed knowing of any problems so the result came as a total surprise. I was more worried about my wife....beforehand!! Male optimism hey!
Anyway as far as money transfers go I use all internet banking but there are a few things to watch out for. For example HSBC allow a max of 10k per internet transfer so you have to do it daily if you want to transfer say 30k to Oz Forex as I did recently. You should consider opening a high interest easy access a/c in Oz such as ANZ VB for example to keep the money ready for when you need it.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 9:17 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DerekM
For example HSBC allow a max of 10k per internet transfer so you have to do it daily if you want to transfer say 30k to Oz Forex as I did recently.
Another money tip. Sometimes banks don't allow you to transfer more than a small amount due to potential money laundering, hence max 10k you mention Derek... .

With some banks [they all differ] you may be able to transfer a higher amount but it has to be performed by the bank, sometimes at a cost and with restrictions for eg you may have to call into the bank in person with ID. This can help if you have large amounts to transfer and limited time in which to do it. It's worth checking out with the bank and asking if large transfer amounts are poss for a fee. This saves transferring small daily amounts.

Good luck Derek and everyone else going through this process.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 8:46 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Another money tip. Sometimes banks don't allow you to transfer more than a small amount due to potential money laundering, hence max 10k you mention Derek... .

With some banks [they all differ] you may be able to transfer a higher amount but it has to be performed by the bank, sometimes at a cost and with restrictions for eg you may have to call into the bank in person with ID. This can help if you have large amounts to transfer and limited time in which to do it. It's worth checking out with the bank and asking if large transfer amounts are poss for a fee. This saves transferring small daily amounts.

Good luck Derek and everyone else going through this process.

........... and forget the credit card route - most will charge you between 2.5 - 3.00 % for the privilege of moving your money around

For what its worth, we used HIFX for the transfer of our major funds (house proceeds!) done through a personal visit to our local bank branch. Can't remember the bank charge for this - something like £20 I think. We have used Ozforex online for all further monthly transfers of funds from UK - an easy and simple transaction.

Regards

Jim
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

lorraine111 will become famous soon enoughlorraine111 will become famous soon enough
Red face Re: for the contributory parents who had thread closed

hi
thanks everyone for your advise. the sale goes through next wednesday and it is a really stressful time as you can all appreciate! even the simple things turn out a problem. however, i am still thinking that this is the best way for us to be doing things and keep the thought of eventually getting to my children and grandchildren in australia in my mind at all time.
regards lorraine
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 6:42 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

hi
thanks everyone for your advise. the sale goes through next wednesday and it is a really stressful time as you can all appreciate! even the simple things turn out a problem. however, i am still thinking that this is the best way for us to be doing things and keep the thought of eventually getting to my children and grandchildren in australia in my mind at all time.
regards lorraine
Good luck lorraine. You're nearly there
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Todays medical as requested by DIMA.
It went very well and I was given the all clear by all Dr's and a repeat Class A pass and it was posted off by DHL tonight, hopefully should at Perth by Fri, Monday at the latest.
Soooo... why have Oz medical officials downgraded it to a Class B the last time?? My guess now is the scan I had in Oz on Medicaire a couple of years ago when I had a bad back - at the time it was thought to be kidney stones! It was eventually cured by vigorous spinal massage!! Hmm, have not had any problems since. I am now waiting for DIMA's response this time! But anyway even if its the same, I'll soon find out the answer!
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 8:18 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

It went very well and I was given the all clear by all Dr's and a repeat Class A pass and it was posted off by DHL tonight, hopefully should at Perth by Fri, Monday at the latest.
Soooo... why have Oz medical officials downgraded it to a Class B the last time?? My guess now is the scan I had in Oz on Medicaire a couple of years ago when I had a bad back - at the time it was thought to be kidney stones! It was eventually cured by vigorous spinal massage!! Hmm, have not had any problems since. I am now waiting for DIMA's response this time! But anyway even if its the same, I'll soon find out the answer!
Fingers crossed then, Derek !

Jim
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 11:01 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jimclevs
Fingers crossed then, Derek !

Jim
ditto derek.........fingers crossed for you.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: was Bradford then poole dorset then Sydney,Forster, Kanwal,Gosford,and now Erina
FRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Derek hope everything goes well for you.
Janet
Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

lorraine111 will become famous soon enoughlorraine111 will become famous soon enough
Red face Re: for the contributory parents who had thread closed

hi derek
everything crossed here as well. good luck it should be really soon now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
regards
lorraine
Old Jan 27th 2007, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

sapphire3 is a jewel in the roughsapphire3 is a jewel in the roughsapphire3 is a jewel in the roughsapphire3 is a jewel in the roughsapphire3 is a jewel in the rough

Does anyone have any idea, please, which month they are processing now for the 143 Contributory Parents Visa?

My application was lodged 6th June 2006, acknowledged, and money taken 13th June.

My son is telling me I should be getting a Police check done now in readiness for their request but I don't want to do it too soon.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sapphire3
Does anyone have any idea, please, which month they are processing now for the 143 Contributory Parents Visa?

My application was lodged 6th June 2006, acknowledged, and money taken 13th June.

My son is telling me I should be getting a Police check done now in readiness for their request but I don't want to do it too soon.
Not sure about 143's but a page or 2 back someone on a Temp visa request dated Feb was contacted by DIMA and allocated a CO. I suggest you scan back a few pages of the thread and you will get an idea of the latest progress. As for PCC's well they only last for 12 months so if you are progressed by June/July without any hitches such as my medical etc then you should 6 months or so to validate. It is a stamina sapping and frustrating wait!!
Old Jan 27th 2007, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

sapphire3 is a jewel in the roughsapphire3 is a jewel in the roughsapphire3 is a jewel in the roughsapphire3 is a jewel in the roughsapphire3 is a jewel in the rough

Thank you. I will look further back on the thread as you suggest.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sapphire3
Thank you. I will look further back on the thread as you suggest.
March

I agree with your son you deffo applty for the police chacks as they can take 6 weeks or so and your meds if you have not already done so

Martin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.